We can't finish lower than...

The good news tonight, with 10 games still to go, is we're now safe from relegation. With our 69 points, we can't be caught by: Carlisle, Fleetwood, Port Vale (obviously a crucial win today), Shrewsbury or Charlton.

So the worst position we could end up in is 19th, and might even be higher with teams below us having to play each other.

As we begin the business end of the season, the hope is fewer and fewer teams will be able to catch us. For instance, Oxford in 7th can now only get a maximum of 87 points, and the time will come (maybe in 5 games or so) when we're mathematically cemented in the playoffs. Let's hope we reach a point when we cannot finish lower than 2nd. Let's count it down in this thread.

We're 12 points ahead of Oxford in 7th, same games played. Although mathematically possible of course, there's no realistic way they finish above us with only 10 games to play. Making up over a point a game on any side near the top of the table is a tough ask, especially when you don't play them again this season.

Hopefully that gives us the confidence to throw everything at going for 2nd place. We don't really need to look over our shoulder, and it makes little difference whether we finish 3rd or 6th. Let's go for it.

Edited by Kernow
Typo

There's going to be a lot of dropped points by the current top 7 teams in the run in, simply because they all have games against each other. E.G. POMPEY have Peterboro (a), Barnsley (h), Derby (h) and Bolton (a). DERBY; Bolton (h) and Pompey (a). BOLTON; Barnsley (a), Oxford (h), Derby (a), Stevenage (a), Pompey (h) and Peterboro (a). BARNSLEY; Bolton (h), Pompey (a) and Stevenage (a). PETERBORO; Stevenage (h), Pompey (h), Oxford (a) and Bolton (h). STEVENAGE; Peterboro (a), Bolton (h), Barnsley (h) and Oxford (a). OXFORD; Bolton (a), Peterboro (h) and Stevenage (h).

Blackpool and Orient are still within range of getting a play-off place, so they could have a say on some games against the top 7. BLACKPOOL Have Pompey (h), Derby (a) and Barnsley (h). ORIENT; Derby (a), Peterboro (h) and Stevenage (a).

LINCOLN in 10th place are not an easy team to beat or score against (only lost 10 and conceded the 2nd least goals with 32). They have Pompey (h), Barnsley (a) and Oxford (a).

9 minutes ago, Ramifications said:

I see on the latest predicted table we end up finishing third! 

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/league-one/league-table/predicted

Is this not just a fan that’s stuck some scores in rather than actual computerised results?

It has Portsmouth not losing another game which would be some going considering they still have Blackpool, Peterborough, Bolton and Wycombe away. Not to mention us and Barnsley at home.

1 hour ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

We need automatic, nothing less. As much as I Love London, our latest trips to Wembley have not been a bundle of fun, the  play offs are too much of a lottery for my liking

i dont think it matters how we go up as long as we do.

if you were guarenteed promotion there is no better place to do it than wembley even with all the stress it brings

40 minutes ago, Mckram said:

Is this not just a fan that’s stuck some scores in rather than actual computerised results?

It has Portsmouth not losing another game which would be some going considering they still have Blackpool, Peterborough, Bolton and Wycombe away. Not to mention us and Barnsley at home.

You forgot to mention their away fixture at Lincoln who currently have the lowest goals scored against them in the league at home (13).

10 games remaining, only way to make sure is to win all 10!

I think we should be aiming for that and nothing less.

We have got nothing to fear in this league and with out our own downfalls we would be in a pretty position…

We have got players like ward to step up, CBT can have a big few months, players back from injury.. so it’s all positive!

Lets get behind the lads and make us the 12th man..

Barnsley make my bum twitch. They’re not hammering teams but they’re consistently finding a way to win.

Got this horrible feeling they’ll pip us to second place and we’ll end up in the play off lottery. 

On 02/03/2024 at 23:12, Carlin said:

I think 90 points will be enough for automatic promotion.

I'll be surprised if it's that low - I think 2nd will need at least 2 points a game, probably 93 points which would mean 8 more wins rather than the 7 for 90. It will be a big ask. 

3 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I'll be surprised if it's that low - I think 2nd will need at least 2 points a game, probably 93 points which would mean 8 more wins rather than the 7 for 90. It will be a big ask. 

I struggle to see any of the teams in the league winning 8 more games this season. There is no standout team really.

Will be an interesting end to the season.

If Bolton make top 2 it will be some effort as they play 6 of the current top 7 in the run in. The only top 7 side they don't play is themselves... 😉

Barnsley v Bolton tomorrow is a big game. Barnsley win sees them level on points with us and Bolton but with a game in hand. Bolton win has them 3 points ahead of us and Barnsley 3 behind but with a game in hand. A draw sees Bolton 1 point ahead of us and Barnsley 2 behind with a game in hand.