Match Thread: vs Portsmouth (a)

5 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

If we can't get 9 points out of our next 4 matches then we'll only have ourselves to blame.

If we do the above and Bolton or Posh etc. go on their best run of the season under the pressures we're all experiencing to pip us to the post then fair play to them. 

I do think looking on paper Bolton do have quite a kind run in apart from Pompey but they only need to throw in a Northampton like performance and not beat Pompey and its all but over for them.

Peterborough are playing two matches a week between now and the end of the season and Barnsley are in last chance saloon with failure to beat Charlton on sat surely putting them to the sword. 

It's a shame Bolton's match v Posh isn't sooner when it potentially has more riding on it.

Their 1st? Might have been just offside but too close to call and the ref's assistant got it right in giving the benefit of any doubt to the attacking side. Handball for the 2nd by Raggett, definitely, although Collo's half hearted "challenge" didn't help. The ref taking account of the slippery pitch saved JW early doors and their player (Saydee?) when he took Sibs out 5 hours late. Their player was looking for the penalty, imo, he appeared to be going down of his own volition as soon as he felt contact. The ref didn't buy it. I have to admit I thought it was one and then, from the front on replay understood why it wasn't given. Another day, another ref and it, and the 2 red cards, would have been given. Swings and roundabouts. They had the lion's share of possession, we had more shots, same amount on target. The fox may have cost us a 3rd as we had numeric advantage and it was our speed merchants up there. Stopping play was the right decision imo. All in all, I view a draw as the right result.

9 hours ago, ap04 said:

In the game I saw we scored 2 goals and created nothing else of note in 90 minutes.

Portsmouth on top of their 2 goals missed an open goal, had a 1v1 saved by Wildsmith's legs and the penalty incident at the end. Calling the above an even game and a fair draw is a bit of a stretch.

Highlights aren't counted yoof 😊

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

It's a shame Bolton's match v Posh isn't sooner when it potentially has more riding on it.

Agreed, stinks of Barnsley v Posh last season. Just got to make sure going in to the last match we're in the top 2. Carlisle will be on the beach and without accusing anybody of foul play, I imagine Simmo would quite like to see us up.

42 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

Less than 2 years after near annihilation, I'm not sure what Bris expects. If they can't just enjoy this for what it is, then I feel sorry for them.

I think it’s more than within the realms of possibility that someone can both be excited by results and league position but have niggling doubts about performances and how that might transfer to a higher division? 

Of course it is, but maybe the match thread isn't the place to air those doubts?

But he can't help himself.

12 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Their 1st? Might have been just offside but too close to call and the ref's assistant got it right in giving the benefit of any doubt to the attacking side. Handball for the 2nd by Raggett, definitely, although Collo's half hearted "challenge" didn't help. The ref taking account of the slippery pitch saved JW early doors and their player (Saydee?) when he took Sibs out 5 hours late. Their player was looking for the penalty, imo, he appeared to be going down of his own volition as soon as he felt contact. The ref didn't buy it. I have to admit I thought it was one and then, from the front on replay understood why it wasn't given. Another day, another ref and it, and the 2 red cards, would have been given. Swings and roundabouts. They had the lion's share of possession, we had more shots, same amount on target. The fox may have cost us a 3rd as we had numeric advantage and it was our speed merchants up there. Stopping play was the right decision imo. All in all, I view a draw as the right result.

Excellent summary 👍

11 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Agreed, stinks of Barnsley v Posh last season. Just got to make sure going in to the last match we're in the top 2. Carlisle will be on the beach and without accusing anybody of foul play, I imagine Simmo would quite like to see us up.

Simmo is a professional and will be out to get the 3 points.

49 minutes ago, YouRams said:

I've slept on it and will probably get pelters but I still feel last night is 2 points dropped. And I'll elaborate.

All if buts maybes granted, but Bolton win their game in hand then win another that we lose there's still a good chance we miss out on autos by 2 points.

You can pick any time through the season we could've gained 2 points, most will look at Northampton and say the massive Derby County should be rolling over Northampton and that's where we went wrong.

But I'll still be more disappointed In last night and the reason is we never turned up at Northampton, we could've played for a month and never scored. Last night we turned up, first half was one of the best attacking performances I've seen all season. Pompey looked rattled and couldn't deal with the pace. Yes they had more chances first half could've gone in 3-2 down, but we didn't we took the lead. Second half they couldn't get anything going, we gave them too much respect because of the position they're in, played too defensively, didn't make the Collins sub when we should've. These tactical decisions on a day when we turned up and imo could've gone on to score more had we carried on as we did in the first could be more costly than a game we didn't turn up in.

I don't post on here enough to know the beef some posters seem to have with having a positive or negative opinion on decisions by the manager, I'm not strongly for or against Warne, for what he's been dealt finances injuries etc he's doing a good job yes but I still think everyone's opinions should be considered and not ridiculed, would be a boring world if we all thought the same after all.

I can get behind this one. But for me, it's the two games against Barnsley and Charlton. They were especially galling given that we lead in both games. Even holding on to a draw in both would have put us 3 behind Portsmouth and 6 clear of Bolton.

That being said, every team will have those types of results - the ifs buts and maybes. You only have to go back to Bolton losing 4-1 to Blackpool, scraping a last minute draw against Barnsley, or Posh losing 3-1 to bottom of the league Carlisle.

6 hours ago, CapeTownRams said:

Great result at a very difficult place. Credit to all the Rams fans who made the journey too . That’s dedication. 🐏👏🐏👏

Everyone did their part. 
Don’t blame Joe for the second. A hard and swerving shot that deserved a goal in truth.

My only concern is NML’s lack of form over the last three games. Just not the same player. Physically tired ? Still carrying a niggle ? Yes, being asked to play ouf of position but even so he seemed out of it tonight, particularly after saying (in his pre-match interview) how he was so looking forward to the game. Mind u, the CBT run leading to the first goal was good to see.

COYR . We can do this. We just can’t have another ‘Northampton’ at Wycombe- that will be a very hard-fought game.

🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏

Is nats drop in form purely a drop,or is it side effect of cbt in the side,who I thought had his best game so far last night and looked for the first time the player we thought we were getting 

2 minutes ago, TINMANTED said:

Is nats drop in form purely a drop,or is it side effect of cbt in the side,who I thought had his best game so far last night and looked for the first time the player we thought we were getting 

He's probably still carrying a niggle from the Northampton game, plus played the majority of the Blackpool game, and most of last night.

8 days between games is going to be huge for a lot of the squad.

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

With the right partner, it was good enough to get us into an automatic promotion spot, and good enough for us to more than get our money back.

I really think you're ploughing a lone furrow on this one.

I'm not. Maybe in the minority but as we aren't in North Korea I'll still give my opinion 

4 minutes ago, TINMANTED said:

Looking like we had a good January window now . Adams in for Bird has been a massive difference . Don’t get the criticism of Wildsmith. Perhaps the rumours of him leaving have lost him a bit of support.

15 minutes ago, TINMANTED said:

I don’t think Nat has been the same since his injured foot.

His decision making and touch are off.

If he gets back to form we really will be hard to beat.

56 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Take your point and agree with a lot of it. But Warne deserves a chance in the Championship if he gets us up. Time will tell with probably additional resources than he had at Rotherham, whether he can do a job for us. But let’s worry about that when we go up.

yeah I agree he’ll get his chance and he’ll have earned it if he gets us out league 1. Other teams have shown us how hard it is to get out of here. 

Rotherham had players like Ladapo etc though. They went up with teams already built in his image. We have a handful of players that can truly play the way he wants us to. 

35 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Of course it is, but maybe the match thread isn't the place to air those doubts?

But he can't help himself.

I dunno I suspect that a comment about our performance should probably go in the match thread tbf 😂 

13 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Great strike, but that view gives a clear sight of the handball. 

No use complaining about it though.

Der der der, der der der der, der der der der der der der HANDBALL!!!

Not even an accident.

Mousinho didn't see that, or Kamara's offside, but he did see clearly the 'blatant' penalty that they failed to get.

I don't know why Warne bothers to be honest - none of his fellow managers are.