Paul Warne

Day

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Goals scored doesn't equate to chance creation though.

Shots
Shots per game: 12th
xG (quality of chances created): 5th
6 yard box shots: 4th 
Penalty area shots: 6th
Open play shots: 10th

Key Passes
Total key passes: 6th
Open play key passes: 7th

I'm not sure how good these stats actually are particularly xG

One game I sat next to a guy who spent the match clicking his laptop. Half time he told me he was supplying stats to a company that sold it to bookies (and others..Google maybe?).

Given that for a lot of the time he was head down not watching the match and several times I saw him mis-identify a Derby player. Who knows how he decided it was a shot not a pass or if it was a chance; or any other of the multitude of Stats we are drowned in these days!

Only one stat is unarguable: Goals, and as the great man said "There's no such thing as a bad goal (if you score it)"

3 hours ago, Jonnie_07 said:

My prediction is that Warne is going to go this time next year … promotion or no promotion.

If we don’t go up Clowes is going to give Warne another chance due to the length of his contract. If we go up the style of football is going to put us in the bottom three of the Championship.

The most disappointing thing (and I agree with Daren Robinson) is I no longer know what the football, recruitment, and academy philosophy and strategy is at DCFC.

I really liked the theory that was laid out in the final couple of years of Mel’s tenure (frightening sentence, I know). The idea that over half the first team would be made up of academy players, with high quality loans to cover shorter term gaps and good signings brought in to cover areas where there were no players coming through. I thought this was quite a good model in the modern day. It would attract youngsters with high ceilings to the club as their was a clear path to the first team, build confidence with other clubs to lend us their best talent, and allow us to spend decent money on players as academy players would be pure profit. It seemed to align academy with first team and present a good vision for a modern sustainable football club. 

I think we were maybe a couple of seasons from seeing it come to fruition too. We were looking at having a team/squad with the potential of having Knight, Bird, Sibley, Thompson, Delap, Gordon, Kellyman, Cashin, Ebosele, Buchanan, Whitaker, Plange, and Williams all drawn from our own academy in it. We all know why it never happened, and the initial idea behind it may have been pushed by outside factors, but looking at the idea on paper it showed a club well aligned in philosophy, both in development and recruitment.

At the moment I don’t really know what the plan is. Academy players don’t seem to be anywhere near it. That might be due to the club being gutted and them not being to the standard but they never seem to be given a chance. The recruitment seems to be focused on older players, but they don’t appear to fit a system. Cocu spoke about having all teams playing the same way so younger players can step up, which seems really sensible, but currently our first team doesn’t seem to have a consistent way of playing let alone something aligned through the age groups. I think we could do with really setting out a clear goal and a philosophy and working towards it. It would really allow supporters to buy into the vision and direction. Build trust and patience. And, as I think supporters often back their academy graduates the most, really build a unity between team and fans. 

4 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

I'm not sure how good these stats actually are particularly xG

One game I sat next to a guy who spent the match clicking his laptop. Half time he told me he was supplying stats to a company that sold it to bookies (and others..Google maybe?).

Given that for a lot of the time he was head down not watching the match and several times I saw him mis-identify a Derby player. Who knows how he decided it was a shot not a pass or if it was a chance; or any other of the multitude of Stats we are drowned in these days!

Only one stat is unarguable: Goals, and as the great man said "There's no such thing as a bad goal (if you score it)"

The point is goals aren't a measure of chances being created

2 minutes ago, DCFC_Sloth said:

I really liked the theory that was laid out in the final couple of years of Mel’s tenure (frightening sentence, I know). The idea that over half the first team would be made up of academy players, with high quality loans to cover shorter term gaps and good signings brought in to cover areas where there were no players coming through. I thought this was quite a good model in the modern day. It would attract youngsters with high ceilings to the club as their was a clear path to the first team, build confidence with other clubs to lend us their best talent, and allow us to spend decent money on players as academy players would be pure profit. It seemed to align academy with first team and present a good vision for a modern sustainable football club. 

I think we were maybe a couple of seasons from seeing it come to fruition too. We were looking at having a team/squad with the potential of having Knight, Bird, Sibley, Thompson, Delap, Gordon, Kellyman, Cashin, Ebosele, Buchanan, Whitaker, Plange, and Williams all drawn from our own academy in it. We all know why it never happened, and the initial idea behind it may have been pushed by outside factors, but looking at the idea on paper it showed a club well aligned in philosophy, both in development and recruitment.

At the moment I don’t really know what the plan is. Academy players don’t seem to be anywhere near it. That might be due to the club being gutted and them not being to the standard but they never seem to be given a chance. The recruitment seems to be focused on older players, but they don’t appear to fit a system. Cocu spoke about having all teams playing the same way so younger players can step up, which seems really sensible, but currently our first team doesn’t seem to have a consistent way of playing let alone something aligned through the age groups. I think we could do with really setting out a clear goal and a philosophy and working towards it. It would really allow supporters to buy into the vision and direction. Build trust and patience. And, as I think supporters often back their academy graduates the most, really build a unity between team and fans. 

Well Done Clapping GIF by MOODMAN

2 minutes ago, DCFC_Sloth said:

Philosophy adaptation is discussed from 5 minutes onwards:
https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2023/08/academy-catch-up-matt-hale

As well as speaking about wanting a high intensity press starting with the forwards, here are a couple of quotes from Warne on how he like his teams to play:
- "Our dream scenario is to get the ball wide and get crosses into the box"
- "They won’t tire you out because [they] are not as fit as you."

1 hour ago, Jonnie_07 said:

In other words anyone of us could have had an go at implementing these tactics … a bit like the under 11s school football team.

Tactics? Talking about NML:

"...In fairness, Nat didn't have his best game midweek, but in the last 20 minutes, it felt like it was him against the world. He kept putting cross in after cross in. But unfortunately, we didn't have anyone in the six-yard box who could put it in. He's earned that right to be that and does everything right to be great for us."

Edited by RoyMac5

3 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

It's delusional to think we are better because we've played more games than the others

It was delusional for pourtmouth to think they were better when we were on our good run and they on they’re poor run when we had played less and had chance to go top 🤷🏻‍♂️,

we are second placed , it’s delusional to call for substance then totally ignore it , blinded by this obsession you have against the derby manager , because that’s what it is , it’s irrational obsession 

55 minutes ago, Archied said:

It was delusional for pourtmouth to think they were better when we were on our good run and they on they’re poor run when we had played less and had chance to go top 🤷🏻‍♂️,

we are second placed , it’s delusional to call for substance then totally ignore it , blinded by this obsession you have against the derby manager , because that’s what it is , it’s irrational obsession 

Or in your case blind faith Archied..

1 hour ago, Archied said:

46fe6a85-2415-420c-98b2-33c1abe37b69_text.gif.6c1e74fa75fec2154821a83cf3675aad.gif

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Philosophy adaptation is discussed from 5 minutes onwards:
https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2023/08/academy-catch-up-matt-hale

As well as speaking about wanting a high intensity press starting with the forwards, here are a couple of quotes from Warne on how he like his teams to play:
- "Our dream scenario is to get the ball wide and get crosses into the box"
- "They won’t tire you out because [they] are not as fit as you."

so what happens when they are

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Yep, 54 years for me too. Hopefully sometime soon the enjoyment will come back.

Hope it does for you , as for me I’m really enjoying it just now , often it’s what’s going on in life as well , honestly I’ve seen us far far worse than we are just now over the years , much as getting back to the top flight is what we are aspiring to my worry is it may well dishearten me being there