2024 loans out

9 hours ago, plymouthram said:

I was referring to Dajaune Brown who is under contract until June 2026, so that suggests he's rated by someone at the club. But I think in my opinion sending out a talented youngster on loan to a lesser club is'nt going to make him improve. If anything they go backwards in their development due to being with an inferior club with no where near the same facilities as his parent club.

By this logic you’d need to write off the number of current premier league players who were loaned out to lesser clubs as part of their development. It’s a well practised system throughout the football league, yet some are talking on here like it’s a massive error on our part to do the same. Brown is young, and has a contract, he’s got a short loan away from the club to aid in his development and will be back at the end of his loan to continue progressing. 
The only caveat I suppose is the timing of the loan due to our shortage of forward options, however at the time the club had every chance of adding players in the January window and perhaps expected Waghorn to be back sooner etc.

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

On 19/02/2024 at 22:04, Jram said:

Emil Riis currently plays for Preston. Callum Guy has been very impressive in the last few seasons, albeit mostly in League 2 

Arguably Morgan Whittaker has gone on to show us he’s worth more than we thought but the club might argue selling him was a good option at the time.

Can't think of any other obvious ones tbf 

I think Timi Max Elsnick could also be added to that list. Appreciate he's now plying his trade in Slovenia, but his team are second in their top league and he's made 11 appearances for the national team. Think he'd have done a job for us, especially given what happened after he left.

45 minutes ago, valakari said:

I dont mind them going out on loan to get game time...but not to sit on Gateshead's bench ffs!!!

It's difficult going to a team which is hasn't lost since the day he joined - the won the day after he joined and he came off the bench. Since he's joined, they've won 5 and drawn 1. He got a full 90 in a cup game against NLN side Hereford. Prior to him joining, they had gone 4 league games without a win and only 1 win in 7.

I'd say he's been a bit unlucky with the timing, as he would probably have been starting league games if he was allowed to go out on loan at the start of January.

On 20/02/2024 at 07:12, G STAR RAM said:

Like when Dean Sturridge went to Torquay?

David Beckham to Preston maybe?

The quality of a teams facilities should not really affect the quality of a player in my opinion.

Dean Sturridge was sent to Torquay for his attitude/behaviour with the Rams staff and players. He played 10 times and scored 5 times, he was then swiftly called back. He had already played for the Rams making his debut in 1992 going to Torquay in 1994. Beckham only made 5 apps for Preston scoring 2 in 1994. Becks had signed for United in 1991 and made his 1st team apps in 1992. So both were already recognised quality players, the reasons behind a club doing that I don't have the answer. Perhaps they wanted to toughen them up in a less quality environment.

On 19/02/2024 at 23:36, RodleyRam said:

If this is the case then why does every club in the football pyramid do it? We've benefited from some exceptional loans over the years who have come in, performed for us and then gone back to their parent clubs with greater experience, confidence and improved abilities.

The fact that most of the players we've loaned out haven't gone and performed like this suggests more that they aren't great players rather than the concept of loaning out youngsters being a bad idea generally, which is what you seem to suggest. 

Also there is benefit in youngsters going out, gaining some independence, testing themselves, building bonds with new team mates etc. If they seize the opportunity, absorb it and learn from it should all help them to mature and develop resilience beyond just getting minutes on the pitch.

I agree with what you state, but the loans we brought in have been, in general good and have gone on to be better. But these loans have come from established solid premiership clubs. So we have'nt been getting cast-offs, more of a player they wanted to test in another league before stepping up into their parent clubs 1st team. E.G. Mason Mount, Fikayo Tomori, Harry Wilson etc

15 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Dean Sturridge was sent to Torquay for his attitude/behaviour with the Rams staff and players. He played 10 times and scored 5 times, he was then swiftly called back. He had already played for the Rams making his debut in 1992 going to Torquay in 1994. Beckham only made 5 apps for Preston scoring 2 in 1994. Becks had signed for United in 1991 and made his 1st team apps in 1992. So both were already recognised quality players, the reasons behind a club doing that I don't have the answer. Perhaps they wanted to toughen them up in a less quality environment.

Wouldn't say Sturridge was a recognised quality player.

On 20/02/2024 at 08:10, Caerphilly Ram said:

By this logic you’d need to write off the number of current premier league players who were loaned out to lesser clubs as part of their development. It’s a well practised system throughout the football league, yet some are talking on here like it’s a massive error on our part to do the same. Brown is young, and has a contract, he’s got a short loan away from the club to aid in his development and will be back at the end of his loan to continue progressing. 
The only caveat I suppose is the timing of the loan due to our shortage of forward options, however at the time the club had every chance of adding players in the January window and perhaps expected Waghorn to be back sooner etc.

Most loaned out youngsters from the top tier teams mainly go to a championship side with good facilities/coaches. The training facilities at Derby (Moor Farm) are a damn sight better than any team in the National league, come to think of it most of the teams in the Championship and a few in the top tier. I not going to state our coaches are the best, but I will stick my neck out and say they are better than Gateshead's. And last fact; so far Brown has played in 4 games for Gateshead amounting to a grand total of 51 mins of football, thats really not going to aid his development.

15 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Most loaned out youngsters from the top tier teams mainly go to a championship side with good facilities/coaches. The training facilities at Derby (Moor Farm) are a damn sight better than any team in the National league, come to think of it most of the teams in the Championship and a few in the top tier. I not going to state our coaches are the best, but I will stick my neck out and say they are better than Gateshead's. And last fact; so far Brown has played in 4 games for Gateshead amounting to a grand total of 51 mins of football, thats really not going to aid his development.

There are plenty of youngsters loaned out beyond the championship by premier league clubs.
It’s about more than the facilities used for training, loans are a proven way of aiding the development of players, I don’t know the full reasons for why but would speculate giving them experience at another club, in another dressing room, around other players, potentially senior pros rather than youth players all push the player beyond their comfort zone. If it wasn’t worth doing then clubs simply wouldn’t bother with it, so it must hold some value. 

That’s my opinion anyhow, based on the very obvious evidence of many clubs loaning out youngsters for many a year throughout the global market of football clubs. 

On 20/02/2024 at 07:12, G STAR RAM said:

Like when Dean Sturridge went to Torquay?

David Beckham to Preston maybe?

The quality of a teams facilities should not really affect the quality of a player in my opinion.

Sturridge was being sold to Torquay.  He went there as part of the Trollope deal on loan.  Then McFarland changed his mind and Torquay agreed to sell Trollope anyway.  

I wouldn't argue on the facilities.  Your good enough or your not.  Bar Sturridge and Ramage, every player who's played regularly for our first team will start there.  A couple can be missed but not many and that's normally when you have a large squad of expensive bench botherers

Callum Wilson, Pickford, Pope are just a number of names that went on loan to the national league. There are often players from the PL loaned out to the league to gain experience, 

It's not something Warne and his staff have just dreamed up to ruin our academy, being a third tier club, limits the number of clubs that are interested in players that can't get into our own first team.

On 21/02/2024 at 11:55, Mountain Ram said:

I think Timi Max Elsnick could also be added to that list. Appreciate he's now plying his trade in Slovenia, but his team are second in their top league and he's made 11 appearances for the national team. Think he'd have done a job for us, especially given what happened after he left.

His team Olimpija Ljubljana won the league last season and he is the current club captain. Will be 26 in April, made his debut for his national side when he was 23. Slovenia have qualified for Euro 2024 having only lost 2 qualfiying matches. Some one to look out for on the TV during the summer.

On 18/02/2024 at 22:06, SILVERFOXTHERAMSFAN said:

Brown has hardly played and hasn't scored for Gateshead. Is he ready for Division one ? No.

Yer but our championship manger / fifa UT fans know better 

Edited by NottsRam77

"...And with Martyn Waghorn expected to play some part against Charlton tomorrow, when asked if recalling Brown was an option, he said: "No not really.

"It would be too much for him. It is a big leap to go from there to leading our frontline. Respectfully to Daj I just think Nat has a better understanding.

"I just think that if the opposition saw the team sheet of Brown up top or Mendez-Laing, I just think the latter has more to give as does Tom Barkhuizen to be fair. And I don't think it's fair on the kid to throw him into that."

59 minutes ago, Returning ram said:

WTF is PW playing at, we have just lost a game and he doesn't think it's worth it 😳

Did he not see Klopp yesterday, he should be bringing him back to give him experience for the sake of it 🤨

Yeah I expect Brown will have watched the Carabao Cup final. Good to know what your manager thinks. 😉

32 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah I expect Brown will have watched the Carabao Cup final. Good to know what your manager thinks. 😉

If Klopp had lost the cup yesterday, he wouldn't have been slaughtered by Liverpool fans; if Warne wins a game in a less than convincing fashion, he gets pelters from certain posters here. So why would he gamble?