Derby v Lincoln City

B4’s Sister

21 hours ago, Returning ram said:

I'd love to be wrong on him, but the days of playing just in one role have gone, if he does move on, he will come across the same problem that he has done under the previous managers who struggle to find a place for him, because simply put, there are players who perform better than him.

I read all the time how poor this league is, so he should really be tearing it up, yet for me, he never produces a performance where you watch and think, wow, there is a player there. As I say, hopefully he will push on, ideally with us, but if it was one of the academy players on the team that you'd lose out of the three, which one would you pick ?

I'd prefer to keep Max and Cash and Sibs to go in the scenario you sketch. In reality, I expect to lose all 3.

1 minute ago, MadAmster said:

If not in January, I expect all 3 to be gone in the summer.

And, as painful as it is to say, we'd only really miss Cashin. I'm a Bird fan, but it's hard to deny he doesn't affect games enough and it's rare to come away thinking he was a clear man of the match in a game. For that reason, he can be replaceable if we really need to. Sibley divides opinion on here, but think we can all agree that his usage over the past few years has been sporadic and he's never been a weekly mainstay in the side so it's hard to miss someone like that. 

2 hours ago, Srg said:

And, as painful as it is to say, we'd only really miss Cashin. I'm a Bird fan, but it's hard to deny he doesn't affect games enough and it's rare to come away thinking he was a clear man of the match in a game. For that reason, he can be replaceable if we really need to. Sibley divides opinion on here, but think we can all agree that his usage over the past few years has been sporadic and he's never been a weekly mainstay in the side so it's hard to miss someone like that. 

The hardest thing for me would be the "What If's". I agree Sibley doesn't appear to have fulfilled his potential, but what if he'd been given as many chances in his best position as Hourihane? Or as many chances as Collins? Or as many chances as Tom Lawrence, because this isn't the first season we have wasted someone's potential whilst giving opportunity without limit to someone who wastes it for themselves? We messed about with Christ Martin during his last spell with us, and Georgi Kinkladze, and Will Hughes, and Lee Holmes, from the dim and distant past, or even Weimmann from not that long ago. We have form!

As Mad Amster says it would probably be best for Sibley to move on and find a club that do know how to utilize his abilities. He won't be the first. Bird again doesn't appear to be pulling up tree stumps every match, but part of that problem is that he is on a different plane to most of of the squad. One wonders what could happen if JJ actually gets a run in the side, because he looks as though he may already be living in the same plane as Max?

Edited by DavesaRam

16 hours ago, jono said:

I didn’t ask about Sibley though did I ? .. you moan constantly about the opportunities Sibley has been denied, how it’s unfair, how he doesn’t get a run in the team or how he’s played out of position .. blah blah blah. Funny thing is he’s had a lot of minutes on the pitch though hasn’t he ? And yes there have been a few good performances but you don’t have the grace to admit he isn’t setting the world on fire and at the same time pour scorn on another lad who’s barely had a chance. Double standards and bang offside.

Yet apply the same standards to another player who has had little opportunity anywhere and your response is meh, he runs around a lot. Soz Roy, you’re unjust and wrong 

If you watch Sibley he’s not great off of the ball ….there are two sides with and without the ball he doesn’t do nearly enough without the ball 

no stats can confirm this but if you watch his awareness is not great he chips in with the odd goal which is much needed as our midfield don’t score enough …looking at a Leicester and how there manager has got his midfield players scoring more goals is because of good coaching it’s no coincidence players like Dewsbury Hall have started scoring ….but apart from scoring he closes channels and works hard when he hasn’t got the ball …Sibley doesn’t contribute enough without the ball …when he played as a full back I thought it would help his awareness when out of possession but it hasn’t 

if he’s not scoring or assisting he contributes very little I’d let him go and see if we can get a box to box CM in who can score and still do a good job out of possession 

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

The hardest thing for me would be the "What If's". I agree Sibley doesn't appear to have fulfilled his potential, but what if he'd been given as many chances in his best position as Hourihane? Or as many chances as Collins? Or as many chances as Tom Lawrence, because this isn't the first season we have wasted someone's potential whilst giving opportunity without limit to someone who wastes it for themselves? We messed about with Christ Martin during his last spell with us, and Georgi Kinkladze, and Will Hughes, and Lee Holmes, from the dim and distant past, or even Weimmann from not that long ago. We have form!

As Mad Amster says it would probably be best for Sibley to move on and find a club that do know how to utilize his abilities. He won't be the first. Bird again doesn't appear to be pulling up tree stumps every match, but part of that problem is that he is on a different plane to most of of the squad. One wonders what could happen if JJ actually gets a run in the side, because he looks as though he may already be living in the same plane as Max?

I know some worship him but this is a step too far.

2 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Wildsmith

nyambe Nelson Cashin Fozzy 

Fornah Bird

Wilson Barkhuizen NML

Collins 

I’m begging to see Fornah and Bird as a 2 I think they’d work so well together 

Is Nyambe back ? If so that’s good news we’ve missed him he’s probably the best RB in L1 

4 hours ago, S8TY said:

If you watch Sibley he’s not great off of the ball ….there are two sides with and without the ball he doesn’t do nearly enough without the ball 

no stats can confirm this but if you watch his awareness is not great he chips in with the odd goal which is much needed as our midfield don’t score enough …looking at a Leicester and how there manager has got his midfield players scoring more goals is because of good coaching it’s no coincidence players like Dewsbury Hall have started scoring ….but apart from scoring he closes channels and works hard when he hasn’t got the ball …Sibley doesn’t contribute enough without the ball …when he played as a full back I thought it would help his awareness when out of possession but it hasn’t 

if he’s not scoring or assisting he contributes very little I’d let him go and see if we can get a box to box CM in who can score and still do a good job out of possession 

It’s so frustrating though isn’t it. He is such a committed player with the ball. He’s got something but as you say, maybe it’s coaching that could bring it out. That said he has had various influences over time. When he scored that hat trick I thought we’d unearthed a gem. There have been other flashes of real skill but they are too infrequent given the game time he has had. Every time he’s in the team I am hoping that “todays the day” but it never seems to happen. He still a useful player but in reality I don’t think other teams say “oh no Sibley’s playing, watch out for him” 

2 minutes ago, jono said:

It’s so frustrating though isn’t it. He is such a committed player with the ball. He’s got something but as you say, maybe it’s coaching that could bring it out. That said he has had various influences over time. When he scored that hat trick I thought we’d unearthed a gem. There have been other flashes of real skill but they are too infrequent given the game time he has had. Every time he’s in the team I am hoping that “todays the day” but it never seems to happen. He still a useful player but in reality I don’t think other teams say “oh no Sibley’s playing, watch out for him” 

I’ve literally watched Sibley seemingly ( although probably isn’t ) half heartedly trying to stop sides playing out of difficult situations and he is easy to play around …he comes to life more when he has the ball but without it he doesn’t do enough ….it is a shame yes but I don’t see him improving any more than he is now so if we get an offer I’d take it