Dajaune Brown

Watched this in the pub. Really pleased for him and the Gateshead loan has been a very different and valuable experience. Hopefully we can keep hold of him and see how he develops.

Down the years we've seen so many young strikers come through the ranks but never really make it that for once it'd be nice to see the project through to him a fully fledge first teamer. Plenty of work to do on him yet of course, but a finished article striker is a win-win for the club. Either we benefit on the field or we get genuinely game-changing money for him. The battle is always going to be holding onto them long enough to become that big asset, before they seemingly inevitably become Crystal Palace's 7th choice forward.

One of the possible signings we are clamouring for is a forward from a Premier team on loan, who's to say that Brown wouldn't be as good as any number of those players?

Why develop a Premier youngster for another club and pay a loan fee for him, when we have our own. If we do get a youngster on loan, will we be pressured into giving him game time, whether or not he's good enough for selection?

If he was a Gateshead player and had maintained his form over the season, there would be a massive queue of teams trying to sign him. Speaking to some Gateshead fans before the match yesterday, they were raving about him and told me that boro and Sunderland were showing interest.

I would like to see him getting some more game time at Derby and give him a chance to develop here, because if we loan him out to a league club, there is no recall until January.

16 hours ago, hintonsboots said:

Brown, an 18-year-old Derby loanee, is arguably the most exciting talent to play non-league football this season. As soon as August, he is expected to compete for Championship game time.

If you think that comment is promising, what about this one from Gateshead manager...

“He’s got no ceiling,” said Elliot. “If I was a Premier League manager, I’d use him from the bench. He’s an absolute diamond.”

Perhaps we can sell him to a German club for 30 million? Bham or Forest, for all their faults, have been good at doing this.

2 hours ago, ram59 said:

One of the possible signings we are clamouring for is a forward from a Premier team on loan, who's to say that Brown wouldn't be as good as any number of those players?

Why develop a Premier youngster for another club and pay a loan fee for him, when we have our own. If we do get a youngster on loan, will we be pressured into giving him game time, whether or not he's good enough for selection?

If he was a Gateshead player and had maintained his form over the season, there would be a massive queue of teams trying to sign him. Speaking to some Gateshead fans before the match yesterday, they were raving about him and told me that boro and Sunderland were showing interest.

I would like to see him getting some more game time at Derby and give him a chance to develop here, because if we loan him out to a league club, there is no recall until January.

The point of a loan isn’t to develope another teams youngster, it’s to improve our first team.

the development is what the loaning club gets out of the deal.

personally think Warne should have a look at him for pre season, if thinks will benefit the team then great. If not ready then maybe league two for a loan. Maybe a team can develope our youngster! And benefit themselves too!

coaches and managers watch these players daily, and they would love nothing more than any youngster to be next big thing. But just playing them and hoping they get there isn’t a guarantee of that. 

Post from a northeast reporter keen for Sunderland to sign and play Dajaune next season. Shows his assist, goal and penalty. 

When other teams have hugely promising youth players in a position they need (and the hardest position of all to fill), don't they actually play those youths? Our only other contracted striker is Washington. If you're a defender, you'd far rather defend against CW than an explosive young striker with pace, power and oodles of skill.

I hope Dajaune is given the opportunity to set the Championship alight with us next season. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

I personally think this will have influenced the number of strikers that PW will look to recruit. Having Brown as 4th choice does (not*) seem too risky.

*Thanks TamworthRam

This.

Ideal scenario is probably four as you say.

Sign a quality striker and add another via, maybe a Prem loan.

That’s two additions in the area we need to improve most, along with central midfield. 

After that I’d look at Gayle to see if he still has the legs for another season, with Brown as the other option.

Obviously PW would need to take a good look at Brown and Gayle to see if they are up to it. But in Browns case, if he struggles in the first half of the season, we could always loan him out to a league one club and get a loan in to cover.

Edited by Ramarena

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ramarena said:

This.

Ideal scenario is probably four as you say.

Sign a quality striker and add another via, maybe a Prem loan.

That’s two additions in the area we need to improve most, along with central midfield. 

After that I’d look at Gayle to see if he still has the legs for another season, with Brown as the other option.

Obviously PW would need to take a good look at Brown and Gayle to see if they are up to it. But in Browns case, if he struggles in the first half of the season, we could always loan him out to a league one club and get a loan in to cover.

I sort of agree with this, but I'd do it the other way round. I'd look to loan him out to a L1 or L2 team to make sure the jump up in standard isn't too much too quick for him.

National League defending really isn't up to standard. Hence Will Grigg scoring 25 goals this season, more than he scored in his past 5 seasons combined in L1. Diesuruvwe scoring 24 despite not doing anything at Salford in L2. Kabamba scoring 5 goals in 2 seasons in L2, then 25 in 40 games this season.

For his long term development I think it would be better to gradually work his way up the leagues. This way we could end up thinking in several seasons time about how good he is, rather than how good he could have been.

I don't want him to end up becoming another Mason Bennett.

Edited by Chesterfield_Ram

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Chesterfield_Ram said:

I sort of agree with this, but I'd do it the other way round. I'd look to loan him out to a L1 or L2 team to make sure the jump up in standard isn't too much too quick for him.

National League defending really isn't up to standard. Hence Will Grigg scoring 25 goals this season, more than he scored in his past 5 seasons combined in L1. Diesuruvwe scoring 24 despite not doing anything at Salford in L2. Kabamba scoring 5 goals in 2 seasons in L2, then 25 in 40 games this season.

For his long term development I think it would be better to gradually work his way up the leagues. This way we could end up thinking in several seasons time about how good he is, rather than how good he could have been.

I don't want him to end up becoming another Mason Bennett.

Inclined to agree with this. Obviously we're all getting excited but he's still very young & the gap from National League to Championship is enormous. Given the club will be looking to find their feet at Championship level, I would think it highly unlikely youngsters will be played at all & the worst situation would be for Dajaune to be restricted to under 23 football again.

Kudos to the club for finding him a great loan these past few months & fair to assume Matt Hale will have some elevated plans for Dajaune for this season that will involve him stepping up in quality. Ideal move would seem to be a loan to a League One club where he sees plenty of game time but get the rotation he'll need to rest up. Probably unlikely given their business model but the way Peterborough set their team up to develop forwards (and their track record of producing them) suggests that could be a good move for him - very local too for Academy staff to keep close tabs on him.

Edited by LeedsCityRam

My guess is that we sell him this summer. 

The rebuilding is enormous and we need money. He might be the one to go because we don't have many sellable assets.

It doesn't matter, do we aim for quality free transfers again over cheap deals or not, we might need a dozen new players who do not only replace the leaving ones, but they have to be an upgrade as well. For that to happen, every penny in a war chest helps.

27 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

The rebuilding is enormous and we need money. He might be the one to go because we don't have many sellable assets.

It doesn't matter, do we aim for quality free transfers again over cheap deals or not, we might need a dozen new players who do not only replace the leaving ones, but they have to be an upgrade as well. For that to happen, every penny in a war chest helps.

While it would be sad, if an 8-figure offer came in we would have to take it. Say £15m from Newcastle who have the money. The fear is Warne isn't the ideal manager to develop young talent, so why not reinvest in players more suited to his approach?

But, if doing that, we absolutely must do our transfer business in a similar manner to Christian Dailly and Spencer Prior. For those who don't recall, Blackburn came in with a quite massive offer for Dailly. But before it was publicly announced, we were able to bring Spencer Prior in from Leicester as his replacement, for peanuts. 

1 hour ago, Dimmu said:

How much do you honestly think we’d get for him given he’s played less than 30 senior games and most of them at non league level? I can’t really imagine it’d be enough to make much of an impact on an enormous rebuild.

I fear that if we sold him now we’d get very little for him and he’d go on to make a real impact at another club. For me we keep him and, if the coaching staff think he’s ready, include him in the first team squad. If they think he still needs a little more development then send him out on loan to a league 1 team.

7 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

While it would be sad, if an 8-figure offer came in we would have to take it. Say £15m from Newcastle who have the money. The fear is Warne isn't the ideal manager to develop young talent, so why not reinvest in players more suited to his approach?

But, if doing that, we absolutely must do our transfer business in a similar manner to Christian Dailly and Spencer Prior. For those who don't recall, Blackburn came in with a quite massive offer for Dailly. But before it was publicly announced, we were able to bring Spencer Prior in from Leicester as his replacement, for peanuts. 

An eight figure sum for a player with so little experience at senior level? I’d snap their hand off. 

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

How much do you honestly think we’d get for him given he’s played less than 30 senior games and most of them at non league level? I can’t really imagine it’d be enough to make much of an impact on an enormous rebuild.

I fear that if we sold him now we’d get very little for him and he’d go on to make a real impact at another club. For me we keep him and, if the coaching staff think he’s ready, include him in the first team squad. If they think he still needs a little more development then send him out on loan to a league 1 team.

19 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

An eight figure sum for a player with so little experience at senior level? I’d snap their hand off. 

Its less to do with actual output as an 18 year old than their potential. Admittedly an extreme case but Birmingham reportedly turned down a £20m offer from Man Utd for Jude Bellingham when he had barely played 20 games & after 41 games, he went to Dortmund for £25m. I also think we turned down a £5m bid for Sibley from Wolves when he hadn't yet started 10 times for us.

Brown is clearly a goalscorer, quick, powerful & has a decent first touch. He has adapted incredibly well to men's football (albeit in the 5th tier) & given his age & game changing potential, its not beyond the realms that a Prem club may feel his potential is that of a starter in 3/4 years given the right exposure to better players & better coaching. 

Edited by LeedsCityRam

24 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Its less to do with actual output as an 18 year old than their potential. Admittedly an extreme case but Birmingham reportedly turned down a £20m offer from Man Utd for Jude Bellingham when he had barely played 20 games & after 41 games, he went to Dortmund for £25m. I also think we turned down a £5m bid for Sibley from Wolves when he hadn't yet started 10 times for us.

Brown is clearly a goalscorer, quick, powerful & has a decent first touch. He has adapted incredibly well to men's football (albeit in the 5th tier) & given his age & game changing potential, its not beyond the realms that a Prem club may feel his potential is that of a starter in 3/4 years given the right exposure to better players & better coaching. 

I understand that it’s down to potential rather than actual output at that age but, as you say, the evidence of his potential has only been demonstrated at the 5th level of senior football and only over less than two dozen games. It may not be beyond the realms of possibility that a prem league club could make such a high bid (our most expensive sale ever I believe) but I would have thought it was very unlikely. 

Jude Bellingham is an interesting comparison but he had started to make an impact at the second tier of British football not the 5th and made his debut at the age of 16. I somehow doubt he’d have attracted quite the level of interest if he’d only been playing non league football. Also, Bellingham clearly demonstrated the potential to be a starter for a big club immediately not in 3/4 years.

I really fear that we’d get what would be considered a very good offer for such a young and untested player but no where near an eight figure amount. 

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

42 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

The spirit of B4 lives on clearly!

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Jude Bellingham is an interesting comparison but he had started to make an impact at the second tier of British football not the 5th and made his debut at the age of 16. I somehow doubt he’d have attracted quite the level of interest if he’d only been playing non league football. Also, Bellingham clearly demonstrated the potential to be a starter for a big club immediately not in 3/4 years.

It helped that Bellingham was on the radar of the world's biggest clubs long before he made his first-team debut. He'd clearly demonstrated something special in the academy that only a tiny fraction of young players do.

I’d say if he’s not going to play we send him on loan to old Nige at Mansfield with a recall clause in Jan, if he rips it up we recall him and play him here. Bit like when Chelsea cancelled Bamfords MK Dons loan and sent him to us in 13/14. 

Im hoping however he can be an impact sub next season and force his way in. It looks like the main thing he’s learned is to use his physicality and it’s transformed him as a player. We hang on to him we’ve got a 20 goal championship striker on our hands if not this season then next.