Pompey fan in peace

31 minutes ago, littleover ram said:

genuine question - would you trade the FA Cup win for financial stability instead and those seasons in the Championship/PL? Or was it worth the scrapping around in the lower leagues?  

That's just reminded me of a nice little titbit connecting these two clubs...

Pompey win FA Cup in '39... then retain it for the longest uninterrupted period (7 years), due to the war years, before handing it over in '46... to us!  🏆

1 hour ago, littleover ram said:

genuine question - would you trade the FA Cup win for financial stability instead and those seasons in the Championship/PL? Or was it worth the scrapping around in the lower leagues?  

Great question, and in all honesty I don't think I would. 

I'm in my early 60's and like most fans I grew up dreaming of seeing my team lift the FA Cup at Wembley. 

May 17th 2008 will be forever etched in my memory, and to see the joy on my sons face was priceless. 

Now had we gone bust and ceased to exist, then I wouldn't have wanted the cup win to happen

12 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Moodhoover junior is off to Pompey uni in September so I'm sure I'll get to know the City a bit better.

QI says that Portsea Island, which is the site of Portsmouth City is the most highly populated island off the coast of the GB mainland....

It use to be, not so sure now. 

Like all city's pompey has its good and bad places. 

You'll love Southsea beach in the summer, historic dockyard etc. 

Visit old Portsmouth while you're down, it hasn't changed much in 500 years. Lots of pubs with harbour views and cobbled narrow walkways where Henry the 8th would have walked

I'm another one with fond memories of Portsmouth and surroundings. I lived between there and Southampton for 10 years and often went out in the city. I used to like going up to the Churchillian at the top of Portsdown Hill and enjoy a pint whilst taking in the view. Always went to Fratton Park when we played there. I hope we can both get promoted.

Looking forward to Tuesday; should be a cracking atmosphere under the lights with you bringing down a full contingent.  Two proper football cities going head-to-head.  The season I really got in to it was the 86/7 season in the, then, Division 2.  I'd rather the top two positions were reversed, but would gladly take the same overall outcome.

On 28/03/2024 at 21:57, Rampant said:

Has that tramp with the bell had a bath yet?

Cripes, I can remember a guy in navy clobber with a bell back in 1967 at the Baseball Ground. That game finished 0-0, I think. I'd settle for the same on Tuesday.

I've only made one visit to Fratton Park - debut and goal for Marco Gabbiadini in a 1-0 win for us 1991-92.

It was when Lionel Pickering opened his wallet and I think Gabbiadini was the first signing. A month later we'd signed Paul Simpson, Tommy Johnson, Paul Kitson & Steve Sutton

I think it was the Gabbiadini signing that Bobby Davison saw as a stab in the back from Arthur Cox after promising to sign him

image.png.d92244606b6aafb186c62898180c5f31.png

Just now, SamUltraRam said:

I've only made one visit to Fratton Park - debut and goal for Marco Gabbiadini in a 1-0 win for us 1991-92.

It was when Lionel Pickering opened his wallet and I think Gabbiadini was the first signing. A month later we'd signed Paul Simpson, Tommy Johnson, Paul Kitson & Steve Sutton

I think it was the Gabbiadini signing that Bobby Davison saw as a stab in the back from Arthur Cox after promising to sign him

image.png.d92244606b6aafb186c62898180c5f31.png

I was there for that one. We absolutely bossed that game despite only winning 1-0. I think it's still the only time I've seen us win there since my first visit in 1985 (although we have won when I didn't go).

It's probably best I'm not going on Tuesday!

Looking forward to this one. I’ve got a lot of time for Pompey, a proper football club with great support. You’ve been by far the most consistent team in the league so deserve promotion. As for the game the result will depend on which version of our team turns up; if we play like we did at Bristol a few weeks back I fancy us to get a point at least. If it’s the one that didn’t turn up last week at Northampton you’ll batter us. Just hope we can get something that helps us consolidate second place. It’s going to be a cracking game. 

22 hours ago, Bluebazooka said:

Great question, and in all honesty I don't think I would. 

I'm in my early 60's and like most fans I grew up dreaming of seeing my team lift the FA Cup at Wembley. 

May 17th 2008 will be forever etched in my memory, and to see the joy on my sons face was priceless. 

Now had we gone bust and ceased to exist, then I wouldn't have wanted the cup win to happen

This it what really annoys me about Liverpool FC saying 'this means more'. They have no idea what winning just one trophy would mean to most fans.

3 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

My husband is from Waterloovile. My brain washing/conversion has been proven a success with who he now cheers for when we play you. Isnt one of my favourite loanees mason mount from waterlooville or horndean?

Yes, Mason is a Pompey fan; went to school in Waterlooville/Purbrook. 

On 29/03/2024 at 11:32, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/portsmouth-fc-signing-yakubu-gave-pompey-goals-and-a-profit/

Remember this fella coming to Derby from Maccabi, then we couldn't get clearance.  Then he wound up at Portsmouth with Arry a few  weeks later.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlFx2nYth1L43RLU5CHQQ

Got him married, played well on trial for us but, harry was a lot smarter than us