Derby vs Leyton Orient

B4’s Sister

The first time I have watched Derby live for a long time. Thought we were pretty awful in the first half, better second half but then I have to remember that it’s League 1 football. Orient could have been 2 up in the first 30 minutes if they had better finishing. But we came much better later. Thought Orient’s Agye looked pretty good. Worth persuing perhaps

39 minutes ago, rammieib said:

A good solid performance today but feel Bird is slightly ineffective in the advanced role.

Doesnt make runs beyond Collins and doesn’t really know when to come and show for it.

Would prefer him deeper but that does leave a dilemma of who to put in the 10 spot. (As I don’t want Korey Smith anywhere near the team!)

You're only as good as your last game. On today's play Sibs at #10

8 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'd suggest the people working 50 to 60 hour weeks, and earning less than our players are on a week, should look up the rules on minimum wage!

As for the change in performances, personally I think you are trying to see things which make you more comfortable with your sustained attacks on Warne a few weeks back.

Happy to be proven wrong but to my eyes we played as many long balls today as we did back then.

The only difference is when we play through the middle we are more incisive and more clinical up top.

Granted we have reduced the number of pointless crosses into the box but Id attribute that to Wilson using the better from wide areas.

I should have said "per month" instead of "week" - my bad. But re the 50 - 60 hours a week - I did it for over 20 years, and couldn't get near a footballer's wages, even in League 1, even when my hourly rate went above minimum wage, which it should have done for an HGV driver.

Re Paul Warne - I am very comfortable with my criticisms of him, and will stand by them, because until the turning point this season he doggedly stuck to a system which our performances proved didn't work. Our good run last season only happened when he was forced to change his system because of injury, and ended when he was able to switch back again.

Re the number of crosses: they have never been statistically high, with other clubs playing many more than we did. MY beef was with (a) the poor quality of crosses, which were consistently too high, and often too long, with virtually no-one being in the box to receive them, especially Collins who was usually to be found out on the wing during that period. And (b) his insistence on by-passing the midfield. He openly admitted to encouraging the ball out wide at the earliest opportunity, and even with Collins being in the box when the crosses came in, he isn't exactly a towering colossus, and was therefore easy to defend against given the gorillas who often inhabit opposition defences.

Since the great hoo-hah about playing styles, there has been a greater use of midfield, even though we do play plenty of long balls as well. So today there were a lot of superb through balls, some of which reaching the player who had run through, some of them not quite, almost as if George Thorne had be training them in the art of the through ball, an aspect which we saw virtually none of during the dark ages of only a few weeks ago. And we are beginning to see, for example, Max Bird's class beginning to shine through. It would seem that we have worked on our crossing as well, commensurate with our switch to incorporating more football on the ground, with there now being crosses along the ground, or at waist/chest height instead of burning holes in the ozone layer.

Hopefully my observations and criticisms are now a thing of the past, because I am loving the way we are now playing. It is nowhere near what we could be playing like, although that may well come, but it is such an improvement over what we were seeing up to the Crewe and Colchester debacles.

Let's enjoy today's win, let's enjoy the run we are on, and let's enjoy the hope this run has given us.

Just had a read through this thread having watched the game earlier.

I see comments moaning about Bradley coming on, going 5 at the back but also about them getting in behind Ward.....well we didnt go 5 at the back, Nelson moved to right back meaning we were abit more solid there with Ward off. Bradley wasnt too bad, not worthy of slagging off in a 3-0 win.

Didnt play outstanding but could have also got 6 or 7 today. Collins had a couple of chances as did TJJ when he came. They looked dangerous on the counter until they went down to 10 men, then it was game over.

5 wins in a row, another clean sheet. Well in form to make a push for the automatic spots.

2 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Early on when Oxford merely messed with us there was a feeling that we were miles off where we should be to challenge at the top. Frustration was increased by glimpses of what the team was capable of before crashing back to the dreadful stuff that typified the first part of the season, and the “Warne-outers” hit maximum volume after Crewe and Stevenage - quite rightly, because we were terrible. We were watching players getting more in a week fir under achieving than many fans earn in an entire year for working hard for 40 - 60 hours a week, and who, if they under achieved like our beloved footballers would be out of work in no time.

The vocal criticism if Warne and his tactics surfaced, but a week or so layer we started on this terrific run. And the difference? Some point to Smith being unavailable, which might have a bearing because our pace and tempo is much higher. But mainly we have started to play football on the floor, and we are involving our midfield. Which us all the disgruntles fans were asking for.

There is still more needed, but today we reaped the benefits of playing football instead if embarking on an aerial bombardment without any missiles.

To my eyes, and to his credit, it seems that Paul Warne has listened to the criticism and changed how were are doing things.

So in an even first half we could have been two down, but could just easily ended up 3-2 ahead. The red card helped us, but without hitting any peaks we ended up comfortable winners, even allowing fir the numerical advantage.

Well done you Rams!

No …. The players are now doing what is asked of them. “Aerial bombardment” “Warne goofball” never did exist except in the fantasy of some fans.

Strange game today. Thought we were poor at times, careless on the ball careless in attacking areas wasting good situations. Collins should’ve had 2 before half time. Sibley’s goal was exceptional and he was the bright spark for me in the first half. The red card changed it and in the end we won comfortably but there were times in the second half where we lacked control and made it difficult. Orient are not bad, try to play photos stuff and caused us problems but exactly as their podcast guy said on RD, not ruthless in both boxes, that was the main difference.

All our goals were good and we got a 3-0 without playing especially well. It feels like something is building. The turnaround since Stevenage has been amazing and full credit must go to Warne and his staff. We now have two very winnable home games before potentially some season defining Christmas games. Even if it doesn’t go our way we will enter January in the promotion mix which gives us a great chance to strengthen. Looking forward to Thommo coming back and sounds like the manager is as well, think he’ll really improve us in midfield.

B4’s sister is taking us all the way to the end of the season on the match threads!! 💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻🐏🐏🐏🐏

Well that was an enjoyable day! First twenty minutes or so was a bit scrappy, thought it was going to be a tough afternoon, but the first goal and then the sending off really helped, and I thought for the most part we controlled the game after that. Loved the guys in the corner flat starting the bounce! Oh and thanks to all the helpful parking suggestions from you guys, we had no problem finding a parking spot!cars job GIF