Dajaune Brown

3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

An eight figure sum for a player with so little experience at senior level? I’d snap their hand off. 

Indeed but I don't think it's worth selling him for less. Worth much more to us than, say, a sale for a couple of million. Our academy has singularly failed to produce top strikers for years. It's the hardest, and most valuable, position. 

8 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

How much do you honestly think we’d get for him given he’s played less than 30 senior games and most of them at non league level? I can’t really imagine it’d be enough to make much of an impact on an enormous rebuild.

I fear that if we sold him now we’d get very little for him and he’d go on to make a real impact at another club. For me we keep him and, if the coaching staff think he’s ready, include him in the first team squad. If they think he still needs a little more development then send him out on loan to a league 1 team.

I'm afraid you are asking the wrong person, I have zero knowledge about player valuation and I've never seen the lad play.

If he is half as good as people here are saying he is and a multiple teams after him, then maybe he might cover the costs of 2-4 players' wages a season?

No matter, what decision we make, Brown needs to play. Either with us,  on loan, or sell him with a hefty sell-on clause. His skills might improve with just training, but his value would not and that's one of the mistakes our club has been making with upcoming youngsters.

Let’s assume he hasn’t come through our academy and is a random young striker who’s had a good 3-4 months.  Would we really be suggesting we sign him and throw him in?  Would we really by looking at him thinking a Prem club will sign him for 8 figures in the summer?  Probably not.

@Chesterfield_Ram has given some good stats about other National League strikers who’ve scored hat loads at that level, but not so much in L1 or L2.  It’s about developing him at the right pace and not rushing him too soon.  I think the best next step is to send him on loan to L1 with the option to recall in January.

Posted (edited)

He's only 18, not 19 until October, still just a kid really. He has lots of potential but I'm not convinced sitting on the bench in the Championship and getting 10-20 minutes every now and then would be the best thing for him (although that's what I think we should have done with him this season in L1!). It would be a shame to see his momentum slow with stop-start appearances at a standard which would take anyone time to get used to.
He flourished at Gateshead, their players & fans seem to love him, and he's scored some good goals. I'd like to see him go on loan to L1 or L2 and get 30-40 starts under his belt, with a view to being in the first team squad for 25/26, then we'll see if he has the mental strength as well as ability. Those kinds of loans can really make a young player.

I'm very pleased Gateshead won and Brown picked up a trophy - more medals than Harry Kane, mate!

Edited by Gabby'sThighs

4 minutes ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

He's only 18, not 19 until October, still just a kid really. He has lots of potential but I'm not convinced sitting on the bench in the Championship and getting 10-20 minutes every now and then would be the best thing for him (although that's what I think we should have done with him this season in L1!). It would be a shame to see his momentum slow with stop-start appearances at a standard which would take anyone time to get used to.
He flourished at Gateshead, their players & fans seem to love him, and he's scored some good goals. I'd like to see him go on loan to L1 or L2 and get 30-40 starts under his belt, with a view to being in the first team squad for 25/26, then we'll see if he has the mental strength as well as ability. Those kinds of loans can really make a young player.

I'm very pleased Gateshead won and Brown picked up a trophy - more medals than Harry Kane, mate!

He was getting a rave review this morning on TalkSport from Jeff Stelling.  Apparently he 'terrorised' Hartlepools defence earlier this season, although i'm not sure how hard that is at the moment.

Brown should be given a chance in pre season to impress. He could save us some money and you’d like to think Warne will give him a chance. The transfer window shuts about a month after the season starts so we’ll have an idea by then if he is ready. I’m not expecting him to be a regular but he could be a vital squad player. He has all the attributes you’d want. 

Everyone has a price but if its Newcastle knocking, the lads under contract and we aren't under measures, then we know how money they have. If they want him we can rebuild our squad with the transfer fee we should be demanding. 

I mentioned it somewhere else but I like the idea of loaning him out the a League club and then reevaluate in January. That said if he comes back for preseason and looks the part, then keeping him instead could be an option. Perhaps seeing the transfer window out and seeing what we have as a younger (than 30), quick, striker is going to cost a premium. If we get one or two and its 20 mins here or there for Brown then a loan it is, but if we are frustrated in our search then...

I genuinely can't remember when was the last time we had a loan star like this we can anticipate and get excited about as our kids have usually either just gone into the first team or get loaned out and then drift away. I remember Sturridge playing at Torquay but I also reckon we were close to letting him go, not anticipating his return.

He’s had a great loan move and shown that his quality is not limited to youth football.

I think we should give him a chance to impress in pre-season and have him in the squad for the start of the season.

What do we have to lose? His confidence and appetite to impress will be through the roof.

He may take the opportunity and run with it…

On 12/05/2024 at 22:03, BramcoteRam84 said:

I’d say if he’s not going to play we send him on loan to old Nige at Mansfield with a recall clause in Jan, if he rips it up we recall him and play him here. Bit like when Chelsea cancelled Bamfords MK Dons loan and sent him to us in 13/14. 

Im hoping however he can be an impact sub next season and force his way in. It looks like the main thing he’s learned is to use his physicality and it’s transformed him as a player. We hang on to him we’ve got a 20 goal championship striker on our hands if not this season then next. 

Yeah good call on this, i think the £10m ideas are a bit fanciful at this point!

let’s see how he gets on in league one, I’d hope Warne has a look at him in pre season though. If thinks can help the first team then be good to see him play.

If brown plays and scores goals in the championship then £10m would not be a shock!

9 hours ago, Rich3478 said:

Yeah good call on this, i think the £10m ideas are a bit fanciful at this point!

let’s see how he gets on in league one, I’d hope Warne has a look at him in pre season though. If thinks can help the first team then be good to see him play.

If brown plays and scores goals in the championship then £10m would not be a shock!

Yeah agree if he rips it up in preseason hopefully he’ll be part of the squad.

9 hours ago, Rich3478 said:

9 subs next season and he should be one of them and hopefully get proper starts on top of that 

On 12/05/2024 at 21:13, LeedsCityRam said:

Brown is clearly a goalscorer, quick, powerful & has a decent first touch. He has adapted incredibly well to men's football (albeit in the 5th tier) & given his age & game changing potential, its not beyond the realms that a Prem club may feel his potential is that of a starter in 3/4 years given the right exposure to better players & better coaching. 

How many Premier League clubs sign a player after having a good season in Non League?

In my opinion we should be looking at Brown as one for the future. The 'future' may come as soon as the second half of this season or it may come in a year or twos time. What we can all agree on by reading the comments on him, is that he will play a part in the clubs first team at some point or other.

Having watched quite a bit of National league football this year, as my home town team have been playing in it, we need to temper our expectations of his current ability. I'm not denying that he has had a fantastic half season at Gateshead. But the standard of defending at NL level is terrible. Defenders are out of position far more than they were in League 1 last year. Defenders lose their players far more than they did in League 1. Defenders are typically slower and don't have the defending IQ to counteract it.

To back up my point about not rushing Brown, I've done a bit of research into players stepping up from the National League into the EFL.

To start on a rather negative point, there are a number of forwards to step up into L1 who never meet the standards of the level in the last couple of seasons.

Kabonga Tshimanga - 24 goals in 27 games followed by 7 goals in 17 games before stepping up into L1. 22 games without scoring in L1 for Peterborough and Fleetwood.

Matt Lowe - 11 in 41 before stepping up. 0 in 20 games (L1) and 0 in 23 games (L2) since.

Josh Walker - 10 in 32 followed by 10 in 24 before stepping up. 2 in 16 (L1) and 1 in 16 (L2) since.

There have been some players in this period who have made the step up.

Ephron Mason-Clark left Barnet for Peterborough after scoring 6 in 39 in the NL. He followed on from this by scoring 9 in 39 before taking an extra step developmentally this season scoring 14 and setting up countless other goals.

Rúben Rodrigues scored 18 in 43 for Notts County before joining Oxford this year scoring 9 in 44. 

Joe Taylor also made the step up, but took e seasons before reaching double figures in L1 this year for Lincoln.

Other than these I can find many to make the step up to L1 directly, which should give an indication (to fans wanting Brown in the Championship next year) as to how big a step up it is and the need to move up through the leagues gradually.

Looking at the numbers it appears a L2 loan would be most beneficial for Dajaune next season. Potentially a loan to Notts County if they end up selling Langstaff.

2 hours ago, Chesterfield_Ram said:

To back up my point about not rushing Brown, I've done a bit of research into players stepping up from the National League into the EFL.

To start on a rather negative point, there are a number of forwards to step up into L1 who never meet the standards of the level in the last couple of seasons.

Kabonga Tshimanga - 24 goals in 27 games followed by 7 goals in 17 games before stepping up into L1. 22 games without scoring in L1 for Peterborough and Fleetwood.

Matt Lowe - 11 in 41 before stepping up. 0 in 20 games (L1) and 0 in 23 games (L2) since.

Josh Walker - 10 in 32 followed by 10 in 24 before stepping up. 2 in 16 (L1) and 1 in 16 (L2) since.

There have been some players in this period who have made the step up.

Ephron Mason-Clark left Barnet for Peterborough after scoring 6 in 39 in the NL. He followed on from this by scoring 9 in 39 before taking an extra step developmentally this season scoring 14 and setting up countless other goals.

Rúben Rodrigues scored 18 in 43 for Notts County before joining Oxford this year scoring 9 in 44. 

Joe Taylor also made the step up, but took e seasons before reaching double figures in L1 this year for Lincoln.

Other than these I can find many to make the step up to L1 directly, which should give an indication (to fans wanting Brown in the Championship next year) as to how big a step up it is and the need to move up through the leagues gradually.

Looking at the numbers it appears a L2 loan would be most beneficial for Dajaune next season. Potentially a loan to Notts County if they end up selling Langstaff.

Interesting you mention Langstaff. Watching his many goals on YouTube and elsewhere, there aren’t that many that would be offered as chances in the Championship.

It will be interesting to see if he can do it at a higher level.

1 minute ago, Anag Ram said:

Interesting you mention Langstaff. Watching his many goals on YouTube and elsewhere, there aren’t that many that would be offered as chances in the Championship.

It will be interesting to see if he can do it at a higher level.

Think he would have gone a couple of years ago if he was going to. He’s now 27. Not the age you want to make a gamble on. 

50 minutes ago, Srg said:

Think he would have gone a couple of years ago if he was going to. He’s now 27. Not the age you want to make a gamble on. 

Yeah, seems his price coming down even as continues to score goals. Agree though that age against him, will be interested to see if can score in league one if he makes a move this year.