Derby v Lincoln City

B4’s Sister

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

You are either worthy or not,the table doesn't lie.

I'd rather it's was maclarenesque flowing football but I don't really give a s*** if we get promoted and warne has a proven track record of achieving it playing it his way over a season.

Without coming across like a “this like is s***” merchant… but it kinda is when it comes to free flowing performances. Quite often it’s about winning the physical battle, keeping errors as minimal as possible and getting your noses in front. Within games you’ll have good moments but full games are rare. We are a season and a half in and no team have really looked amazing  

2 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

Not sure that meshes, because surely they couldn't have a sustained attack without coming out.

People will point to the second goal as the turning point but what happened a minute or two before that was equally important - they'd worked the ball into a really good position to break on us, with men over, just one Derby player 'in the way' who would have been easily bypassed with a half decent pass, they'd have been in on goal with a very good chance of making it 2-1 and a tough game.

As it happened they contrived to kick it straight at the Derby player, completely eating the chance as pretty much every team do, the opportunity was lost and we scored the second and the game was effectively over.

This poster isn't reading from the script. He implies that some fortune was included in our win.

Burn him

Burn the non-believer 

17 minutes ago, sage said:

This poster isn't reading from the script. He implies that some fortune was included in our win.

Burn him

Burn the non-believer 

There is often some fortune included in most wins. I'm sure we could pick out multiple other turning points from both an attacking and defensive point of view. Not giving away a daft pen for example.

I thought the script from last night was we were the better team without playing really well and deserved to win. If a few things had gone the other way, we might not have won. 

A great result but most of it was one hell of a hard watch! I noticed the new "safe standing" rails are waist height, so should there be a shove from the back, fans are simply going to roll over the bar and drop headfirst into the row below. No crush injuries, just lots of concussion and broken  necks" That's progress for you! Apart from there not having been crowd surges since Pride park opened, so in the meantime, can the rails be fitted with cushioning to rest our heads or chins on during displays like the first half?

As ever we turned the ball over almost at will, and then had to watch and wait while Lincoln played their neat passing game, before we win it back, go from Nelson to Cashin, then eventually on to Fozzie, or occasionally from Cashin over to Ward, then give it away again. And apart from a couple of flashes, that was it - we had the interplay that resulted in Bird's shot being blocked, and then Fozzie's shot past the post. A lot of the negativity isn't necessarily that we aren't dominating entire matches, it is that we are putting up with a second rate style  of play when we can play a lot better. And it is down to how the team is being asked, nay told to play - out wide, cross it, in the hope that the ball will fall nicely for one of our strikers - this is paraphrasing Warne's own words. But it so rarely happens - we only scored last night because Hourihane took a pot shot at a loose ball, which had been  cleared by the defender. The only other real opportunities came from two passages of one-touch interplay. Almost as if the player said "Quick lads, Warne's looking away. Lets get a bit of football in!" And no, we aren't being forced wide by the opposition, it is Warne's chosen philosophy. Interesting that at half time the Lincoln subs were all there doing one-touch interplay while our subs were doing running and stretching exercises! Did our subs actually touch a ball during the break?

As many have observed, the match changed with the substitutions, Wilson because he is a footballer who can magic the ball away from opponents without a second thought - I love having him in the side! And Sibley, not simply because he runs with the ball at defenders, but last night he was running into space and making himself available, and in so doing he was dragging defenders around, making room for other team mates. 

And very quickly we were ahead, as a direct result of a bit of  creativity. It was a short corner, but not the usual short corner - NML quickly curled the ball in with his right foot and Wilson got himself off the mark. And no, it wasn't a lucky goal, he meant the ball to loop over the keeper like it did. Great goal!

From then it was game over. Lincoln had got the point they had come for, and settled down to see the game out, only to have that point taken away from them, and having slowed things down, it is very difficult to up the tempo again, and their heads were gone! Our 3rd goal was genius from Wilson. once more he turned and went back up the field, signalling with his hand for someone to pass to, only to double back and slip a beautiful through ball, and Collins couldn't miss. A superb goal. It was a comfortable win in the end, but only because of the passages when we actually played football, instead of "wide and cross" ad nausea.

The ref was pretty good overall, but missed three worrying incidents - Collins got an elbow to the head, which was payback for him clattering a Lincoln player over by the touchline, for which I thought he should have been booked. But JJ also got an elbow to the head a few minutes earlier, without having done anything to get payback for. And the ref did nothing about either. But never mind, his few shortcomings were nothing to worry about compared with Welch's performance last Saturday. And when the fans did sing, it was really loud, with the quiet bits probably coinciding with our imitation of funeral directors playing football. Come on you fans!

Overall I am very happy about where we are results wise, but if we played more football we wouldn't be worrying if we could get into the automatics, that would be for other teams to worry about.

Here's hoping!

Edited by DavesaRam

6 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

The only other real opportunities came from two passages of one-touch interplay. Almost as if the player said "Quick lads, Warne's looking away. Lets get a bit of football in!" And no, we aren't being forced wide by the opposition, it is Warne's chosen philosophy. 

As many have observed, the match changed with the substitutions, Wilson because he is a footballer who can magic the ball away from opponents without a second thought - I love having him in the side! And Sibley, not simply because he runs with the ball at defenders, but last night he was running into space and making himself available, and in so doing he was dragging defenders around, making room for other team mates.

There's this weird rhetoric running throughout this post where you entirely fail to give any credit to Warne, while still sneaking an unnecessary jab in (highlighted).

The subs changed the game, you've said so yourself, so where's the credit to Warne for positively impacting the game with his choice of substitutions?

You describe the 3rd goal as ''a superb goal''; literally made by the subs and change of style, aren't you openly contradicting yourself by saying Warne's football is bad if, by your own admission, we're scoring ''superb'' goals?

As annoying as it was, to be going to a game on a Thursday evening, the club's thought process behind the fixture change is sound.

We had a 5 day break going into the game followed by another decent 5 day break going into the Wigan game. We should be relatively fresh for that game, unlike Wigan who only have 3 days. Then we get the knock on effect, we only have 3 days to the Oxford game, but Oxford will be playing their third game in only 6 days. Likewise, when we play Peterborough, it'll be our third game in 6 days, but Peterborough will be playing their 4th in 9 days.

Strong squads will count for quite a lot over the holiday period, players coming back could be crucial, we could do with Waggy back 

5 hours ago, angieram said:

Who was ours? 😉

That was a typo 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 all our players are paragons of virtue and sportsmanship, of course ! 

Chris Martin used to irritate me falling over, Jamie Ward made me laugh because whenever he fouled someone he looked at the ref like an innocent choirboy. 

3 hours ago, silverback said:

Sorry meant to add what a difference a good ref makes. Maybe Becky should get a look at this guy and learn how to do it properly

Let the game flow, book players only when necessary, the game never once got out of control.

If Wycombe had made the challenges that we made first half last week and she'd booked them, can guarentee she'd have been getting loads of praise on here. Two completely different games to referee. Tonight was so easy ,especially first half as there were hardly any fouls, but he still made 5 bookings. 

11 minutes ago, ben_dcfc said:

If Wycombe had made the challenges that we made first half last week and she'd booked them, can guarentee she'd have been getting loads of praise on here. Two completely different games to referee. Tonight was so easy ,especially first half as there were hardly any fouls, but he still made 5 bookings. 

If that had happened, particularly the penalty, I think astonishment and disbelief would have been the overriding reactions, given the number of times refs have been extremely lenient towards poor tackles on our players and blind when it came to incidents like the one that resulted in Wycombe's penalty over the last few seasons.

8 hours ago, Crewton said:

One worrying aspect last night (and I've noticed it a few times this season) is that there seems to be an epidemic of prostate ailments among young men, judging by the number of times some of them need to go down to the concourse during each half. I hope they all get medication or a catheter and bag from Santa because it must be distressing for them 😉

I have a cunning plan already afoot... let's just they they are being specifically designed to work with rail seats/safe standing.  I'm calling them "Terrace-Tena".

#patentpending

2 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

There is often some fortune included in most wins. I'm sure we could pick out multiple other turning points from both an attacking and defensive point of view. Not giving away a daft pen for example.

I thought the script from last night was we were the better team without playing really well and deserved to win. If a few things had gone the other way, we might not have won. 

In a sense it was a generic game. Opposition well organised, coached to stop us getting a quick start, which succeeded until the goal which was down to some skill from Hourihan and deft guts (does that exist as a description ) from Collins. Their ballon burst and we were in the ascendency until Wardy panicked and did it again ! .. They got a lift which carried them into the second half but as with the first they had no teeth, no goal threat. Then with Wilson’s impetus and Sibley making people move out of position with his energy, Bingo. The lack of that real threat just says to me that you can organise as well as you like but there are only 3 things that can happen.

1) You stifle a game to stale mate

2) Your opponent makes mistake so you get something almost for nothing

3) Your opponent beats your “organisation” and you don’t have the assets to hit back

The thing is with all 3 is the passivity .. mind you Greece won the Euros doing just that.

We took our time and made a mistake but had enough to pull through. 

Thought Lincoln were the most copy book side I have seen in a while .. it was like watching a CGI training video. 5 at the back without the ball moving to 3 in possession .. they were all in neat straight lines so often it was a bit bizarre. 

This why fancy dans will always have a place in the game. I loved the goals but it wasn’t that enjoyable. Warne is right we are too static and slow especially when at least half our team have the skills to be better than they are showing in games like Wycombe and this one. 

1 hour ago, YorkshireRam said:

There's this weird rhetoric running throughout this post where you entirely fail to give any credit to Warne, while still sneaking an unnecessary jab in (highlighted).

The subs changed the game, you've said so yourself, so where's the credit to Warne for positively impacting the game with his choice of substitutions?

You describe the 3rd goal as ''a superb goal''; literally made by the subs and change of style, aren't you openly contradicting yourself by saying Warne's football is bad if, by your own admission, we're scoring ''superb'' goals?

Yes I will concede that Warne is a tactical genius by setting is up with crap football to lull the opposition into a false sense of security then change to real football snd blow them away. 

Credit for the substitutions, but his self-admitted MO of get the ball into the flanks and cross it for the defenders to dutifully clear it, rinse and repeat means that in many matches we are climbing hills and mountains when we could be quickly up there and cruising along the plateau.

Last night, apart from the first goal, all of our chances came from playing football. So why not do more of it? Our good run up until Wycombe came from us playing more of a footballing game, which we changed to after the protests from supporters following the Stevenage and Crewe matches. 

It is clear that the team can do it, and it us clear that Warne can do it, but it is also clear that Warne would rather not do it.

When we get promoted if we end up reverting to a preferred system rather than one which we know works, unlike this season we won’t last 5 minutes.

1 hour ago, jono said:

That was a typo 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 all our players are paragons of virtue and sportsmanship, of course ! 

Chris Martin used to irritate me falling over, Jamie Ward made me laugh because whenever he fouled someone he looked at the ref like an innocent choirboy. 

I always thought Chris Martin was innocent when he played for us, but the way he spent most of the game against Bristol Rovers fouling Cash really irritated me. So pleased Cash had him in his pocket and it was only the disorganisation after we went three at the back that allowed him to score. 

8 hours ago, TINMANTED said:

nothing to do with expectations, it just does'nt feel like the disjointed football we are being served up is worthy of top 3

Defend well and outscore the opposition and you climb the table.

As much as I'd love to see free flowing football,  I don't expect to see it or care about it if we keep getting the points needed to get us up.

10 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Some of us aren’t allowing ourselves to get too carried away but that doesn’t mean we “won’t be happy until we’ve won league 1”. 

I’m very pleased with where we’re sitting right now and will begin to really believe if results go our way tomorrow and we pick up a decent number of points over our next three games. COYR.

You’re definitely in the positivity vibe camp @Tamworthram. Perhaps you’re under playing your own optimism 

Tell Me More Jeff Goldblum GIF by National Geographic Channel

4 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

A great result but most of it was one hell of a hard watch! I noticed the new "safe standing" rails are waist height, so should there be a shove from the back, fans are simply going to roll over the bar and drop headfirst into the row below. No crush injuries, just lots of concussion and broken  necks" That's progress for you! Apart from there not having been crowd surges since Pride park opened, so in the meantime, can the rails be fitted with cushioning to rest our heads or chins on during displays like the first half?

As ever we turned the ball over almost at will, and then had to watch and wait while Lincoln played their neat passing game, before we win it back, go from Nelson to Cashin, then eventually on to Fozzie, or occasionally from Cashin over to Ward, then give it away again. And apart from a couple of flashes, that was it - we had the interplay that resulted in Bird's shot being blocked, and then Fozzie's shot past the post. A lot of the negativity isn't necessarily that we aren't dominating entire matches, it is that we are putting up with a second rate style  of play when we can play a lot better. And it is down to how the team is being asked, nay told to play - out wide, cross it, in the hope that the ball will fall nicely for one of our strikers - this is paraphrasing Warne's own words. But it so rarely happens - we only scored last night because Hourihane took a pot shot at a loose ball, which had been  cleared by the defender. The only other real opportunities came from two passages of one-touch interplay. Almost as if the player said "Quick lads, Warne's looking away. Lets get a bit of football in!" And no, we aren't being forced wide by the opposition, it is Warne's chosen philosophy. Interesting that at half time the Lincoln subs were all there doing one-touch interplay while our subs were doing running and stretching exercises! Did our subs actually touch a ball during the break?

And very quickly we were ahead, as a direct result of a bit of  creativity. It was a short corner, but not the usual short corner - NML quickly curled the ball in with his right foot and Wilson got himself off the mark. And no, it wasn't a lucky goal, he meant the ball to loop over the keeper like it did. Great goal!

From then it was game over. Lincoln had got the point they had come for, and settled down to see the game out, only to have that point taken away from them, and having slowed things down, it is very difficult to up the tempo again, and their heads were gone! Our 3rd goal was genius from Wilson. once more he turned and went back up the field, signalling with his hand for someone to pass to, only to double back and slip a beautiful through ball, and Collins couldn't miss. A superb goal. It was a comfortable win in the end, but only because of the passages when we actually played football, instead of "wide and cross" ad nausea.

The ref was pretty good overall, but missed three worrying incidents - Collins got an elbow to the head, which was payback for him clattering a Lincoln player over by the touchline, for which I thought he should have been booked. But JJ also got an elbow to the head a few minutes earlier, without having done anything to get payback for. And the ref did nothing about either. But never mind, his few shortcomings were nothing to worry about compared with Welch's performance last Saturday. And when the fans did sing, it was really loud, with the quiet bits probably coinciding with our imitation of funeral directors playing football. Come on you fans!

Overall I am very happy about where we are results wise, but if we played more football we wouldn't be worrying if we could get into the automatics, that would be for other teams to worry about.

Here's hoping!

Your reports almost appear as if you are auditioning for a role at the Derby Evening Telegraph, trying to find something, quirky or humorous to say. You probably have your computer set up to remind you to mention Sibley’s lack of minutes and don’t forget to mention getting the ball wide quickly and put crap crosses in. This is all in Warnes master plan for poor, boring performances?

You seem to forget that we play an opposition, who set up to deny us playing, entertaining. Of course, they pack the centre of the pitch to stop us playing through.

Do you honestly believe Paul Warne sets us up to play poorly, tells us not to pass to each other. 

You write as if you are on the training ground everyday and in the dressing room before games. The fact is you’re not and to be honest, in my opinion your knowledge of what tactics he wishes to employ are zero. I can’t be bother to write anymore about your sanctimonious rubbish. You may impress others on this site with your pronouncements but not me. 

1 hour ago, ossieram said:

Defend well and outscore the opposition and you climb the table.

As much as I'd love to see free flowing football,  I don't expect to see it or care about it if we keep getting the points needed to get us up.

Yes, after all, it's L1 football and more or less all the teams will have flaws technically and tactically. The trick now is to be the least inconsistent team in the top 6.