England - Euro 2024

Bris Vegas

Doesn’t really matter. It’s only a friendly.

England need a notch on their belt in a competitive game against a top rival.

A win over Portugal or Spain in the 1/4 final would give everyone the confidence that we can actually win it.

But what we will probably get is an easy run to the semi-final where we play a big boy and we unluckily lose, again, just like we did in 2002, 2004, 2006 with the last golden generation and 2018, 2020 and 2022 with this one.

I’m 35 and the only big scalps we’ve had in my time is Spain 96 (at Wembley) and Germany 2022 (at Wembley and they were at their worst for two decades).

28 years (and 13 major tournaments) of properly watching England football and only 2 wins against big names in knockout football.

Belgium have more than that over the past 4 years.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

It wouldn't surprise me if half of the people that make comments, like the ones above, haven't even watched the game.

Sadly I think a lot of this is personal and political. The stuff some come out with is beyond rational debate.

8 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Doesn’t really matter. It’s only a friendly.

England need a notch on their belt in a competitive game against a top rival.

A win over Portugal or Spain in the 1/4 final would give everyone the confidence that we can actually win it.

But what we will probably get is an easy run to the semi-final where we play a big boy and we unluckily lose, again, just like we did in 2002, 2004, 2006 with the last golden generation and 2018, 2020 and 2022 with this one.

I’m 35 and the only big scalps we’ve had in my time is Spain 96 (at Wembley) and Germany 2022 (at Wembley and they were at their worst for two decades).

28 years (and 13 major tournaments) of properly watching England football and only 2 wins against big names in knockout football.

Belgium have more than that over the past 4 years.

Holland 1996

Argentina 2002

We've also beaten plenty of good South American and African teams in that time but because they aren't Brazil, Germany or Italy, people just assume they can't be good teams.

22 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Holland 1996

Argentina 2002

We've also beaten plenty of good South American and African teams in that time but because they aren't Brazil, Germany or Italy, people just assume they can't be good teams.

I think some people think that if England beat them, they are not good teams.

On no account should we give England any credit.

15 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

At least we are used to that sort of thing on this forum!

5 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Holland 1996

Argentina 2002

They were group games.

What teams have we beaten in knockout football where you can genuinely call them a genuine contender? 

Ecuador, Paraguay, Colombia and Senegal? Come on. England should be beating them if we consider ourselves a contender for the tournament.

On the contrary every time we come up against an Argentina, Portugal, Germany, Belgium, Italy, France or Brazil on foreign soil in a knockout game we have lost.

Croatia and Belgium have beaten more ‘contenders’ in the past two tournaments than we have in the past 15. Crazy.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

They were group games.

What teams have we beaten in knockout football where you can genuinely call them a genuine contender? 

Ecuador, Paraguay, Colombia and Senegal? Come on. England should be beating them if we consider ourselves a contender for the tournament.

On the contrary every time we come up against an Argentina, Portugal, Germany, Belgium, Italy, France or Brazil on foreign soil in a knockout game we have lost.

Croatia and Belgium have beaten more ‘contenders’ in the past two tournaments than we have in the past 15. Crazy.

Are group games not competitive games then?

It doesn't matter who we beat, it will never be good enough for the people sat there waiting to say how rubbish we are the moment we lose a game.

Who are the 'contenders' that Croatia and Belgium have beaten? And why is it crazy? They are 2 decent footballing nations.

11 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Holland 1996

Argentina 2002

10 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

On Ben Foster's pod cast, The Cycling GK, he says that England have won 6 of the last 27 games against teams ranked in the top 10, I haven't fact checked it, but if true that is a pretty poor record, and backs what @Bris Vegas is saying, we need a win against one of the better nations to give everyone (fans and players) the belief that we can win against these teams, and we deserve to be considered a feared top nation, instead of a flat track bully. Foster and Darren Bent also say the same in the same podcast.

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Are group games not competitive games then?

It doesn't matter who we beat, it will never be good enough for the people sat there waiting to say how rubbish we are the moment we lose a game.

Who are the 'contenders' that Croatia and Belgium have beaten? And why is it crazy? They are 2 decent footballing nations.

My original post states knockout games. But if you want to go that way, sure we can Argentina and Holland to the wins, and we can also add Portugal (00), France (04), Italy, Uruguay (2014) and Belgium (18) to the list - more defeats than wins.

Belgium and Croatia have beaten Portugal, Brazil and England in the past few years.

The crazy part is that they have more wins against top teams in the past 3 tournaments than England do in the past 15.

When you factor in Iceland, Romania and the Euro 2008 debacle, we’re probably equally likely to lose to a team outside the top 20 as we are beating a fellow top 10 side.

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

My original post states knockout games. But if you want to go that way, sure we can Argentina and Holland to the wins, and we can also add Portugal (00), France (04), Italy, Uruguay (2014) and Belgium (18) to the list - more defeats than wins.

Belgium and Croatia have beaten Portugal, Brazil and England in the past few years.

The crazy part is that they have more wins against top teams in the past 3 tournaments than England do in the past 15.

When you factor in Iceland, Romania and the Euro 2008 debacle, we’re probably equally likely to lose to a team outside the top 20 as we are beating a fellow top 10 side.

I imagine if England had beaten Portugal and Brazil you would be pointing out that they were the worst Portuguese and Brazilian teams in decades...

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

I imagine if England had beaten Portugal and Brazil you would be pointing out that they were the worst Portuguese and Brazilian teams in decades...

Hardly. I only say that about Germany at 2020 because they failed to get out of their world cup 2018 and 2022 group. The past six years Germany have been about as good as England were between 2010-16. Crap.

England would have won Euro 2004 had Rooney not been injured and we beat Portugal on penalties. I’m sure of that.

It’s not even a hate thing. I thought we were the better side against France in 2022. I just want us to beat a big name and prove we are good enough to win a tournament.

Beating the likes of Ukraine, Sweden, Denmark, Senegal and Colombia is all good but it won’t win us tournaments.

9 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Hardly. I only say that about Germany at 2020 because they failed to get out of their world cup 2018 and 2022 group. The past six years Germany have been about as good as England were between 2010-16. Crap.

England would have won Euro 2004 had Rooney not been injured and we beat Portugal on penalties. I’m sure of that.

It’s not even a hate thing. I thought we were the better side against France in 2022. I just want us to beat a big name and prove we are good enough to win a tournament.

Beating the likes of Ukraine, Sweden, Denmark, Senegal and Colombia is all good but it won’t win us tournaments.

Nor did beating Portugal and Brazil, for Croatia and Belgium.

England have been on the wrong end of some pretty disgraceful refereeing/officiating eg: Maradona 1986, Beckham's red card v Argentina 1998, Lampard's "goal" v Germany 2010 to name but 3 that, had the correct decisions been made, might have led to a different outcome. 

I wonder of other countries fans have gone into meltdown. 

France and Netherlands have both been beaten by  previously struggling Germany. France then later squeezed past Chile 3-2 with a deflected shot and Chile hitting the post.

Spain only drew with Brazil due to 2 soft penalties. Italy edged the might of Venezuala 2-1. 

Portugal lost 2-0 to Slovenia.

We had over half our probable starting XI missing. 

Chill out people.

Edited by sage