England - Euro 2024

Bris Vegas

I thought I’d start this thread now as relevant news has come out ahead of the tournament.

1 - Southgate has been over to watch Henderson at Ajax. I can only assume to see if he still has it at the top level.

2 - The FA have announced they would like Southgate to remain on after Euro 2024, regardless of performance. I take this as a confidence-booster and to settle down any thoughts of a potential exit.

4 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I thought I’d start this thread now as relevant news has come out ahead of the tournament.

1 - Southgate has been over to watch Henderson at Ajax. I can only assume to see if he still has it at the top level.

2 - The FA have announced they would like Southgate to remain on after Euro 2024, regardless of performance. I take this as a confidence-booster and to settle down any thoughts of a potential exit.

Tee-hee......from a fellow wind-up merchant 😜

giphy.gif.c9b47bcc6de777ecb14dbf2daf773a7f.gif

I created a topic on Southgate, pretty derogatory which came back to slap me in the face pretty hard. I apologised whilst knowing he would never have or likely to see a word I write. Saying that, it cleared by conscious at the time.

Anyhow, I would just like to thank Southgate for what he's done for the country, however after the Euros I would kindly ask you step down regardless of how far we make it.

I just feel it's time for something fresh, new ideas to build around our shiny new toy Jude Bellingham.

I also feel it would be beneficial to the team if you go public with your intentions to step down prior to the competition, allowing the players a chance to not only say thank you with their performances, also take the chance to impress potential replacements.

7 years is a good old stint, chances are you will find yourself a cushty office job which pays the mortgage and new waistcoats. Reigniting your career as a manager domestically whilst will no doubt be an option, you've been out of it now for 15 years, that's a long old time, stick your feet up, be an ambassador or whatever the FA offer you and take it easy.

Cheers Gareth.

This is typical from the FA. Completely useless no bottle or backbone, just want a yes man.

However fortunately Southgate is a man of principle and dignity. He has said before he doesn’t want to overstay his welcome and again he was playing down staying on by saying let’s see how we get on. If we don’t win the Euros I think he’d move on of his own accord. 

He’s done an outstanding job for England, thought we were unlucky in Qatar v France if we’d won that (and could’ve gone either way and we were arguably the better side that evening) we could have gone on to win it. It was right he was given the Euros given it was a short turnaround of only 18 months from World Cup.

He needs to win the Euros now, this team is ready (injuries permitting) and if he does then he should be given the option to take us to the World Cup if he wants it.

1 hour ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

He needs to win the Euros now, this team is ready (injuries permitting) and if he does then he should be given the option to take us to the World Cup if he wants it.

Harry Kane will surely be desperate for a trophy after a season with Bayern Munich 👀

4 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

This is typical from the FA. Completely useless no bottle or backbone, just want a yes man.

However fortunately Southgate is a man of principle and dignity. He has said before he doesn’t want to overstay his welcome and again he was playing down staying on by saying let’s see how we get on. If we don’t win the Euros I think he’d move on of his own accord. 

He’s done an outstanding job for England, thought we were unlucky in Qatar v France if we’d won that (and could’ve gone either way and we were arguably the better side that evening) we could have gone on to win it. It was right he was given the Euros given it was a short turnaround of only 18 months from World Cup.

The thing is, I don’t think the England job has the same sort of prestige as it once did. 10-15 years ago moving from Aston Villa, Newcastle or Spurs to the England job would be a step up. But now it’s a step down as everybody wants to manage in the PL, and even clubs outside the ‘big six’ are attracting top class managers.

Who would you have replace Southgate should he leave? Eddie Howe would be mad to leave Newcastle.

Could Jurgen Klopp be tempted if he wants a break from club football. There has been talk of potentially Pep Guardiola having an interest after he leaves City (potentially at the end of 2025). But you don’t change managers in the middle of a campaign, only after a major tournament so Southgate either goes after Euros or after World Cup 2026.

Get Klopp in 2024 or Pep in 2026. I don’t see any other standout options. 

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

The thing is, I don’t think the England job has the same sort of prestige as it once did. 10-15 years ago moving from Aston Villa, Newcastle or Spurs to the England job would be a step up. But now it’s a step down as everybody wants to manage in the PL, and even clubs outside the ‘big six’ are attracting top class managers.

Who would you have replace Southgate should he leave? Eddie Howe would be mad to leave Newcastle.

Could Jurgen Klopp be tempted if he wants a break from club football. There has been talk of potentially Pep Guardiola having an interest after he leaves City (potentially at the end of 2025). But you don’t change managers in the middle of a campaign, only after a major tournament so Southgate either goes after Euros or after World Cup 2026.

Get Klopp in 2024 or Pep in 2026. I don’t see any other standout options. 

Hopefully he wins the Euros and decides to stay on.

Quite like Southgate. His loyalty to players, which has drawn criticism is I feel a key element on the togetherness of the team, which in turn has helped us get further more consistently in tournaments than anytime in my football watching life (first real memory was Euro 88). We have good players, but the golden generation (rolls eyes) didnt do much. He is predictable, I dont doubt his midfield three will be Rice, Henderson, Bellingham with Foden, Saka and Kane up top. Maguire will play. Trent Alexander Arnold on the bench, Tomori in Italy. 

This tournament should maybe be his last, a good run and I agree that giving the players the chance for a known "one last shot" could help. After Southgate, I reckon the next manager though should still be low key, and not 'the story'. Pep, Klopp? They'll be the story, likewise if Jose is available. They may not want it, Pep bless him will get very frustrated when he realises in international football you can't just go off and sign players to fill a gap, being stuck with a single pool of players doesn't seem like either of their ways. Too much risk to their "greatest of all time" reputations.

22 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Quite like Southgate. His loyalty to players, which has drawn criticism is I feel a key element on the togetherness of the team, which in turn has helped us get further more consistently in tournaments than anytime in my football watching life (first real memory was Euro 88). We have good players, but the golden generation (rolls eyes) didnt do much. He is predictable, I dont doubt his midfield three will be Rice, Henderson, Bellingham with Foden, Saka and Kane up top. Maguire will play. Trent Alexander Arnold on the bench, Tomori in Italy. 

This tournament should maybe be his last, a good run and I agree that giving the players the chance for a known "one last shot" could help. After Southgate, I reckon the next manager though should still be low key, and not 'the story'. Pep, Klopp? They'll be the story, likewise if Jose is available. They may not want it, Pep bless him will get very frustrated when he realises in international football you can't just go off and sign players to fill a gap, being stuck with a single pool of players doesn't seem like either of their ways. Too much risk to their "greatest of all time" reputations.

I actually think Pep would look at this England team and think he could really take it on.

He already has Walker, Stones, Grealish and Foden.

He could set us up in his 3-2-4-1 system with a back three of Maguire, Stones and Walker. Rice in the Rodri role alongside Trent. A midfield of Grealish, Foden, Bellingham and Saka with Kane upfront.

On 10/02/2024 at 13:31, Norman said:

Bellingham, Forden and Rice.

Playing in behind Saka, Kane and Rashford (just jokes) and Grealish.

The best (imo) Right Back in the world in Walker and a decent enough defence.

Please don't waste it, Gareth. I fear you might do, though. 

The trouble with playing Foden, or indeed Maddison, with Bellingham and Rice means Bellingham will end up playing deeper when he is on a rich vein of goalscoring form. Our defence and keeper isn't great and any injury to Rice, Stones or Kane would be a disaster. 

I'm not suggesting Henderson or Phillips but the 3rd midfielder is a massive conundrum.   

8 hours ago, Wolfie said:

I don't think I've ever been less engaged with England and an upcoming tournament than I am right now.

No offence… but doesn’t not being that engaged with an England team that’s repaired relations with the tabloids whilst coming off a World Cup Semi-final and Euros final in 2/3 tournaments say more about you?

23 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

Still can't forgive Southgate for bottling the Euro final when winning and not giving Italy a sniff up to that point.

He's just a Poundland Warne.

There were two teams in that game… I’ve banged on about it before but we still lack a midfielder that can dictate the tempo. Jorginho and Veratti* gradually started controlling that match as Modric had done three years prior.

*Veratti alone made more passes than England’s ENTIRE midfield that night.

1 hour ago, cannable said:

No offence… but doesn’t not being that engaged with an England team that’s repaired relations with the tabloids whilst coming off a World Cup Semi-final and Euros final in 2/3 tournaments say more about you?

What’s the tabloid relationship got to do with anything? I don't read them. 

7 hours ago, sage said:

The trouble with playing Foden, or indeed Maddison, with Bellingham and Rice means Bellingham will end up playing deeper when he is on a rich vein of goalscoring form. Our defence and keeper isn't great and any injury to Rice, Stones or Kane would be a disaster. 

I'm not suggesting Henderson or Phillips but the 3rd midfielder is a massive conundrum.   

Gallagher or Ward-Prowse?

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Gallagher or Ward-Prowse?

Along with Barkley they are the right type without being really good enough. Foden too attacking for a blend and TAA isn't being played in midfield