Where do you think we'll finish this season?

2 hours ago, ap04 said:

No because they didn't deserve to finish anywhere near fourth (quite similar to this season)

2022-23-l1.png?w=860&h=947

You seem to be obsessed with the word “deserved”. 

Did they not “deserve” to finish fourth simply because they got the fourth most points? If that’s not enough, they also won the fourth most number of games and scored the fourth most number of goals.

2 hours ago, ap04 said:

No because they didn't deserve to finish anywhere near fourth (quite similar to this season)

2022-23-l1.png?w=860&h=947

You know that once something like a football season is finished the league table is final and recorded in history as something that ACTUALLY happened right? Barnsley finished 4th, because they accumulated the 4th highest amount of points in the league;

IMG_1896.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Did they not “deserve” to finish fourth simply because they got the fourth most points? If that’s not enough, they also won the fourth most number of games and scored the fourth most number of goals.

That does seem quite Fourthsy, to be fair!  🤣

3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Portsmouth aren't running away with it and I don't quite get the point you are making about them finishing 8th last season.

Portsmouth do seem to be running away with the league to me. Their total with 10 games to go will already be enough for the playoffs. If they maintain their season-long form, they will finish on 97.1 points. By contrast their closest challengers, Bolton, are looking at 90.7 points. They've only lost 4 games all season - we've lost 9! Barnsley are next closest to them on that stat, losing 6 matches.

1 hour ago, McArthur Park said:

I can't get my head round this, so you're saying they didn't deserve to finish 4th because they scored more goals than you were expecting?

Of course, goals are only a quarter of the big moments in a game or a season. That's the same effect as looking at 10 games out of a 40-game season and calling it more fair or representative. But you are free to do so if you wish!

28 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Portsmouth do seem to be running away with the league to me. Their total with 10 games to go will already be enough for the playoffs. If they maintain their season-long form, they will finish on 97.1 points. By contrast their closest challengers, Bolton, are looking at 90.7 points. They've only lost 4 games all season - we've lost 9! Barnsley are next closest to them on that stat, losing 6 matches.

Lots of ifs and buts, but if Bolton win their game in hand or Barnsley win their two games in hand they will only be 4 points behind Portsmouth with 10 games remaining. I personally wouldn’t consider that as running away with it.

They have the advantage but not running away with it.

Edited by Tamworthram

Pre Barnsley someone posted the respective run ins and I thought this is looking great for automatic. 

Ok 2 defeats in 3 isn't great but I still think we've got as much chance as Bolton or Barnsley of 2nd and if forced to choose I'd say with us getting some strikers fit and CBT coming into the team we are maybe very slight favourites of those 3.    Nyambe is potentially a huge loss though. 

I would say from watching the games, I don't think the standard is any worse or better than last season. Ipswich were clearly a very good last season. who had a month where they couldn't stop shooting themselves in the foot, but Sheff Wed weren't a great team and managed to get near on 100 pts. 

Ultimately, though, I think the top end is weaker this season than last and that's compounded by ourselves being in the top echelons of the division despite being, at our very best, extremely underwhelming. I find it hard to believe based on what I've seen of us this season that we will finish in the top two - the eye test just doesn't add up. Bolton and Portsmouth are the best two teams in the league and you would anticipate they're the ones who finish in the top two. 

13 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

May the 4th be with you 🖖

I was going to say that Portsmouth have wobbled but won't drop enough points to finish below 1st, but they still have to play Derby, Peterborough, Barnsley, Bolton, Blackpool, and Wigan. Bolton have a terrible run-in too. Barnsley's form should see them go up, and they have some easy ones on paper - Lincoln (h), Carlisle (a), Cheltenham (h) in a row could see them put a run together before they play Pompey. They finish with Charlton, Stevenage, Reading, so could tail off. But then Cheltenham are in v. good form and Peterborough are on the slide...

In conclusion, who the eff knows.

I think we'll finish 2nd and this will be the weirdest, least convincing promotion in history.

Who do we want to win in the Barnsley v Bolton game ? I would rather play Bolton at Wembley in a play-off final , than Barnsley . Who seem to get up to the Championship in a “Weak Season” just like Rotherham . Both of them are Yo-Yo teams and are happy to be so. 

20 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Who do we want to win in the Barnsley v Bolton game ? I would rather play Bolton at Wembley in a play-off final , than Barnsley . Who seem to get up to the Championship in a “Weak Season” just like Rotherham . Both of them are Yo-Yo teams and are happy to be so. 

I’m hoping they draw, with 2 key players from both sides sent off for violent conduct meaning 3 game bans, and a further key player each injured within the dying seconds of the game so the match isn’t abandoned but it leaves both sides severely weakened for the run-in….

Thats bad of me isn’t it? 

15 hours ago, ap04 said:

Of course, goals are only a quarter of the big moments in a game or a season. That's the same effect as looking at 10 games out of a 40-game season and calling it more fair or representative. But you are free to do so if you wish!

Apart from points (which, of course, at the end of the season is the most important element) what are the other two quarters?

I can’t help but think you’re confusing “expected” (as in expected goals) with “deserved”. As I understand it, a penalty kick has a fairly high xg rating (something like 0.79) but, if the penalty taker puts it wide then he didn’t deserve to score - he missed the target from a good goal scoring opportunity. 🤷🏻