Derby v Lincoln City

B4’s Sister

Sibley need to develop his football awareness and first touch. He is high level in many aspects but his basic ball retention lets him down to often I am afraid. I always love to see his name in the team sheet because you always know he can produce a moment of magic but his lack of more basic football skills should have been able to be corrected. I am still hoping to see his potential unlocked in the Rams shirt. 

6 minutes ago, InstaRam said:

Sibley need to develop his football awareness and first touch. He is high level in many aspects but his basic ball retention lets him down to often I am afraid. I always love to see his name in the team sheet because you always know he can produce a moment of magic but his lack of more basic football skills should have been able to be corrected. I am still hoping to see his potential unlocked in the Rams shirt. 

I agree with most of this although I'm afraid I think hes at his level. Bit part player at league 1. Love to be wrong.

I'd like to see:

Wildsmith

Nyambe     Nelson    Cashin    Forsyth

Fornah

Bird             Hourihane

NML                                    Barkhuizen
                                     TJJ

It gives John-Jules a start to see more of what he's about, Barks has earned a start, more balanced midfield 3. Also allows us to bring Collins, Wilson, Ward etc. off the bench if needed for a change of tactic. 

3 hours ago, S8TY said:

Tricky one this...but 3 points is a must if we have aspirations of overtaking pompey 

Just hope we see some good.... ish football 

I'd give TJJ a start here to see if he's capable of being more than a bit part player ...if he's not then we can offload in Jan and get some players in who will play more 

We might find out if JJ is more than a bit part player if he’s given more than bit parts to play. I am presuming that Paul Warne is easing JJ back up to full fitness gently, and not simply being Paul Warne because the lad is only young.

15 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

We might find out if JJ is more than a bit part player if he’s given more than bit parts to play. I am presuming that Paul Warne is easing JJ back up to full fitness gently, and not simply being Paul Warne because the lad is only young.

Yes but exactly how long do we have to wait before he's match ready , we need players who can play 90 mins or at least be available to play 90 mins, he's a young player with a record of injuries so we have to be clever here and make a judgment on whether he's a viable option or not  or offload him and spend our budget on another player as being on the injury list will not help us for our final push 

17 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Yes but exactly how long do we have to wait before he's match ready , we need players who can play 90 mins or at least be available to play 90 mins, he's a young player with a record of injuries so we have to be clever here and make a judgment on whether he's a viable option or not  or offload him and spend our budget on another player as being on the injury list will not help us for our final push 

My thoughts too , my big concern is he plays some games between now and jan, we keep him and he is back on the injury list after jan , some talented players just seem to get injuries and never reach they’re potential, we don’t have the luxury of that kind of money ,any player can of course pick up an injury but one with history of breaking down is a big gamble for us , glad I’m not the one who has to make the decisions 

1 hour ago, YorkshireRam said:

I'd like to see:

Wildsmith

Fornah

TJJ

I'd swap Max and Fornah around (liked some of Tyrese's driving runs in his sub appearances!) but same for me other than that 👍

2 hours ago, jono said:

Ok I am biting 🤣 Tom is a player in the autumn of his career. His abilities are known and in decline. It’s a daft comparison. Tom Lawrence was inconsistent but had enough good games to attract interest from many places and displayed a recognisable skill level for a mature player. Again a poor example. This game time malarkey doesn’t hold water. Again though, I am not anti Sibs. I want him to succeed, he has shown at times, special attributes but he has had more than enough game time for those to develop. He’s behind the curve that you would expect. Mind you, maybe he’s peaked ?  maybe another coach will unlock him - but he has had a fair few ? maybe a different playing system would help ?  I really don’t know but it isn’t game time or opportunity he’s had plenty. Wilson is wild and makes bad final decisions sometimes, but is way more scary to any opponent at the moment. 

You always bite, despite your comments in the Tiresome Oneupmanship thread.  🤣

How's it a daft comparison?  They play in a similar position.  What does age have to do with it?  Sibley is criticised for his work out of possession.  Do you think Barkhuizen is any better?  The guy never wins a header, he never wins a 50-50, he's about as lightweight and ineffective as it's possible to be.  But I don't see anyone criticising him.

I don't see how Lawrence is a daft comparison either.  He was picked week after week for the one good game he had in a dozen (possibly being generous) because on those occasions he might score you the goal that won the match.  Sibley can score the goal that might win us the match too but doesn't get anywhere near the amount of game time.  If he has a quiet game or even sometimes just 45 minutes he's off.

Edited by Blondest Goat

2 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

I'd like to see:

Wildsmith

Fornah

TJJ

It gives John-Jules a start to see more of what he's about, Barks has earned a start, more balanced midfield 3. Also allows us to bring Collins, Wilson, Ward etc. off the bench if needed for a change of tactic. 

I actually think this is our strongest line up full stop..... but would like all 3 mids to interchange as I still think Hourihane and Fornah are a threat if used more advanced 

31 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

How's it a daft comparison?  They play in a similar position.  What does age have to do with it?  Sibley is criticised for his work out of possession.  Do you think Barkhuizen is any better?  The guy never wins a header, he never wins a 50-50, he's about as lightweight and ineffective as it's possible to be.  But I don't see anyone criticising him.

I don't see how Lawrence is a daft comparison either.  He was picked week after week for the one good game he had in a dozen (possibly being generous) because on those occasions he might score you the goal that won the match.  Sibley can score the goal that might win us the match too but doesn't get anywhere near the amount of game time.  If he has a quiet game or even sometimes just 45 minutes he's off.

What I would say in Lawrence's defence his work and closing down off the ball definitely improved and was much better before he departed, I still wouldn't have made him captain though that was an odd one for me 

33 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

Barkhuizen retains possession better than Sibley and makes better decisions.

He hasn't had a great season so far, but he is way ahead of Sibley and Wilson in that position.

1 hour ago, Blondest Goat said:

It’s a daft comparison because you are not comparing like for like

Barks is a player in the latter stages of his career. He is a known quantity

Sibs is a young player, who at this point in his development hasn’t improved on his early potential. Early on he looked like he was going to grow to be a serious contender to be a star player. He has stalled. Why I am not sure but it isn’t lack of opportunity. If you’re special it’s going to show wherever you are playing, in touch, vision, passing and a load of other things. It’s a lot more than goals or winning headers. 

Lawrence was also a mature player and the 1:12 game thing you suggest, is inaccurate. He did blow hot and cold but teams feared what he might do (because he could) and then attempted to adjust

At the moment that isn’t happening for Sibs. I hope it does, tonight or the next game. The minute he steps on the pitch I am right behind him but objective comments always get met in some quarters by complete denial or “it’s not fair” 

21 minutes ago, jono said:

It’s a daft comparison because you are not comparing like for like

Barks is a player in the latter stages of his career. He is a known quantity

Sibs is a young player, who at this point in his development hasn’t improved on his early potential. Early on he looked like he was going to grow to be a serious contender to be a star player. He has stalled. Why I am not sure but it isn’t lack of opportunity. If you’re special it’s going to show wherever you are playing, in touch, vision, passing and a load of other things. It’s a lot more than goals or winning headers. 

Lawrence was also a mature player and the 1:12 game thing you suggest, is inaccurate. He did blow hot and cold but teams feared what he might do (because he could) and then attempted to adjust

At the moment that isn’t happening for Sibs. I hope it does, tonight or the next game. The minute he steps on the pitch I am right behind him but objective comments always get met in some quarters by complete denial or “it’s not fair” 

So we can't compare any aspect of Sibs or Barks games or how they are treated by fans / management cos they're not the same age?  Absolutely baffled by that.  

10 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

So we can't compare any aspect of Sibs or Barks games or how they are treated by fans / management cos they're not the same age?  Absolutely baffled by that.  

I think the poster is saying you can't compare the players based upon them being of similar ability. You asked why the two players you mentioned are treated differently to Sibley, the answer came back that the other two have shown more to their game in a Derby shirt than him.

All comes down to opinion at the end of the day, but one that has been backed by several Derby managers. For me at 22 years old and 120 odd games under his belt, him not being able to secure a regular starting role at in a Div 1 team, says where he is at his career and isn't a reflection on the manager or fans, just a reflection on his performances.

Id, like most, including PW, would be more than happy if he secured that place, because it would be beneficial to the team and always good to see an academy player do well.

First game at PP for us since the opening day.

I remember being so angry with that result that I had visions of disappearing to an Italian island and forgetting football exists.

Here’s hoping for better tonight!

I’d go for:

Wildsmith

Nyambe - Nelson - Cashin - Forsyth

Bird - Fornah - Sibley

Wilson - Collins - NML

8 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Less than 2,000 tickets left for home fans now, 241 in the West stand and 273 in the East stand.

With reportedly 1,900 Lincoln fans there should be around 27,000 in attendance.

That's a great effort, let's hope it's one of those special pre-Christmas games that put the fear into the rest of the division. I remember a game under TBE when we went top before Christmas, it was a real statement and magical atmosphere (I'm aware we can't go top tonight before anyone chimes in... Boo Warne Out etc.)