Retained List

12 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Cashin is a special player, but quick strikers are always going to give him pause for thought. I'm not at all worried about his ability to step up to the Championship and I'm positive he will be one of the best centre backs in the league, but at the next level it could be difficult for him.

Joe Taylor, who did give him fits and is the only player in the league to do so this season, is going to be a player who I suspect will have a very fruitful season at Championship level next season if Luton are relegated or on loan somewhere. In terms of strikers I've seen at League One, the likes of Alfie May is an accomplished poacher but lacks quickness to really impact at the next level. Joe Taylor on the limited bits I've seen seems to have that quickness. 

I'd take him today and was a bit miffed we'd missed out on loan.  Pure pace makes a big difference in a team as we've seen previously.  Luton will keep him if they drop though.

I think defence is ok, particularly with Nyambe and Rooney back. I imagine Warne will want a 5-3-2 system for most games, so a proper left wing back to come in to compete with Sibs.

Keep Fozzy for one more year as back up to Cashin and Elder for when we play a 4-3-3 system. If we can afford it keep Corey Smith for another season. If we cannot afford the new strikers then I would give Collins another year.

Let go.                       Bring in

Hourihane.                 Left midfield

Bird.                            Right midfield

Adams.                       Centre midfield (hopefully Adams)

Collins.                        Striker

Gayle.                          Striker

Waghorn.                     Striker

TJJ.                              D.Brown

Barkhuizen                  D.Robinson

Left wing back

22 hours ago, Ramarena said:

I mentioned Brown. I’d like to see him stay, kick on and get a chance to be considered 3rd choice behind the new strikers we bring in.

Might be a tall order for him but he’s got talent. Having the likes of Collins and Waghorn around will block his potential progress.

As I said in the post you quoted, Dajaune Brown is contracted to Derby until the summer of 2026. That means he IS staying. If he does the business in pre season he'll be 1st team squad. If he fails to impress to the required levels pre season he'll be loaned out to a L1 or L2 side for the season with possible  recall clauses in January and/or if all our strikers are injured.

Release: Loach, Smith, Hourihane, Waghorn.

I am comfortable with keeping Smith in the squad for a year if that's the way we choose to go, but I do think we're in danger of letting recency bias override what was a pretty average season for him up the last 6 games or so.

Transfer list/available for loan: Elder, Fornah, Washington

Keep: the rest 

1 hour ago, MadAmster said:

As I said in the post you quoted, Dajaune Brown is contracted to Derby until the summer of 2026. That means he IS staying. If he does the business in pre season he'll be 1st team squad. If he fails to impress to the required levels pre season he'll be loaned out to a L1 or L2 side for the season with possible  recall clauses in January and/or if all our strikers are injured.

Of course. I just hope he’s not loaned out without being given much of a chance because he’s blocked by players who should really be surplus to requirements.

16 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

I think Barkhuizen should stay, was looking really good in the 10 role & his pressing was a key part on a frw goals at the time, shame he got an injury.

Some players will suit the Champ more than LG1, I think Barkhuizen is one of them.

This. We need plenty of players in the squad with Championship experience and Barkhuizen is one, as is Elder who, in my opinion, was settling into the LWB quite nicely when he picked up his injury before the run-in. In L1, I thought Barks was a bit too frail and dodged/ducked out of challenges, but he spent years in the championship and did pretty well there.

I think we have to retain the ball better in the Champ because we won't get it back as easily off better players and they will punish us more harshly when we do give it away.

Only two players have over 80% pass accuracy for this season and that's Nyambe and Hourihane.

I'd keep Hourihane as a squad player for that reason - and he does provide goals and assists - but I think we'll need a tweaked style of play and not just players who are better at doing what we've done.

If you look on Whoscored stats there's a reasonable trend between number of players with pass accuracy over 80% and league position for the Champ.

2 minutes ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

I think we have to retain the ball better in the Champ because we won't get it back as easily off better players and they will punish us more harshly when we do give it away.

Only two players have over 80% pass accuracy for this season and that's Nyambe and Hourihane.

I'd keep Hourihane as a squad player for that reason - and he does provide goals and assists - but I think we'll need a tweaked style of play and not just players who are better at doing what we've done.

If you look on Whoscored stats there's a reasonable trend between number of players with pass accuracy over 80% and league position for the Champ.

I just don't understand what you can possibly have watched to think Hourihane would be good enough for another League 1 season, let alone a Championship one. We wouldn't get the ball back to be able to keep it with him in midfield!

Im sure Hourihane is off to Villa coaching the kids..maybe i'm wrong..

Collins is not Championship standard.

Smith is too slow

Waggy not up to that level anymore

I'd keep Gayle..he has class, just need to keep him fit

Fozzy can still be amongst our best defenders.defo another year

Sibs and Thommo..definitely keep both of them..oh and Wildsmith..top keeper he is!

Barks..im not a fan

John- Jules..always injured so probably not..

I'd try to offload Bradley ..just think he makes too many mistakes.

I think i'd try to get Adams here on a permanant, and sign Brannigan to play with him...then we need a top goalscorer..that Connor Chaplin from Ipswich or Sammy Schmodics from Blackburn

17 hours ago, Ramarena said:

Of course. I just hope he’s not loaned out without being given much of a chance because he’s blocked by players who should really be surplus to requirements.

Warne's already said, a couple of weeks back. exactly what I wrote. If he shows well in pre season, he's there but, if the staff think he's not quite up to it yet, it'll be a loan, hopefully, with recall clauses in the contract

2 hours ago, valakari said:

Smith is too slow

Sibs and Thommo..definitely keep both of them..oh and Wildsmith..top keeper he is!

Barks..im not a fan

I think i'd try to get Adams here on a permanant, and sign Brannigan to play with him...then we need a top goalscorer..that Connor Chaplin from Ipswich or Sammy Schmodics from Blackburn

Szmodics is rated at around £4m so I think we can forget that unfortunately. 

Keep 

Cashin, Nelson , Nyambe, Thommo, Ward, Gayle , Collins ( back up )Smith Rooney NML

rest can go we need a new GK, CB, at least 3 CM’s 1 of which hopefully is Adams pacey striker and a hold up striker if we get both Collins can also leave and  2 wide players if we get both wide players CBT can go 

ruthless yes but we must be ….it would be a disaster if we didn’t survive back in championship and I’d be looking for mid table at least 

there are players out there just have to find them like other clubs do 
I firmly believe if we look at championship players who aren’t getting the game time but are decent enough to be starters for us I’d concentrate on them players like 

Godden Cov 

Taylor Ipswich

Adams Cardiff 

Chaplin Ipswich 

Edmundson Ipswich 

Lavelle Carlisle 

Brannigan Oxford  - 

Diamond Sunderland  loan 

Azeez Reading  

The largest fee would be for Brannigan and maybe Edmundson but i genuinely think these players are achievable and gives our squad a better look for the championship 

after listening to podcast it’s apparently very important we get the right amount of players in and don’t bust the bank with average wages in championship 31m compared to 17m in L1

Very tough job but our recruitment will now need to earn there money but exciting times ahead 

we need players in the door asap and waiting until end of the window will not help …although except loans from prem would only be late in the window after prem clubs have sorted there squads 

looking forward to a busy summer and hopefully we’ll also be looking at affordable players in the euros this summer 👍🏻

57 minutes ago, BOB BIGGS said:

Szmodics is rated at around £4m so I think we can forget that unfortunately. 

Blackburn are quoting people £15m for Szmodics so not sure where you’ve read £4m. It’s nonsense like, he’s 29, they ain’t getting £15m. 

On 30/04/2024 at 10:42, Simmo’s left foot said:

Hes looked pretty decent when he came back from in jury, shame he then got injured again. I suspect he might be a good player for us next season if he can stay fit. A good pre season will help.

At the beginning I thought he looked unconvincing, if anything a bit slow to react and lacking pace,  but when came back after injury I saw a footballer there, clever line balls and subtle passes, sharper all round. If he can stay fit I think he might surprise some of us

4 hours ago, valakari said:

Smith is too slow

Barks..im not a fan

If you think we can get Sammie Szmodics, please send me your dealers number 🤣

1 hour ago, Srg said:

Blackburn are quoting people £15m for Szmodics so not sure where you’ve read £4m. It’s nonsense like, he’s 29, they ain’t getting £15m. 

And really he's had one good season.

On 30/04/2024 at 16:33, We'll be back in 81 said:

I think defence is ok, particularly with Nyambe and Rooney back. I imagine Warne will want a 5-3-2 system for most games, so a proper left wing back to come in to compete with Sibs.

Keep Fozzy for one more year as back up to Cashin and Elder for when we play a 4-3-3 system. If we can afford it keep Corey Smith for another season. If we cannot afford the new strikers then I would give Collins another year.

Let go.                       Bring in

Hourihane.                 Left midfield

Bird.                            Right midfield

Adams.                       Centre midfield (hopefully Adams)

Collins.                        Striker

Gayle.                          Striker

Waghorn.                     Striker

TJJ.                              D.Brown

Barkhuizen                  D.Robinson

Left wing back

I am a little concerned about Fozzy . He will be 36 before the end of the season . 5 year ago in the Championship - he was being booooed by home fans. Opinion is split on him . I have always liked him and wouldn’t like to see fans turn on him again if we had a rocky start to the season .