Derby related song titles or band names

BatRam

"Underneath the Arches" is a 1932 popular song with words and music by Bud Flanagan, and additional lyrics by Reg Connelly.[1] It was one of the most famous songs of the duo Flanagan and Allen.

According to a television programme broadcast in 1957, Bud Flanagan said that he wrote the song in Derby in 1927, and first performed it a week later at the Pier Pavilion, Southport.[2] It refers to the arches of Derby's Friargate Railway Bridge and to the cobbled street where homeless men slept during the Great Depression.[3

3 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Glen Campbell (G)Alvaston?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTbTHlTmDX8

I was also told, that the great Burt Bacharach, reluctantly changed the title of his classic "Do you know the way to San JOse" from "Do you live alone in Cotmanhay"

Of course the singer also changed her name by deed poll from Dionne Wardwick.

5 hours ago, The Last Post said:

"Underneath the Arches" is a 1932 popular song with words and music by Bud Flanagan, and additional lyrics by Reg Connelly.[1] It was one of the most famous songs of the duo Flanagan and Allen.

According to a television programme broadcast in 1957, Bud Flanagan said that he wrote the song in Derby in 1927, and first performed it a week later at the Pier Pavilion, Southport.[2] It refers to the arches of Derby's Friargate Railway Bridge and to the cobbled street where homeless men slept during the Great Depression.[3

I may have this completely wrong, but I think I read somewhere that Paul Simon was sat on Friargate Station when he wrote "Homeward Bound".

41 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

I may have this completely wrong, but I think I read somewhere that Paul Simon was sat on Friargate Station when he wrote "Homeward Bound".

Oooo close.

"Homeward Bound" is a song by the American music duo Simon & Garfunkel, released as a single on January 19, 1966, by Columbia Records. It was written by Paul Simon and produced by Bob Johnston. Simon wrote the song during his time in England, possibly while waiting for a train at Widnes railway station in the northwest of England.

I bet he was halfway through writing the song and got a connection at Friargate station 😉

I recall a player called Calum ball. He scored once when I watched the rams at home to West Ham. 

In the charts at the time was the song “Cannon Ball” by Damien Rice.

When he scored I wished momentarily for the crowd to sing “he floats like Calum Ball.

I think he went on to score only two or three more times and sadly went on to a fairly mediocre career. The song never caught on. 

Ah well. Great song though.

8 minutes ago, Malty said:

I recall a player called Callium ball. He scored once when I watched the rams at home to West Ham. 

In the charts at the time was the song “Cannon Ball” by Damien Rice.

When he scored I wished momentarily for the crowd to sing “he floats like Callium Ball.

I think he went on to score only two or three more times and sadly went on to a fairly mediocre career. The song never caught on. 

Ah well. Great song though.

B4 FTFY