England - Euro 2024

Bris Vegas

4 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Belgium and Croatia both lost to the eventual champions.

England didn’t.

Croatia and Belgium are clearly the teams to try and emulate then. 

Although I thought we lost to the eventual champions in the Euros final, my mistake.

Edited by G STAR RAM

4 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Belgium and Croatia both lost to the eventual champions.

England didn’t.

You’re not wrong that we’ve fallen at the seemingly more difficult hurdles. But we can only beat what’s in front of us, which we face fine without any significant dramas (since Iceland), and when we’ve come up against tougher opposition, we’ve hit bloody close. 

there’s an alternate timeline somewhere where Saka scored a penalty, and Kane scored a penalty, and we’re now back to back euro and World Cup winners. It’s all such ridiculously fine margins, especially in international tournament football when one bad day, one bad result, means you’re out and essentially have to wait 2 years to pick yourself back up and have another go. 

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Croatia and Belgium are clearly the teams to try and emulate then. 

Although I thought we lost to the eventual champions in the Euros final, my mistake.

We should try and emulate Belgium and Croatia and beat a good team. We may stand a chance of winning something then.

Both Belgium and Croatia have proven they are contenders by knocking out other contenders. They both just ran into the eventual winners of the past two world cups - France and Argentina.

The only reason Southgate is still in a job is because we avoided France, Belgium, Spain, Italy, Argentina, Brazil, Portugal etc. until the semi-finals in 18 and 20.

Had we drawn any of them in the last 16 or 1/4 final he’d not be in the job today.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

We should try and emulate Belgium and Croatia and beat a good team. We may stand a chance of winning something then.

Both Belgium and Croatia have proven they are contenders by knocking out other contenders. They both just ran into the eventual winners of the past two world cups - France and Argentina.

The only reason Southgate is still in a job is because we avoided France, Belgium, Spain, Italy, Argentina, Brazil, Portugal etc. until the semi-finals in 18 and 20.

Had we drawn any of them in the last 16 or 1/4 final he’d not be in the job today.

But we aren't a contender despite reaching the semi final of the World Cup and final of the Euros 😂 You don't half come out with some crap

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

But we aren't a contender despite reaching the semi final of the World Cup and final of the Euros 😂 You don't half come out with some crap

Ah the classic spin my words. You don’t half come out with some crap responses.

On 29/03/2024 at 19:13, littleover ram said:

Injuries permitting:

Pickford

Walker Stones Maguire Shaw

Rice Manioo

Saka Bellingham Foden

Kane

would appear to be our strongest XI

Second that team. Should be enough to win the tournament.

I don't really understand the moaning. I think England have been bang their in recent tournaments and their results have been broadly in keeping with their ranking. That said, we do have a really talented and improving crop of young players and it'd not surprise me to see them win a major tournament. I doubt too many fans of other nations would be surprised either as I think for once, there's plenty of respect for our player's technical ability these days, something that's not always been the case. 

Personally, I think France are probably the most likely winners, but I'd be more hopeful of an England triumph in this tournament than just about any other I've witnessed, as there's not too much between the two sides these days IMO.

On 29/03/2024 at 08:26, Crewton said:

England have been on the wrong end of some pretty disgraceful refereeing/officiating eg: Maradona 1986, Beckham's red card v Argentina 1998, Lampard's "goal" v Germany 2010 to name but 3 that, had the correct decisions been made, might have led to a different outcome. 

Beckham’s red card deserved snidy kick at an opponent. 

Edited by Reggie Greenwood
Rubbish spelling due to fat fingers

18 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

I have to disagree there. The referee completely over-reacted to a flick of Beckham's foot that barely touched Simeone. Beckham got a straight red while Simeone got away with a yellow for the much more reckless challenge on Beckham that provoked the retaliation, and got away scot-free with the simulation that he later admitted to. 

Simeone deserved levelling, let alone the faint tickle that Beckham gave him. Fortunately, Arthur Numan nailed him in the next round.

22 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I have to disagree there. The referee completely over-reacted to a flick of Beckham's foot that barely touched Simeone. Beckham got a straight red while Simeone got away with a yellow for the much more reckless challenge on Beckham that provoked the retaliation, and got away scot-free with the simulation that he later admitted to. 

Simeone deserved levelling, let alone the faint tickle that Beckham gave him. Fortunately, Arthur Numan nailed him in the next round.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one 😅

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

Not a Red Card for me, But, There's officials out there that like to be in the limelight...Nielsen was one of them, Simeone and Nielsen both caught a whopper...Beckham bit 😡

7 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

To me, this a sad indictment of what has happened to our game.

How any football fan could see that incident and say it was worthy of a red card is beyond me.

40 years ago it would probably not have even got you a talking to from the ref.

Think we had an excellent chance in the last two tournaments, playing ok, within ourselves and yes a bit of luck too (draw wise). I feel a bit more pessimistic this time, but saying that a plucky 1-0 against the lowest ranked team in tournament and I'll be all "Its coming home!"

Been trying to work out the England team, it pretty much picks itself except Luke Shaws fitness, and the question over will Southgate return to Henderson once the tournament starts. Admittedly I've not seen Mainoo too much, hasn't overly impressed when I've seen him, and I appear to be struggling to think of other centre mids, as Bellingham must surely be played in am advanced role. Think it calls for Will Hughes, but I'm biased. 

It'll be lattrr stage disappointment again, story of my England life.