Summer transfer suggestion thread

sage

7 minutes ago, Srg said:

Nah, he’s pretty solidly a CB in a 3 or a right back. 

You're right, but it's an interesting proposition, if only that. I've always said I rated him, but before the injury, this lad surprised me with how much his technical ability had developed and he'd already looked a decent footballer beforehand. I thought he looked to have come on a bundle physically too, looking sharp, strong and certainly not shy in a tackle. He could yet prove a really good bit of business. 

19 hours ago, abertawe_ram said:

Not quite relegated yet I'm afraid but hopefully this time tomorrow 🙂

I was surprised to see how much they've spent but looked and their squad is pretty massive. Massively underachieving too for sure because there's some decent individuals in there

Those that have spent the most this season are at the top and those who have spent next to nothing are at the bottom.

Those that have spent almost nothing, this speaks for itself.

Decent players in those squads in the bottom 5 or 6 teams, in my opinion, is a matter of conjecture.

We have to end the season some between 10th and 21st place. Yet I am not over confident we are looking to spend to compete.

Cardiff appear to be asking 500k for Adams, we are offering 250k, that does not show serious intentions.

I hear fans saying, its fine, we will pick up the best free agents and it will move us forward, so that worked out great in previous seasons for newly promoted clubs, not sure it did.

The best available free agents are still likely to go to established teams in the championship.

The players id like to sign at the championship level cost to much.

It leaves us hoping that the league one and two players we want to sign are either cheap or are available as free agents, and the best of those free agents will probably already have been scouted by the established championship teams.

Should we be scouting europe for free agents, assuming we are nothing on the rumour boards.

I would like us to sing a number of players between 22 and 30, because i think it will be a lot more tactical game and with better players in the championship. I am certain there are a number of players in the championship that would not be out of place in the premier league bottom half of the table.

Total spend currently: 

image.png.365d16dd7ee12b8cc9ca0940fa0c4c70.png

Seen a few suggestions for Phillips from Barnsley. I actually rate Luca Connell much higher. Been very impressed with him several times. Younger than Phillips too. 

28 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Going to the Netherlands can bring some real quality, a few championship clubs have had good success in getting players from the eredivisie as of late. I’ve found two players in positions I think we need.

Redoun El Yaakoubi, Centre back, 28- He is 6 foot 1 and strong in the air with his contract expiring this summer. He is a threat from set pieces with 9 goals in 100 games for the Dutch side. He also is in the 94th percentile for aerial duels won by centre backs in the league and the 95th percentile for defensive actions. 

Julian Baas, Central midfield, 22 - also from Excelsior Baas is a great box to box midfielder with a decent amount of potential. Over his last 3 seasons has came in with 9 goals and 17 assists. He would be a great max bird replacement to complement Ebou Adams (hopefully). At 22 he is only going to get better. He also is good over a set piece taking free kicks and corners regularly and even taking a penalty against Ajax in their last game. 

Funnily enough just after I posted this Warnes interview was released where he’s said he’ll be looking at the free agent market and him and his staff are going to games in the Netherlands to look at players. 

Also extra info for people who haven’t seen it, they’re also going to be at games in Denmark and Warne has already met with a few players who he’s trying to sign.

Also any chance that we could persuade some of the youngsters we let go to come back? Even if it’s on loan. Kellyman seems to be an exciting prospect and kaide Gordon has had glimpses. We would need a deal where we don’t have to pay if Gordon gets injured as he appears to be a bit injury prone at this point of his career.

27 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Funnily enough just after I posted this Warnes interview was released where he’s said he’ll be looking at the free agent market and him and his staff are going to games in the Netherlands to look at players. 

Also extra info for people who haven’t seen it, they’re also going to be at games in Denmark and Warne has already met with a few players who he’s trying to sign.

Good, I like the sound of that. Dutch and Scandinavian players seem to be getting more and more common in the Championship, as do Japanese players. Anecdotal, I know, I haven’t ran any numbers!

Liam Bennett - 22 year old right back from Cambridge, all the attacking play goes through him, very comfortable on the ball and puts in a wicked cross. Just won player of the season, would suit us if we carry on with the 3 at the back with wing backs. I think he’d be able to step up to the Champ and shouldn’t cost an arm and a leg I’d imagine.

2 hours ago, Oldben said:

Those that have spent the most this season are at the top and those who have spent next to nothing are at the bottom.

Those that have spent almost nothing, this speaks for itself.

Decent players in those squads in the bottom 5 or 6 teams, in my opinion, is a matter of conjecture.

We have to end the season some between 10th and 21st place. Yet I am not over confident we are looking to spend to compete.

Cardiff appear to be asking 500k for Adams, we are offering 250k, that does not show serious intentions.

I hear fans saying, its fine, we will pick up the best free agents and it will move us forward, so that worked out great in previous seasons for newly promoted clubs, not sure it did.

The best available free agents are still likely to go to established teams in the championship.

The players id like to sign at the championship level cost to much.

It leaves us hoping that the league one and two players we want to sign are either cheap or are available as free agents, and the best of those free agents will probably already have been scouted by the established championship teams.

Should we be scouting europe for free agents, assuming we are nothing on the rumour boards.

I would like us to sing a number of players between 22 and 30, because i think it will be a lot more tactical game and with better players in the championship. I am certain there are a number of players in the championship that would not be out of place in the premier league bottom half of the table.

Total spend currently: 

image.png.365d16dd7ee12b8cc9ca0940fa0c4c70.png

It’s called negotiation. You go in low (but not ridiculously low) with the hope and expectation that you’ll meet somewhere in the middle.

If their ask is £500k (again, have they gone in high?) an opening bid of £250k doesn’t sound too unreasonable.

Posted (edited)

i am not overly concerned about who, but can we please change the profile of player going forward. my main critique of our league one spell is we have been far too short sighted, if we hadn't made it this season we would have had to start again. it paid off in the end but it was a risk.

we need a younger profile of player with good athletism as thats what the modern game is all about. I dont want a bunch of 30 year olds on frees. we are gonna have to shell out some money if we are gonna compete in the champ.

Edited by alram

I look at Birmingham's transfers this season as similar to what we need. You could argue these players weren't good enough (as they have got relegated), but they bought in a similar profile of players to what we need.

6 fees paid out (including 5 for players under 25yo), for a total of 6m+.

Will we have a budget that big? Highly unlikely.

They also brought in a couple of free transfers of players aged 25-28, as well as 5 loans (mostly young players too).

Screenshot_2024-05-04-15-37-34-90_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

3 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Not a chance, he left the club when we were near down and out and left in the worst way he possibly could. Have no time for someone like him in a rams jersey. 

Zero chance, would rather play with ten