2024 loans out

12 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Yes this is two leagues below, but you look at all these goals -

left foot, right foot, headers, and often very clever finishes, poaching in the six yard area, running from the halfway line, shooting from outside the box - 

And all the other stuff too.  He looks quick enough to run away from players for the first goal in that clip.  There's a great first touch and some lovely close control to create the space for the second of his hattrick.  There's some great runs to get into position to score some of those poaches - the one for the last goal in particular.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Yes this is two leagues below, but you look at all these goals -

left foot, right foot, headers, and often very clever finishes, poaching in the six yard area, running from the halfway line, shooting from outside the box - 

And this fast, powerful, skillful, confident young striker looks *exactly* what we (and any team at our level and probably above) needs. It seems baffling he's not had proper first team time this season. But huge plaudits to Dajaune for putting down a marker, and getting an U23 international call up as an 18 year old. The future looks bright with him on our books - scoring goals is the hardest thing. 

He wasn't 'mentally' ready for first team football prior to this loan to be fair. It was obvious he had the physicality to cope, and his goal record at youth level showed he had that killer instinct. However, when given his brief chances in the first team, he looked lost.

The only way for him to overcome it was from game time, and I think it was reasonable to give him starts in Cup competitions. Unfortunately, he never got those chances. 

It still took him a few sub apps to get over that mental block when at Gateshead. His first goal was just what he needed to get going. Is it 8 goals and 2 or 3 assists in his last 7 games?

5 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

He wasn't 'mentally' ready for first team football prior to this loan to be fair. It was obvious he had the physicality to cope, and his goal record at youth level showed he had that killer instinct. However, when given his brief chances in the first team, he looked lost.

The only way for him to overcome it was from game time, and I think it was reasonable to give him starts in Cup competitions. Unfortunately, he never got those chances. 

It still took him a few sub apps to get over that mental block when at Gateshead. His first goal was just what he needed to get going. Is it 8 goals and 2 or 3 assists in his last 7 games?

“Wasn't mentally ready for first team football” - the only sight we got of that was his only first team appearance where he was played in completely the wrong position effectively sharing the same role and space as Collins, who gave him nothing to feed off, and no opportunities, so the poor lad looked clueless. If he had been played alongside or off Collins it almost certainly would have been a different story. 

The cynic in me thinks that Warne set it up that way to prove his theory that Browne wasn’t ready and justify his refusal to use the youngsters. At the time fans were clamouring for the youngsters to be given a chance, and followed the promising debuts of Fatepu and Weston, so Browne’s engineered “flop” was a way of shutting us up - “I gave him his chance and he wasn’t up to it. I did tell you”! Warne hasn’t gone near the kids since then.

2 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

“Wasn't mentally ready for first team football” - the only sight we got of that was his only first team appearance where he was played in completely the wrong position effectively sharing the same role and space as Collins, who gave him nothing to feed off, and no opportunities, so the poor lad looked clueless. If he had been played alongside or off Collins it almost certainly would have been a different story. 

The cynic in me thinks that Warne set it up that way to prove his theory that Browne wasn’t ready and justify his refusal to use the youngsters. At the time fans were clamouring for the youngsters to be given a chance, and followed the promising debuts of Fatepu and Weston, so Browne’s engineered “flop” was a way of shutting us up - “I gave him his chance and he wasn’t up to it. I did tell you”! Warne hasn’t gone near the kids since then.

Conspiracy theory at it's best......

I believe he should have been given opportunities in the cup games as @Ghost of Cloughstated, but to suggest it was 'engineered' for him to fail..... really?

14 minutes ago, Rich84 said:

I believe he should have been given opportunities in the cup games as @Ghost of Cloughstated, but to suggest it was 'engineered' for him to fail..... really?

Warne set the team up wrong, but I don't think it was engineered. I just think Warne is a poor tactician.

In the first half, we had two forwards who want to occupy the same same space in the box. In the second half we took one off and put Weston on who is a #10. Weston was able to play his natural game, and there was an extra player helping to create chances - hence Collins scoring two more goals for his hattrick.

I firmly believe Brown would have performed better if playing with Weston instead of Collins. Either way, he needed game time in men's football and wasn't going to get the chances he needed in the first team.

I remember Ebiowei starting the 21/22 season on fire, averaging a goal a game for the U18s. His youth performances earned his a few sub appearances in the first team, but cost us a valuable point away at Cardiff (?). If Warne was manager, he would have been dropped back intot he U21s, if given a go in the first place. However, Rooney opted to give him a start the following game. He started the restvof the games that season, and was viewed as one of our best players by the end of the season, all because he was given time in the first team.

2 hours ago, ram59 said:

Just seen on SSN that Gateshead have signed another striker from Crawley on loan to the end of the season, does that mean that DB is about to return to Derby for the run in or am I adding 2 and 2 to make 5?

The Gateshead fans are worried and talking about it. This new loan seems a strange move for them unless DB is coming back. Here's a North East football writer, just commenting on how good Brown is:

13 hours ago, Rich84 said:

I am somewhat cynical at times,  but we had seen Fatepu and Weston perform well in the cup matches and there were calls for them to be given more chances, and since Browne’s appearance we haven’t seen any kids being given a chance, despite our desperate position with injuries. The process is a standard management tool when people bring a challenge to “head them off at the pass”. He is known for being stubborn and determined, and for kids to come in and transform the team would show him up for his tactical naivety. 

12 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

The Gateshead fans are worried and talking about it. This new loan seems a strange move for them unless DB is coming back. Here's a North East football writer, just commenting on how good Brown is:

Would love to see him back and be given more than a few minutes to prove himself in League one. I do believe that there was a clause in his loan that he could be called back at anytime after completing 28 days at Gateshead.

15 minutes ago, Crewton said:

It's great to see some of our loaned-out youngsters making a mark. So many go out and get overlooked by their loan clubs - that must be quite demoralising.

I do feel bad for Oduroh at Hartlepool who presumably isn't coming back. It felt such a coup when he signed, after skippering the Man City youth team IIRC.

That said, I did wonder if Bates was gone for good too, but maybe this is to give him experience (18, same age as Brown)?