England - Euro 2024

Bris Vegas

6 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Ben White as a holding midfielder wouldn’t actually be a bad option.

Well apart from him not playing there for his club, not being good enough, not wanting to play for England and being an orange faced knob, I can see where you're coming from .

5 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Probably wants to concentrate on Arsenal, and perhaps feels he has been overlooked in the past.

Both Stones or White could play in the holding role. 

Have you seen the state of our CBs?

It's hard enough to come up with 2 good ones when Stones is one of them.

Definitley light in midfield and at left back.

Personally would like to se JWP in there but was never likely to be included.

Will be interesting to see how we line up in midfield, maybe get away with Bellingham - Rice - Maddison against weaker opposition but you would need someone along side Rice when play a France for example.

Very strong going forward, Solanke unlucky to be behind Toney.

13 hours ago, sage said:

Who plays with Rice and Bellingham? I see people keep saying Foden which is ludicrous 

There’s going to have to be a compromise somewhere.

Someone unfashionable like Henderson plays.

You take a risk on TAA (if he’ll even be fit).

You risk Foden, Bellingham and Rice but you tell the latter two to play to a role.

Back three, midfield two of Bellingham and Rice and you tell the former to play to a role.

The nuclear option would be Stones in midfield and a leave a vulnerable back two.

6 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

It's probably linked to the reason he left the world cup, whatever it was.

Arsenal sporting director Edu informed John McDermott, technical director at the Football Association, last week that White does not want to be currently considered for England squads, having not been called up since he was sent home early from the 2022 World Cup.

White left Qatar for what the Football Association called “personal reasons” but reports later emerged of an alleged bust-up with England assistant Steve Holland.

Southgate denied any such fall-out on Thursday, although White’s absence from a squad ravaged by injuries has already sparked debate over the future international prospects of the versatile defender.

11 minutes ago, cannable said:

You risk Foden, Bellingham and Rice but you tell the latter two to play to a role.

Back three, midfield two of Bellingham and Rice and you tell the former to play to a role.

The nuclear option would be Stones in midfield and a leave a vulnerable back two.

We should just go for it, ‘we're gonna score one more than you’ style. 

2 hours ago, cannable said:

or...take a gamble on someone who could play the role you want but isn't top class like Barkley or Gallagher or someone left field like Gomes.  

41 minutes ago, sage said:

or...take a gamble on someone who could play the role you want but isn't top class like Barkley or Gallagher or someone left field like Gomes.  

I'd probably prefer this, but I can't see Barkley getting called up after not making this squad. I imagine Southgate is hyper-cautious when it comes to risking squad cohesion.

9 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I'd probably prefer this, but I can't see Barkley getting called up after not making this squad. I imagine Southgate is hyper-cautious when it comes to risking squad cohesion.

I think he only sees Henderson as a squad player/game finisher. If TAA is fit he plays, if not, Gallagher. Personally I'd play Gomes.