Reading v Derby match day thread.

Boycie

28 minutes ago, SSD said:

I don't like Warne football as much as the next pessimistic supporter. His objective was promotion and we are still well in the race. Back to back wins and we'll be pulling away from the pack again. He just needs to stop this mini rot of bad performances and now poor results. I still believe we will be top 3, if the manager actually starts to rest his better players more often. We've got a lot of over 30s who are our star players, their game time needs to be managed far smarter than they are now.

My main concern, forget about how dire the football can be when it goes wrong, is he going to learn his lesson from last season and manage the fitness of the squad properly? Ultimately this killed our momentum and we left it too late at the end. Ironically, he had Collins sat on the bench 2nd half of last season and he refused to play him from the start when we really needed to give NML a break. Now we have completely burnt Collins out, burnt out NML and let a young striker out on loan, granted we should be bringing in a striker soon.

He thinks another player will be enough, I'd argue he needs 3 or 4 more for depth. A tight squad with an older average age needs help.

Is it tho? CBT said the 12-18 month plan so does that mean he has another year at getting promotion? I think warnes happy at playing the long game and keeping us in league 1 its crap! The football is crap and the resaults are starting to be crap again 

3 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

Maybe some of the new members can't remember the tough times and feel we have a god given right to be perfect every game. League 1 is tough because the teams get in your face. Everyone ups there game for Derby because they also see us as a big club. We currently are not a big club. 

Awaiting incoming from Nigel aged 9

Were you there last night? I was and I can tell you that Reading did not ‘get in our faces’. We had the freedom of the pitch for most of the first half but we played like we were trying to throw the game. Last nights result was nothing to do with how Reading played; they were garbage until they got the goal. At half time my friend and I were laughing about how poor we had been but thought that Warne would see that and change things. Imagine our surprise when he sent the same 11 back out with no change in tactics. The mark of a decent coach is that they can identify the issues and changes things accordingly; that we didn’t speaks volumes about Warne and his abilities. 

8 hours ago, Crewton said:

....and yet here we are, still 3 points off top with a third of the season remaining, averaging a smidgen under 2 points per game........

nursie-blackadder.gif.57abac0ee4c7aefbbe40d588b4af25bd.gif

I couldnt care how many points we are off top 2! We are play sh!t teams we should be beating them you could get any manager in and we would be here minium. I just want us to play a style of football so it enjoyable 

41 minutes ago, Crewton said:

tumblr_mbjik4kJFg1rnkoezo2_400.gif

Thing is even when we were winning i said we were sh!t, warne only knows how to grind out wins, i think theres a hand full of games this season i have said we were good today! Unlike most where its perfectly fine to play poor and win but when we play poor and lose everyone agrees 

1 hour ago, SSD said:

I don't like Warne football as much as the next pessimistic supporter. His objective was promotion and we are still well in the race. Back to back wins and we'll be pulling away from the pack again. He just needs to stop this mini rot of bad performances and now poor results. I still believe we will be top 3, if the manager actually starts to rest his better players more often. We've got a lot of over 30s who are our star players, their game time needs to be managed far smarter than they are now.

My main concern, forget about how dire the football can be when it goes wrong, is he going to learn his lesson from last season and manage the fitness of the squad properly? Ultimately this killed our momentum and we left it too late at the end. Ironically, he had Collins sat on the bench 2nd half of last season and he refused to play him from the start when we really needed to give NML a break. Now we have completely burnt Collins out, burnt out NML and let a young striker out on loan, granted we should be bringing in a striker soon.

He thinks another player will be enough, I'd argue he needs 3 or 4 more for depth. A tight squad with an older average age needs help.

This is it for me. It's not about the football. We've lost two in 14. Yes last night was really poor. But I agree with what you say he has to manage the squad.

In fairness to Warne he's been really unlucky in the respect that Thompson and Smith have been injured and in the last couple of games Fornah has been ill. So he's not really been able to change the midfield. Also he's had not choice but to play Wilson at right back, which I doubt he wants to do. Couple that with injuries to Waghorn and Washington and the only back up striker being John-Jules has meant he's not been able to rotate up front either. Same with the wingers. NML and Barkhuizen are the only ones now Wilson is having to play at RB. So in fairness to Warne the ability to freshen the team up hasn't been there in the last few games.

As these players start to come back he should seriously looking at resting players. For a start on Saturday I'd have both Hourihane and Mendez-Laing on the bench. 

Also, sorry Ryan. But I hope you lot get beat tonight cos we need you back.

Team for Saturday:-

Wildsmith

Nyambe Nelson Cashin Elder

Fornah

Bird.   Thompson 

Wilson      Collins    Blackett-Taylor

If that team can't heat Cheltenham at home then they are in bother. 

In 2-3 weeks time we should have a new striker, Waghorn, Washington and Smith back. So we'll have options to rotate.

I appreciate Warne get's a lot of stick... and at times like this it's difficult to argue against... But there's a particular trait I like... have always liked... in a player.  And that's passion!

Not for the shirt, per sé.  Not for the badge specifically.  But for their craft.

There's a distinct lack of that right now, and it seemed to be massively magnified last night.

Masses of mistakes last night, and yet I don't recall one single hint of a player reacting in a frustrated "must do better" kind of way.  No kicking hoardings.  No thumping the ground.  No heavenwards screaming out in frustration.  No bollockings from team mates.  No fist pumping encouragement.
Even young Cashin was doing this a few weeks back... and it was truly wonderful to witness... but that seems to have gone now (And no, I'm not singling him out intentionally.  No effing way!)  

All we got last night was meek acknowledgements of apology.  Lots of stooped shoulders! A half-raised hand of patheticism. (*Looks like I just made that word up, but it's staying in!  Fuckem!) 

If I was the cynical sort (I'm not!), I'd be wondering if they actually cared!

Now... I hasten to add... My support of DCFC is currently going through a similar phase.  I can laugh it off.  I can shrug my shoulders.  I can slouch back in my NE Corner seat and not bother singing.  (I won't boo, but my silence alone should be deafening to the players!)  I can almost appear to those that don't know me as though I don't care.  That's not the case, but I certainly don't care as much nowadays as I have done in the past.  Of course I've lost SOME of my passion.  But that comes with age.  That comes with having "Been there before... numerous times".  In essence, I've "got an excuse".

These players don't have that excuse.  They are the now.  They are as close to being in their prime as they're likely to be.  They should care.  They ought to care.  They should be taking pride in their craft.  They should feel the passion.

They ain't clocking in at Royces at 07:40 every morning, to stare at the same old computerised CNC milling machine hour after hour.  They ain't driving the same old dirty bus around the same old dirty streets of Derby day in, day out.  They ain't staring at spreadsheets shift after shift.  Those guys and gals are (arguably) entitled to "plod on".

These guys are craftsmen.  They are entertainers.  They are professional athletes. They have either been gifted with a talent, or indeed they have worked bloody hard to hone themselves that talent. 
So where is their pride?  Where is their passion?  Why are they letting their peers down?  Why are they letting the supporters down?  Why are they LETTING THEMSELVES DOWN? WTF does it look like they don't care?

I just can't get my head around that.

2 hours ago, SK47 said:

Warne does not have involvement in them making simple passes.. countless times the pass wasn't strong enough or aimlessly passing straight to the opposition, no composure or controll, you can criticise the formation and style of play, but last night and Saturday was a whole lot of basic errors that you see U10's making. I don't know if there's 1 or 2 that are looking for moves or are unsettled, but this isn't the same team as it was 2 weeks ago.

Shocking display all round.

Some simple passes going astray are from the passer expecting the wide player to continue his run down the line. Others are from being caught under pressure. Both of these are a direct result from alack of coaching those aspects of play

8 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I appreciate Warne get's a lot of stick... and at times like this it's difficult to argue against... But there's a particular trait I like... have always liked... in a player.  And that's passion!

Not for the shirt, per sé.  Not for the badge specifically.  But for their craft.

There's a distinct lack of that right now, and it seemed to be massively magnified last night.

Masses of mistakes last night, and yet I don't recall one single hint of a player reacting in a frustrated "must do better" kind of way.  No kicking hoardings.  No thumping the ground.  No heavenwards screaming out in frustration.  No bollockings from team mates.  No fist pumping encouragement.
Even young Cashin was doing this a few weeks back... and it was truly wonderful to witness... but that seems to have gone now (And no, I'm not singling him out intentionally.  No effing way!)  

All we got last night was meek acknowledgements of apology.  Lots of stooped shoulders! A half-raised hand of patheticism. (*Looks like I just made that word up, but it's staying in!  Fuckem!) 

If I was the cynical sort (I'm not!), I'd be wondering if they actually cared!

Now... I hasten to add... My support of DCFC is currently going through a similar phase.  I can laugh it off.  I can shrug my shoulders.  I can slouch back in my NE Corner seat and not bother singing.  (I won't boo, but my silence alone should be deafening to the players!)  I can almost appear to those that don't know me as though I don't care.  That's not the case, but I certainly don't care as much nowadays as I have done in the past.  Of course I've lost SOME of my passion.  But that comes with age.  That comes with having "Been there before... numerous times".  In essence, I've "got an excuse".

These players don't have that excuse.  They are the now.  They are as close to being in their prime as they're likely to be.  They should care.  They ought to care.  They should be taking pride in their craft.  They should feel the passion.

They ain't clocking in at Royces at 07:40 every morning, to stare at the same old computerised CNC milling machine hour after hour.  They ain't driving the same old dirty bus around the same old dirty streets of Derby day in, day out.  They ain't staring at spreadsheets shift after shift.  Those guys and gals are (arguably) entitled to "plod on".

These guys are craftsmen.  They are entertainers.  They are professional athletes. They have either been gifted with a talent, or indeed they have worked bloody hard to hone themselves that talent. 
So where is their pride?  Where is their passion?  Why are they letting their peers down?  Why are they letting the supporters down?  Why are they LETTING THEMSELVES DOWN? WTF does it look like they don't care?

Wins my post of the day………………….and it’s only 9.30 in the morning! 👍🐏

1 hour ago, SSD said:

Isn't this sort of comment exactly what was said last season?

15 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

...These guys are craftsmen.  They are entertainers.  They are professional athletes. They have either been gifted with a talent, or indeed they have worked bloody hard to hone themselves that talent. 

I know you're a creative writer, I'm your editor. I've bought you a new pen, some lovely ink and expensive paper. Go on write a best seller. What do you mean you're being asked to write left-handed with one hand behind your back (the one you actually write with!). Get on with it, write! All the tools you need are there, pick up the pan and write! Don't you care or what?!

Edited by RoyMac5

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

I know you're a creative writer, I'm your editor. I've bought you a new pen, some lovely ink and expensive paper. Go on write a best seller. What do you mean you're being asked to write left-handed with one hand behind your back (the one you actually write with!). Get on with it, write! All the tools you need are there, pick up the pan and write! Don't you care or what?!

Interesting you mention creative writing as the rest of your comment here is pure fiction...

Good players will not misplace simple passes, regardless of the tactics imposed by the manager. See mistakes last night. Don't use reductionism to absolve the players themselves of any wrongdoing, that's daft. 

1 minute ago, YorkshireRam said:

Interesting you mention creative writing as the rest of your comment here is pure fiction...

Good players will not misplace simple passes, regardless of the tactics imposed by the manager. See mistakes last night. Don't use reductionism to absolve the players themselves of any wrongdoing, that's daft. 

Really? Have you watched football games were there are no misplaced passes? And the point was maximise your players potentials and untie their hands!

Edited by RoyMac5

7 hours ago, one_chop said:

I don't go into work dressed as Ali G with headphones on singing songs littered with obscenities so why should footballers ? It's their place of work. No discipline off the pitch nor on it by the looks of tonight.

Is this a parody account? I don't know if I've encountered such powerful Boomer energy...

For how terrible we were, I thought Reading were decent last night, god knows how they are bottom 3.  If they keep that core team together and no fire sales i think they will stay up.  Imagine they will be a force next season if rumoured Mike Ashley or GymShark buys them and some shrewd transfer business.

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Really? Have you watched football games were there are no misplaced passes? And the point was maximise your players potentials and untie their hands!

Simple passes, yes. 5 yard passes should rarely go awry from professional footballers.

The danger of just short-sightedly blaming Warne for all our failings is you remove accountability from underperforming players. It's always a combination of factors, never just one. 

Can you explain how Warne is ''tying our players hands behind their backs''? I don't really understand what he's supposed to be doing that restricts our players to such a degree they then fail to do the basics of the game successfully? 

3 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Simple passes, yes. 5 yard passes should rarely go awry from professional footballers.

The danger of just short-sightedly blaming Warne for all our failings is you remove accountability from underperforming players. It's always a combination of factors, never just one. 

Can you explain how Warne is ''tying our players hands behind their backs''? I don't really understand what he's supposed to be doing that restricts our players to such a degree they then fail to do the basics of the game successfully? 

Fine. You don't get that our players have looked worse and worse as Warne's tenure goes on.

Lets get a new squad of Warne players - we were on our way to 3 at the back earlier in the season. 

Edited by RoyMac5

38 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Some simple passes going astray are from the passer expecting the wide player to continue his run down the line. Others are from being caught under pressure. Both of these are a direct result from alack of coaching those aspects of play

Sorry mate but that's absolutely ridiculous. You can blame Warne for certain things but players not being able to play simple passes is not on him.

Hourihane last night had two where all he needs to do is slip Wilson in down the right and he's in acres and passed both out of play. 

Players have to take a certain amount of responsibility also. The quality of balls in and the final third were atrocious, so was the decision making.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Fine. You don't get that our players have looked worse and worse as Warne's tenure goes on.

Lets get a new squad on Warne players - we were on our way to 3 at the back earlier in the season. 

So you can't answer my question?