Derby V Burton match day thread

Boycie

3 minutes ago, sage said:

Some thoughts from watching the highlights. For their first goal it's a clear foul on NML and the shot is deflected off Nelson who should have been a yard nearer.

Their second was a hell of a pass from Seddon, like a bullet and took a poorly positioned Elder out of the game, slip or not.

I was irritated by RD last night lavishing praise on Burton saying we were lucky. We've had 5 or 6 chances better than anything they created beyond the goals. Even in the second half, we've still created the better chances.

John-Jules was ok for 40-50 minutes which is all he has in him. Created the early NML chance then won the ball for our first goal.

He needs to build strength and fitness and I think Warne left him on too long last night 

Think it was right to see how long he had in him. He’ll be wanting to play full matches and there’s only so far 50-60 minutes can take you. 

As long as he picks up no knocks he’ll be  better for pushing himself in terms of minutes last night. 

8 hours ago, DerbyRevolution said:

agree with the post that you replied to, an absolute passenger all night. players were getting past people or getting the ball out of their feet under pressure, giving it to Bird in hope of a bit of reprieve and he just gave it them straight back. cant remember once where he turned and ran or looked for a forward pass, just gave it back to where it came from all night 

Like I said, funny how many of us see the game differently and that’s just football. You agree with the original post but I disagreed as have a few others. 🤷🏻‍♂️

The midfield balance has been a problem for some time, perhaps arguably stretching back to 2015.

The trouble we have at the moment is not a shortage of midfield players, but it’s a question of readiness. We have four young players (Thompson, Fornah, Robinson, Fapetu) who are not yet ready to play week in, week out and reliably contribute to a winning team chasing promotion.

To usurp either Bird or Hourihane from the team, we will need to spend a significant amount on a very highly rated player, unless our scouting goes up a few levels.

Gambling on a cheaper option like we did with Fornah or taking a loan like Embleton tends to resolve some issues but creates new ones of their own. Fornah and inconsistency, Embleton and injury problems, for example.

I think Warne goes with Bird and Hourihane because they have earned his trust and even though they don’t always control midfield, they both have a moment of quality in their locker that can change a game as we saw last night.

I don’t think there’s much room for manoeuvre until we either get promoted or have the financial flexibility to spend more or scout better.

Burton had 2 shots on goal and scored twice. Both were bad mistakes. NML lost possession in a dangerous area and their lad scores when 9 times out of 10 he probably wouldn't and as for the second, what on earth was Elder doing? He had a terrible game and made a complete mess of marking the last man. Having said that the ball out from the back was inch perfect for their sub to run onto. Again doubt that pass would be that good at this level 9 times out of 10. 

Edited by The Scarlet Pimpernel

1 hour ago, Rampant said:

Early morning thoughts from me.....

1. That's W9 D1 L1 in the last 11 league games. We'd all like to see us playing like the Brazil '70 team but we're in league one and still recovering from the Mel Morris induced meltdown. We're doing okay.

2. We need to play with three in the middle which would be Thompson, Bird and Hourihane for me. 

3. TJJ's best asset is his first touch in the box and ability to get a shot away. He's not as effective out wide or playing deeper. Collins deserves to start up top given his run of goals but TJJ should either directly replace him as a sub or play alongside him up top and central with a view to getting him in the box as often as possible.

4. Vickers isn't overly convincing but he can be forgiven for not being at 100% in all areas given the personal upheaval he's experienced recently. None of us would be immune from a dip in performance levels in his boots. 

6. What happened to number 5?

5. It's early morning Rampant, relax. I'm here.

7. What's the deal with Fozzy? Injured?

W10, D1 and L1 over the last 12 isn’t it? Which is even better.

Agree on Vickers and yes, Fozzy is injured.

45 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Pretty sure I commented during the match saying Bird was quietly having an effective game. 
There were a couple of occasions first half were a misplaced pass or sloppy touch gifted Burton a chance to counter and Bird showed the awareness and athleticism to get back and snuff out the danger. There were also some points he picked the ball up in midfield and drove at their defence, he hesitated with one when Barkhuizen was free in the right side channel and by the time he made his mind up the defence had found their shape BUT the second time he did it he played the pass to Barkhuizen on the left of their area and Bark’s touch let him down. 
I’d like Bird to take games by the scruff of the neck as he’s capable of doing, but the way we play doesn’t lend itself to that, so he does his role a solid 7 most weeks in my opinion, doing the simple work that allows others to go and get the glory. 

That’s pretty much how I’d describe him.  I watched him quite a bit last night and thought he moved well, always available to receive the ball, kept it simple but could have taken a few more risks occasionally.  As you say, quietly effective.

Not read much of the thread but that was an important win. Complete control first half but two mistakes by ML and Elder gave them their only chances which they took well. 
Thought JJ and Collins worked hard but it is hard for any no10 in this team as the ball is so rarely played to feet in a central position. There were so many times JJ was wanting it to feet but it just went out wide. Hope we get his loan extended. Barks took his goal well but is frustrating and a little lightweight at times, but he is starting to get in and around the box more. 
Elder was a concern, caught out for their equaliser and misplacing passes everywhere, was pleased when Sibley replaced him. Sibley is a better option at RB when Fozzy is out. MoM for me was Wilson, defended well and caused them problems all night. 
Needed to get Tommo and Sibley on earlier for fresh legs and energy but phew we got there 🐏.

39 minutes ago, littleover ram said:

Days of passing out from the back are gone…. Vickers put his foot through everything 

39 minutes ago, littleover ram said:

Days of passing out from the back are gone…. Vickers put his foot through everything 

Not so

26 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

W10, D1 and L1 over the last 12 isn’t it? Which is even better.

Agree on Vickers and yes, Fozzy is injured.

31 points out of the last 36 available, that’s not too shabby is it? 

Last night isn’t the first time on this run that one or two of Warne’s limitations have been a concern, and inevitably there’s then the expression of frustrations (some understandable, some over the top in my opinion) in the match thread. But it’s also not the first time in this run that I’ve preached patience in the match thread during those moments, as this squad has shown a couple of Warne’s strengths too. They are seemingly fitter this season and can keep going physically, and there does appear to be a togetherness and determination in the group that keeps them going mentally, add in that little bit of extra quality compared to other teams and I rarely feel like we don’t have a chance in games….they just put us through the wringer a bit first 🤣 

7 hours ago, Eddie said:

It's funny how different people see performances differently.

My dad always thought that McGovern was rubbish.

Funny old game! Brian Clough obviously thought John McGovern did a good job for he managed him at 4 clubs, Hartlepool, Derby, Leeds and Nott's Forest, and John won 3 league titles and 2 european cups, not bad return for a rubbish player, in those days you were only allowed 1 sub, so no passengers were carried, what days they were.

5 minutes ago, eddielewis said:

I thought last nights performance was kind of indicative of Paul Warne. Tactically and game management wise there are things that he gets away with in league 1 that I think should/hope/if/pray we get promoted this year he would not get away with in the championship.

Would love to be in a position to care what he will or won't get away with in the Championship.

A deserved win and a decent game of football to watch.

Don't agree with the comments that Burton deserved a point. They had two chances in the entire game (both of which were gifts from us) and, besides a 15-minute spell where we sh*t the bed, we were in complete control. Replay that game again and, 9 times out of 10, that's a 3 or 4 nil win.

Wilson MOTM for me - absolute star. Can't wait to see him, NML, and CBT on the pitch at the same time.

Managed to gather my thoughts on last nights performance,i though we played ok to be fair given that the pitch is not allowing that perfect quick pass we all like to see.

However to gift a two goal lead away in this league is criminal although by the skin of our teeth managed to get the late winner

As for the players i think Elder should never grace our field again he is truly shocking and i am not sure what Warne sees in Vickers in front of Wildsmith in goal although both goals last night was not of Vickers doing,we look a more calm side at the back with Wildsmith in goal

Onwards and upwards but i would like to see a couple of  additions this month i do think we need to freshen our team up a tad

55 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

The midfield balance has been a problem for some time, perhaps arguably stretching back to 2015.

The trouble we have at the moment is not a shortage of midfield players, but it’s a question of readiness. We have four young players (Thompson, Fornah, Robinson, Fapetu) who are not yet ready to play week in, week out and reliably contribute to a winning team chasing promotion.

To usurp either Bird or Hourihane from the team, we will need to spend a significant amount on a very highly rated player, unless our scouting goes up a few levels.

Gambling on a cheaper option like we did with Fornah or taking a loan like Embleton tends to resolve some issues but creates new ones of their own. Fornah and inconsistency, Embleton and injury problems, for example.

I think Warne goes with Bird and Hourihane because they have earned his trust and even though they don’t always control midfield, they both have a moment of quality in their locker that can change a game as we saw last night.

I don’t think there’s much room for manoeuvre until we either get promoted or have the financial flexibility to spend more or scout better.

First 60 minutes they controlled the game pretty well. It was inevitable burton would come into when 2 nil down and we started to get overrun. This is where we should have added a third midfielder on to get the game by the scruff of the neck. Tjj should have come off for Thompson about that time and made up the 3 in midfield. We need a dominant type to command in the middle. 

some posters on here need to realise we can’t play like Man City or Barcelona every week. A game goes on for 98 minutes. Look at the man united team under fergie it was stated all the time that a successful team wins when not at their best. That man united teams always found a way to win when not at there best and largely as the famous fergie time. I see trates In this team that will get promoted we just need to add a sprinkle of magic in 3 players to see it over the line 

Edited by Barney1991

50 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Burton had 2 shots on goal and scored twice. Both were bad mistakes. NML lost possession in a dangerous area and their lad scores when 9 times out of 10 he probably wouldn't and as for the second, what on earth was Elder doing? He had a terrible game and made a complete mess of marking the last man. Having said that the ball out from the back was inch perfect for their sub to run onto. Again doubt that pass would be that good at this level 9 times out of 10. 

Before the mistake I thought elder was having a good game tbh. The cross was delightful for the second I just wanted to see him carry the ball a bit more but like with everything it doesn’t matter if he was good for that period the mistake will live long in the memory because of how bad it was and costly 

10 hours ago, Ram-Alf said:

1st off I don't think the ref was as bad as some thought, He let play go on where in the EPL you'd get a free kicks nothing major in his handling of the game.

As for the game...at 2-0 game done and dusted I got the impression the players also thought that, But another challenge went unpunished and they score, A breakaway and a slip put Hugil in and it's now 2-2, One of the best defences against one of the worst attacks...this is the DCFC we have got to know.

NML could have scored in the 1st half when shooting...rebound to Barks who misses, Collins miss cues at 2-2 when on another day it gets smashed into the net, At 3-2 NML clean through and miss controls the ball, So on another day 4 or 5 goals and we're storming the league, It was a little messy at 2-2 not awful messy...we never rushed or panicked just that the ball wouldn't fall for us.

We won, We got the 3 points we move onto Lincoln, No histrionics from me...only we have to show more composure when defending.

I'll sleep well...goodnight and sleep tight all 👍 

Point well made, we have just been failing to get that "rub off the green" in a number of games, but still managing to get the points.

I had this feeling for a while that once all the runes fall the right way, somebody is gonna get a right hammering from us.

Hope its Lincoln   🦍

5 minutes ago, ramboy63 said:

Managed to gather my thoughts on last nights performance,i though we played ok to be fair given that the pitch is not allowing that perfect quick pass we all like to see.

However to gift a two goal lead away in this league is criminal although by the skin of our teeth managed to get the late winner

As for the players i think Elder should never grace our field again he is truly shocking and i am not sure what Warne sees in Vickers in front of Wildsmith in goal although both goals last night was not of Vickers doing,we look a more calm side at the back with Wildsmith in goal

Onwards and upwards but i would like to see a couple of  additions this month i do think we need to freshen our team up a tad

I’m really not keen on these “never wear the Derby shirt again” type comments. I’d be nervous the next time he’s picked at right back but it wouldn’t be the first time a player has had a shaky start to his career at Derby (or any club come to think of it) but then gone on to perform well. He was good going forward but there were some serious flaws in his defensive performance last night that need to be eliminated (or at least reduced significantly -no player is perfect) pretty damn quickly.

Anyone know what the chants of "pedo" and "she said no" from Burton fans were? Seemed to be aimed at Cashin. My brother pointed out that they did this last year too. Obviously nothing in the official public domain, just some local rumour? 

Sorry to introduce such an unpleasant topic but it is really bugging us.

Edited by Andrew3000