Free agents

sage

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

Wickham signed for a league one club last season didnt he before earning a move elsewhere due to his performances? 

He also hasn't played since last season and is made of glass. By the time he's fit enough to play, our other forwards will be back in the team anyway.

8 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

There are some options out there according to transfermarkt, whether any of them are feasible in terms of fitness, work permits, willingness to join etc is the bigger question;

- Lucas Joao formerly of Reading, only 30 so would be the pup of our forward line if he signed.

- Josef Martinez (also 30) formerly of Beckham’s Inter Miami. Venezuelan international, big name in the MLS for a few years and probably way too unrealistic an option for us.

- Lys Mousset formerly of Bournemouth and Sheff United, only 27 apparently. 

Connor Wickham, Dwight Gayle….Lewis Grabban 👀 

Realistically I think Warne will go with what he has, rightly or wrongly, but there are some options out there in free agent land. 

There must be a reason Jaoo still hasn't got a club. Pricing himself out maybe?

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

3 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I’m not sure what the situation is with him, transfermarkt has him as a free agent but @sage pointed out last night he signed a deal with a club in China and I can’t see anything saying he left that club so I reckon it’s an error on the website which happens. IF he is a free agent he’d be a good option but can’t see that we’d sign him 

10 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

We tried apparently, but misspelt his name on the registration paperwork.

Shame as the chant would have been great, 'Let me here you say Jaoo, Jaoo'  to the tune of Boom, Boom, Boom 😂

3 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I’m not sure what the situation is with him, transfermarkt has him as a free agent but @sage pointed out last night he signed a deal with a club in China and I can’t see anything saying he left that club so I reckon it’s an error on the website which happens. IF he is a free agent he’d be a good option but can’t see that we’d sign him 

Think he has since left China and is a free agent again 

2 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

Sheffield Star reckons Joao is a freebie, so he would be my top pick on an initial 6 month deal. 

Do I think Warne will pursue the free agent option? No

Is he available just Googled says he plays for Shanghai port? If he’s available what are we waiting for he’s only 30!

44 minutes ago, McMuffin said:

Is he available just Googled says he plays for Shanghai port? If he’s available what are we waiting for he’s only 30!

Released in January.

I'm surprised our Yorkshire scouts have missed Lys Mousset. Hasn't played much since leaving Sheff Utd in 2022 due to an achilles injury, but still only 27. Struggled in the PL, but scored 3 in 7 (320 mins) in the Championship. He would score for fun at this level. 

7 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I'm surprised our Yorkshire scouts have missed Lys Mousset. Hasn't played much since leaving Sheff Utd in 2022 due to an achilles injury, but still only 27. Struggled in the PL, but scored 3 in 7 (320 mins) in the Championship. He would score for fun at this level. 

Another potential crock who's not likely to be match fit for a few weeks, sounds like a perfect fit for Derby.

55 minutes ago, StarterForTen said:

I think Warne might consider Barkhuizen a better option than any of the above.

My brother is a Stokie and his view on Gayle: “Proper sh1te. Scored three in 50 appearances and two of those goals were when the ball just hit him and went in.”

Talking exclusively to Football League World, former England international, Carlton Palmer, believes Derby County would be the best fit for Gayle as Paul Warne's striker hunt continues.

"Former Newcastle United striker Dwight Gayle is a free agent after terminating his Stoke City contract on deadline day. The 34-year-old joined The Potters from Newcastle in the summer of 2022 and struggled to perform having scored just three times in 50 appearances," said Palmer.

Not an improvement to our team.

This whole "they won't be fit" thing is nonsense imo. Do people think footballers are sat in their pants watching netflix until a club comes calling? If they're professional they'll be in shape all year round and potentially training with other clubs anyway. 

1 minute ago, YouRams said:

This whole "they won't be fit" thing is nonsense imo. Do people think footballers are sat in their pants watching netflix until a club comes calling? If they're professional they'll be in shape all year round and potentially training with other clubs anyway. 

Definitely in the case of Dwight Gayle he’d be close to match fit having been part of Stoke’s first team until a few days ago. He’ll have been training daily and been in squads right? Unless he’s been injured.

44 minutes ago, YouRams said:

If they're serious about being professional footballer then they'll be fit. Nyambe for one slotted straight into the team no problem. Same for Joe Ledley a few years back iirc.