Reading v Derby match day thread.

Boycie

1 minute ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Is our fitness fading? A few weeks ago many comments indicate that we seemed fitter than last season, better pressing, outlasting the opposition as evidenced by the number of late goals we were scoring.

No press this evening. Didn't outlast Reading who honestly looked more likely to get a 2nd than we did to equalise. No efforts on target, never mind 0 goals.....

I think we need a fitness coach

35 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

That's up there with the most angry I've been this season.

The fact we could have gone top and have gone to a team in the bottom 3 and not even mustered a shot on target is a shambles really.

Elder was the only one to come out with any credit.

Nelson and Cashin were ok. Cashin gave the ball away too many times though.

Bird and Hourihane were a joke. Half hearted tackles. No control. Offered absolutely nothing. We are crying out for a midfielder who can break up play, put his foot on the ball and dictate play. That midfield is all over the place.

Collins was offside at almost every opportunity. Even when the ball didn't go to him. He's offside. 

Sibley and Ward came on and did absolutely nothing again.

TJJ looks like he's done. No great loss at all.

We still need 3 players in for me.

other than a top wage for the rest of the season,stupid gamble given that he hasn't shown any reason on the pitch to warrant keeping him

31 minutes ago, one_chop said:

I wouldn't put too much of the blame on Warne at the moment, most of that starting 11 are guaranteed to start regardless of their form and they know it. They get off the team bus in tracksuits and and other ridiculous looking attire wearing headphones listening to bloody rap music, thinking they are big time Charlie's.

Brian Clough wouldn't have stood for it, get a shave a decent hair cut and show some bloody respect to the paying public.

LoL you quite literally know that’s exactly how ANY other team gets off a bus as well?

Just now, TINMANTED said:

other than a top wage for the rest of the season,stupid gamble given that he hasn't shown any reason on the pitch to warrant keeping him

Silly receuitment. One league goal at Port Vale (lucky strike for me) and we wanted him for the whole season.

Genuinely struggle to see what he is. So yep - probably £100-150k wasted on him now.

11 minutes ago, BuckoBeast said:

It’s a shame we can’t afford to sack Warne. Totally clueless. I get some blame has to go towards the players but bringing on a CB and RWB is comical when you need a goal. Our midfield is anonymous. Yes Conor scores the odd screamer, what does Bird do, what does Sibley do, what does Thommo do other than try a bit harder and run around a bit more. It’s horrible 

Harsh on Thompson, I thought he was good tonight. Obvious energy in stark contrast to his midfield colleagues, wanted to get on the ball & looked to move forward/pass forward. He & Elder were the standouts for me and I'm really not sure why he was taken off before Hourihane.

As a general point, really disappointed by the attitude to tonight's game. We looked pedestrian without the ball & sloppy with it - I get that teams have off games but there was a real lack of urgency given the prize of being top tonight. I wanted to see players demanding improvements of each other & launching into challenges, particularly when it was apparent the ref had no interest in penalising anything short of ABH. It felt listless throughout & Reading deserved their win.

The most concerning area for me is still that midfield. Thompson did improve things at the top end but we simply can not afford to have Bird & Hourihane in tandem further back. Either Fornah or Robinson need to come in & improve the energy in that area - its too passive and slow currently. 

42 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

We need humbling. 

In matches like this before the run e.g. Port Vale it was a poor match that we nicked because we did the basics right and made sure we wasn’t going to give a goal away. 

Too many times since the turn of the year we’ve turned up in 2nd gear thinking that we’ll score eventually and either we’ve drawn or lost. 

Seems like NML has ran out of bunnies from his magicians hat so we’ve gone back to being toothless.

Heck. Haven't the last two games been humbling enough for you? How much more pain do you think we need to suffer? A heavy defeat? Losing at home to Cheltenham? I'm not sure I can take it.😀

I think the real test for Warne now is that he needs to start getting performances from Sibley, Ward, Fornah and a few others that you’d deem to be on the edges of the first team. 

Warne has done a great job in the first half of being able to have one or two players who for a few games together are in form before they are marked out of games or get an injury etc. NML and Collins had done it just before this slump, Waghorn did it early season, Hourihane and Bird had there moments, Barkhuizen, Smith arguably to. But these fringe players need to step up now and provide a different option from th bench and force themselves into the first team. Especially someone for that no. 10 role as no one seems to want it

I know he didnt sign them all but when PW talks about needing to sign players with the right character - what does he mean exactly? As it doesnt seem to be strength and a winning mentality.

I am just so fed up. There are just so many depressing questions about tonight, I dont know where to start really but as a starter what is going on with Wildsmith? 

TJJ…: always a big BIG gamble to keep him on with all the injuries….

but here we go again….  He’s a true sick note. Feel for him…. But it’s a fact.

Our strikers costing a lot in wages this season but all of them bar Collins in the long-term sick room…

sigh…

A bottom 6 type of performance tonight. I, along with others call for more play through our midfield. At the same time our midfield is slated. As Warne said in his interview tonight, he didn’t want players to take more than two touches in midfield. So the ball either goes back or fired down the channel. I blame Warne and his coaching staff for not training patterns of play that utilise the midfield (I think he said it was complicated in one of his earlier interviews). He’s made the likes of Bird, a talented player look v ordinary at times 

Finally caught up. 0350 alarm but had to read up. Needed to know I’m not alone. 
This has hit my confidence in this team big time. Find myself agreeing with many a few short weeks ago I’d have disagreed with. 
Defeat on Sat……. I may even predict it. Goodnight Rams. Try to get some sleep! 

Edited by SKRam
Strange edit

2 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

But these fringe players need to step up now and provide a different option from th bench and force themselves into the first team. Especially someone for that no. 10 role as no one seems to want it

It's NMLs isn't it? Or Barks? Or...perhaps there isn't a no10 role? How we finished the game tonight is how Warne would have set us up. Although he played TJJ out wide, were else? The options from the bench don't fit what Warne wants, that's why we signed another wide player. What's the point of playing through the middle, he didn't want to tonight did he?