We can't finish lower than...

5 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I'll be surprised if it's that low - I think 2nd will need at least 2 points a game, probably 93 points which would mean 8 more wins rather than the 7 for 90. It will be a big ask. 

Or 7 wins (including Bolton), 2 draws and a defeat at Portsmouth, which doesn't seem impossible?

On 03/03/2024 at 09:38, 8Leeds said:

Barnsley make my bum twitch. They’re not hammering teams but they’re consistently finding a way to win.

Got this horrible feeling they’ll pip us to second place and we’ll end up in the play off lottery. 

Tyke some this to the bathroom with you.

Screenshot_20240304_185018_Chrome.thumb.jpg.98d6861a4f9687b47a73ca9a0f8bd83c.jpg

* Just realised you said twitch and not itch. As you were. 😳

8 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

We've only lost 4 of our last 22 in the league, so I'm not sure why we should expect to lose 3 of our next 10.

Maybe because we’ve managed to lose 3 from our last 10 games 🤷🏻 But I’m only expecting a couple of defeats.

29 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

We've only lost 4 of our last 22 in the league, so I'm not sure why we should expect to lose 3 of our next 10.

Perhaps because we’ve lost 2 out of that 4 in the last 3 games?

3 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Really? Do you honestly think we are playing well enough to lose only 1 of our last 10 games? I would think 5 wins, 2 draws and 3 defeats is much more likely…

I agree there are games other than Portsmouth that we could lose, but there aren't any other games where we would start as anything other than favourites (even Bolton) so one defeat only isn't really going out on a limb.

12 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

Perhaps because we’ve lost 2 out of that 4 in the last 3 games?

So you'd prefer to assess our chances on a 3 match sample than one comprising half a season?

Okey, dokey 🙃

41 minutes ago, europia said:

Considering some of our recent performances, I would say highly improbable. 

Portsmouth have recovered from a similar blip - why can't we?

Golden opportunity for promotion this year. Reading and Wigan will definitely be stronger next season and on a level playing field. On top of the relegated teams coming down. 

Bolton is obviously the big match. Our final 4 games look pretty easy considering 3 of them will be packing their bags for the beach and Carlisle have gone already (sorry Mr Warne, not all league one teams are difficult). 

Barnsley are the dark horses, they've been superb for awhile and been creeping up on 2nd place. The doomer in me reckons that defeat against them might have been the confidence boost for Barnsley to go for the automatic places.

We might as well just go all out at this stage. None of this sitting in, defend yourself dreary naff. Our squad has the quality, just go for it. We have nothing to lose since the play offs are pretty much guaranteed. Have a go!

9 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Which games are more likely to lose than to win, in your opinion?

10 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

So you'd prefer to assess our chances on a 3 match sample than one comprising half a season?

Okey, dokey 🙃

I’d say neither are ideal. Form can change compared to half a season ago and three matches isn’t enough to determine current form or a trend. That’s why I looked at the last 10 games (plus, it quite neatly matches the number of games remaining) in which we have lost three.

In terms of which I see as the biggest risks of defeat - Portsmouth away is the obvious favourite although I wouldn’t be surprised if we battled out a backs against the wall 0:0 draw again. Bolton is obviously a dangerous game but, as I’ve not seen them play much recently, that may be just because of where they are in the league rather than how well they are playing. The next one that worries me is Wycombe away. Their home form isn’t great whilst our away form (in terms of results) is good but it just feels like one of those games we’ll struggle in.

I don’t see us losing more than a couple of games but there may be too many draws in there to keep us second.

11 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Okey, dokey 🙃

Yes because that reflects our form now rather than 6 months ago

8 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

Yes because that reflects our form now rather than 6 months ago

Why not assess our chances based on our last match when we actually had a CF available with a bit of game time under his belt? It'd make about as much sense as using a 3 game sample after taking 45 points from the previous 20 games.

On 02/03/2024 at 21:55, plymouthram said:

STEVENAGE; Peterboro (a), Bolton (h), Barnsley (h) and Oxford (a).

Stevenage are an organised, physical team, i.e. cheating, fouling sods, so hopefully they do us a favour against Bolton & Barnsley.