Bradford City at home Match Thread

sage

7 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

They'll have been given signing fees, agents will have taken a cut and they're on decent wages for this level.

I know what he was referring to, I just disagree that anyone we signed was in any way "bargain basement". Still cost us plenty of money, despite no transfer fees being involved. That's ignoring Washington's undisclosed transfer agreement, and assuming that was a free.

I also just think it's funny to ask him for exact details, like he does with anyone who disagrees with his opinion.

As I said no details to give as its already been stated that no fees were paid in the summer.

Obviously I'm not aware of the information regarding signing fees, agents fees and wages that you appear to have available....

Just got home. That was fun. Absolutely freezing, terrible game and had my ears bombarded all night by a large number of young people who both a: seemed extraordinarily giddy about being outside and watching a football match b: seemed to know absolutely nothing about the game they were watching and c - seemed only able to shout incoherent drivel where one out of every three words was an obscenity (not that I’m prudish about swearing, you understand… I couldn’t give a f… it was the inane nature of it that was far more troubling. Just shouting for shouting’s sake - and not in a ‘there to support the team’ sort of way, just shouting. One young person seemed to be trying to impress his girlfriend but only succeeded in making himself look silly; sadly I doubt he had the personal insight to recognise this).

I might not have noticed this too much if the football had been in any way engaging but it wasn’t and so I can only reflect on the state of our young people and consider whether I was similarly stupid when I was their age.  I can only surmise that I probably was and that makes me sad.  It also makes me realise that I’m probably closer to death than I am to their age. Which also makes me sad. 

So, yeah, thanks Paul and Co. I’ve probably got pneumonia, have become a grumpy old man shaking my fists at the youth of today and am pondering my own mortality… all because you couldn’t string two passes together against Bradford f’ing City. 

Edited by LazloW

6 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Wasn't there talk at the time that our recruitment priortised out of contract players, because by avoiding fees we could afford higher wages and thus attract better players?

The OP used the term "bargain basement". There is no evidence they're cheap in the absolute sense as we don't know the wage commitments.

Which is literally my entire point, nobody knows any of the money involved to be able to call them bargain basement.

Goodnight all.

9 minutes ago, Returning ram said:

Not if he was offside, surely you agree with that, even if you think he was on.

If its clearly offside yes. In a situation like this though I'd prefer to see the ball in the back of the net and the linesman given a decision to make.

9 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

They'll have been given signing fees, agents will have taken a cut and they're on decent wages for this level.

I know what he was referring to, I just disagree that anyone we signed was in any way "bargain basement". Still cost us plenty of money, despite no transfer fees being involved. That's ignoring Washington's undisclosed transfer agreement, and assuming that was a free.

I also just think it's funny to ask him for exact details, like he does with anyone who disagrees with his opinion.

If we’d paid a transfer fee though there would still have been agents fees and the players signed would have been on a decent wage for this level. If you’re going to include these (and wages in particular) then there is no such thing as a free transfer. By not paying a transfer fee then we have effectively got them on the cheap. Sadly, it’s showing in some cases.

4 minutes ago, Kathcairns said:

Its their job, getting paid to play football,were you around in the cloughie years, couldnt see him thinking that. Not many people get to pick and choose when to do their job well

Different times and era Kath and yes I was...I'm not far off your age☺️Players are a different bread to what they were under BC, They hold all the cards, They do as they choose, Their contract says they get paid X amount of loot for their efforts....whether good or bad.

PS...I've changed my user name...guess who 😁

1 minute ago, WystonRam said:

I’m not bothered going out of the competition but that performance was 🐶 💩 

I know 80% of fans hated the EFL trophy.  But that is the 3rd cup competition we have gone out of at HOME. It won’t matter if we get automatic. Let’s not blame the young midfield that played the first half . The 2 nd half was much worse .

2 minutes ago, LazloW said:

extraordinarily giddy about being outside and watching a football match b: seemed to know absolutely nothing about the game they were watching and c - seemed only able to shout incoherent drivel where one out of every three words was an obscenity (not that I’m prudish about swearing, you understand… I couldn’t give a f… it was the inane nature of it that was far more troubling. Just shouting for shouting’s sake - and not in a ‘there to support the team’ sort of way

I knew I shouldn’t have let the mrs out. I’ll have the cage and padlock on standby for Monday night