v Charlton Athletic (H) Match Day Thread

Kernow

RD making a great point that maybe our staff is too emotional and make too many drastic changes such as changing from 4 to 3 back to 4 again playing Sibley in 3 positions over the course his spell. 

Understand our undoing during Stevie Mac was being too one dimensional but are we under Warne far too fluid in our set up and this lack of a clear attacking plan when Collins got injured is effecting us.

1 minute ago, IlsonDerby said:

I just find it so hard to get excited about our club right now. How was a relegation battle more enjoyable than us being 2nd? 

Maybe it’s because our manager was squeezing every last drop out of the squad we had vs what we are seeing now. 

The pack mentality helped a lot. 

My take is that the adversity the club was facing at that time galvanised everyone and unified fans, players and staff.
Now that we’re almost off life support and approaching “normality” there’s a difference in people’s expectations which is leading to the splits in the fan base, clearly not helped by some of the poor football/performances being turned out by an inconsistent team and manager/staff. 

4 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I’d even be tempted to go 4-4-2/4-2-4. Play Waghorn and Gayle up top and just go after it 

Yep I think it could work 

Wildsmith

Ward Nelson Cashin Sibley 

Barkhuizen Adams Bird CBT

Gayle Waghorn 

Bench: Loach, Wilson, Bradley, Thompson, Smith, Fornah, NML

thats assuming Nyambe and elder aren’t fit.

Id rest NML to get his energy back as we’re gonna need him and he’ll be a great player off the bench at 60 minutes. 

Also thinking prefer Ward in a back 4 over Wilson and his early crosses into the box with Waghorn and Gayle could work well.

What is all this about a good first half. Terrible first half, just by chance we happened to score. Good football in the first 7 minutes without creating a chance does not make a good half. Also I would expect to be 1-0 up at HT against the most out of form team in the division, the first half was far from good.

1 minute ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I'd be tempted to bin of the PE teacher and get in a real coach who isn't scared of his shadow against pub teams.

Yeah, but until those of you who feel so strongly opposed to Warne get organised and stage a protest, or take banners to the game, or pay for some flyers, or get a plane towing a banner to circle over pride park that’s not happening so rather than getting into that same circular debate I was just trying to look ahead to the next game. 

10 minutes ago, Rampant said:

I'm not sure what the answer is tbh. The midfield of Adams, Bird and Smith was fine imo and much better without Hourihane. And yet we still don't create much if NML is off form. 

Really ? Too defensive. Still the empty space in the middle of the pitch. Miserable number of goal attempts. Bird was poor and not playing as far forward as in some recent games. Little support for Gayle. ,  ... yes a ..great midfield tonight. .. 

3 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

My take is that the adversity the club was facing at that time galvanised everyone and unified fans, players and staff.
Now that we’re almost off life support and approaching “normality” there’s a difference in people’s expectations which is leading to the splits in the fan base, clearly not helped by some of the poor football/performances being turned out by an inconsistent team and manager/staff. 

Perhaps. 

I do honestly believe though it’s because we couldn’t expect any more than what we were seeing. We were up against it and we outperformed expectations in that we’d have comfortably stayed up had it not been for deductions.