Derby v Peterborough

B4’s Sister

It’s not the loss it’s the nature of their goals. They were such a good attacking side and yet we ballsed it up ourselves - how are we - the best defensive outfit in the league on current form conceding those goals? Piss poor and for once I’m not blaming Warne. Players have to be doing better in those situations. 

Stupid errors in the last few matches now. we can’t afford for them to become common place. 

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Agreed, it's not just about one player but we have a central midfield problem, we lack control and it's more evident in games like today against good sides. We need a better ball winner in there. A midfield of Bird and Hourihane doesn't really work for me.

Does Warne's plan for midfield include a ball winner though? We win it through pressing not an individual player focusing on that role.

People say we need a Eustace type player but again that's a role I'm not sure exists in his system?

Has Fornah not previously operated with some success playing in that sort of role? Why don't we use him as such? I think people hoping for a radical change in our midfield makeup may end up disappointed.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

1 hour ago, SKRam said:

Thommo and Sibs here we go! And Elder wow three at HT 

From the squad he picked, this was the right half-time option and the best Warne could have done. However...

17 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

Very very leggy today. Still over 20 games to go. We’ve played the top 6 teams the last 3 ganes and took 6 points I’ll take that. Just need to keep up with the pace until the end 

...this was the problem. Thommo survived his first game on adrenaline, and I understand Warne keeping him in the squad after his goal, but he had no legs today (and that's his main strength). Should have been a game for Fornah. It's clear Hourihane and Bird don't give us nearly enough as a midfield pair - far too one-paced.

9 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

Good tactical management to stop their threat in the first half. Praise was prepared for dishing out. Terrible game management once we went ahead and decided to play out the rest of the game as there away side, despite their defence not being up to much and a more positive approach likely to see us score another. 

Absolutely, the anywhere will do approach showed our heads had gone, after too many games in too short a space of time. Very, very poor. Wildsmith did well until the second goal. Cashin was immense, everywhere. Wilson came into the game well. Elder was a good sub on the left and made great blocks. Sibley made a difference in the middle. Great delivery to win the penalty, and he got our only corner by not being afraid to shoot, together with a fantastic block in our box, but sadly they equalized from the corner. Great performance from Collins - he can use his head after all. If John-Jules can play more minutes, he will still win us promotion - just oozes class and a desire to score.

We're not the finished article yet, and this was a game too far, with Warne not changing it when he probably should have. But the manager reacted well and decisively through the game - his players let him down.

Oh and where was the crowd? So little singing after the first equalizer, when the players really needed a lift. 

3 minutes ago, Hector was the best said:

They were miles better than us, but I thought we were going to steal the points, but could not believe the c***-up at the end.

They weren’t miles better than us. People on the forum are getting a bit ott likes it’s won on one game. Over the last 3 games we’ve took 6 points and posh 5. Add 3 to 4 players and with the experience we will be up there. I’d sell bird personally just doesn’t add enough all round in the midfield. I’d rather add a midfielder to the 3 who can notch up the goals, 

3 minutes ago, REDCAR said:

Joking aside, with the s*** on in my life the last thing I need is a curse right now 

Sorry to hear that mate and apologies if I sounded flippant. I hope things improve for you swiftly! 

1 minute ago, Ramarena said:

This is a pivotal point in our season. How we react to this defeat will be definitive I feel. 

We can still break into the autos if we can put another run together.

Not sure what some people are on with their knee jerk get rid of this or that player.

A draw today was pivotal for autos I think as the few teams above us will have the beating of every team.  That will be a huge boost to them. A very physical side like Stevenage could upset them but that's the same with all 4.  

Can't argue that the best team didn't win, just disappointing how we let in two very soft goals so close to the end. Tired legs and poor conditions against a nimble young team obviously played a part and too many players weren't quite at it. But if you'd offered me 9 points from these 4 games going into this period, I'd have taken it.

Important to bounce back against Fleetwood and ensure we end the month with a stronger, not weaker, squad.

2 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

Does Warne's plan for midfield include a ball winner though? We win it through pressing not an individual player focusing on that role.

People say we need a Eustace type player but again that's a role I'm not sure exists in his system?

Has Fornah not previously operated with some success playing in that sort of role? Why don't we use him as such? I think people hoping for a radical change in our midfield makeup may end up disappointed.

If it doesn't, I feel it should. Peterborough players were running 50-60 yards through the middle of the pitch at us. That can't be allowed to happen really, we need to have a backstop. 

We can press as a team but also have a ball winner in the middle, not suggesting they would be deployed exactly as Eustace was, but Hourihane and Bird is a little light weight/immobile.

4 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

The peno. 

Either it’s a peno and a red for he player putting his arm up in the air and handling the ball.

Or it’s freeekick to them for a foul on the player that handled it.

Or maybe a second yellow? I think it was a push on him mind you. I don’t think we can have any complaints. I think it shows we need a more mobile midfielder in the transfer window. We were leggy but basically outclassed today.