Derby vs Leyton Orient

B4’s Sister

49 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

The promotions he won Rotherham gave him a solid and long term base of support I’d imagine.  And I think the Rotherham fan base don’t hold the view many of us do that div 1 is beneath us. So in Rotherham he was a popular figure who really was the boss. That’s why he has been careless when he talks about players imo

Some of the criticism on here and at PP has been quite cutting. It’s a new thing for him.  I think he may have found it hard to cope with and I think it leaves him a bit lost as to how to project himself in the media. The quirky chirpy cheeky chappy doesn’t play if the crowd are calling for his bobble hat 

I think you make a good point and I think he has become a bit defensive , I don’t think he’s daft enough to think it’s ALL the fanbase but I do think he may be using the fact that he and the players have a point to prove to the vocal borderline abusive minority, ive no prob with that🤷🏻‍♂️

18 hours ago, May Contain Nuts said:

Another one showing their true colours. Nasty!

Yeah, @jono is well known for his nasty streak. Those of us who know him and the things of which he is capable, always refer to him as, Mr Big Nasty, more out of fear than respect and I'd strongly advise you to do the same. Word to the wise, in a moment of temporary insanity, I once had the temerity to enquire of him why folk used this moniker; with a grin so deeply malevolent that it froze the blood right there in my veins, he replied, 'because my nastiness is BIG' 😱

15 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Yeah, @jono is well known for his nasty streak. Those of us who know him and the things of which he is capable, always refer to him as, Mr Big Nasty, more out of fear than respect and I'd strongly advise you to do the same. Word to the wise, in a moment of temporary insanity, I once had the temerity to enquire of him why folk used this moniker; with a grin so deeply malevolent that it froze the blood right there in my veins, he replied, 'because my nastiness is BIG' 😱

Yes Comrade, thank you . Your support has been noted for next month’s committee of summary judgment meeting, but don’t think for a second you will avoid any due nastiness. It is possible that I may relent and send you to Wycombe car park for a week rather than Middlesbrough’s board room toilets, but this is as they say, a one time offer. .. Be afraid, be very 😳 🤪

2 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

I did think it was out of character to be fair, but sometimes even seemingly docile posters seem to turn into Warne's personal guard dogs and attack when they catch scent of criticism.

The weird thing in all this is I don’t see myself as a Warne Guard Dog. To be Frank I don’t like being inaccurately placed in a camp.

I think his early season persistence with 3 at the back was hung on to for far too long. I thought he could have done better in the transfer window (but I also don’t know what wage and fund restrictions he had that might have negated the seeming attraction of DCFC to better L1/exChampionship players) I also know if we weren’t in the top half of the table and on an improving curve then I wouldn’t be that keen. There is also use of midfield, yet despite his weaknesses it’s Bradley who instinctively plays it out to the middle rather than the flanks. 

On the other hand, clubs that succeed are rarely ones that sack managers every 12/18 months so I am naturally supportive of a general stance that involves patience and giving people time. It’s not about removing or keeping PW it’s about a plan and a process. How long did it take Sunderland to get out of this league ? If I am a guard dog of anything it’s to protect a process and reasonable, rational action balanced with consequences of those actions. 

I also think we often fail to recognise how lower league football has changed. It has had a couple of peaks. The Setanta sport thing where serious money might have arrived - but didn’t,  then pre Covid while lots of gamblers money was in the Championship (and I don’t just mean Morris ) since then many birds have come home to roost, there are a lot of sub PL clubs with allusions or delusions to or of grandeur, status and power that are seriously misguided. 

41 minutes ago, jono said:

The weird thing in all this is I don’t see myself as a Warne Guard Dog.

Me neither. I never wanted him in the first place, but having dumped a guy who offered continuity, I just didn't fancy another leap into the unknown so early in the season and neither, it would seem, did Mr Clowes.  

That said, I do feel encouraged about our prospects this year, given the recent upturn in form and after some difficult years for the club and fans alike, I intend to take as much pleasure and enjoyment from the good the runs as I can. I have some longer term doubts, but I'll worry about promotion from the Championship when we get there.

2 hours ago, jono said:

I also think we often fail to recognise how lower league football has changed

Sorry to pick this out from the whole post but I think this is the issue and also where we agree.

The league definitely has changed but IMO it's changed in a manner which suits us, even if we are under certain restrictions.

I didn't like you referring to me as an extremist in an early post. I'm anything but.

I just firmly believe that we're past the point where we need to dwell on those restrictions and that they're nowhere near as impactful as sometimes is presented.

I'm massively positive about our club as a whole and I think we've recovered remarkably quickly, for which I will forever be grateful to David Clowes' even if I don't agree with his decision on appointing or faith in Warne. I just worry we'll waste our behind the scenes brilliance on on the pitch averageness and a pack of future planning.

As I've said already I'm simply unwilling to take what I see as a short term view as 'good enough' when I feel we have the pote to really kickstart out revival.

3 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

Sorry to pick this out from the whole post but I think this is the issue and also where we agree.

The league definitely has changed but IMO it's changed in a manner which suits us, even if we are under certain restrictions.

I didn't like you referring to me as an extremist in an early post. I'm anything but.

I just firmly believe that we're past the point where we need to dwell on those restrictions and that they're nowhere near as impactful as sometimes is presented.

I'm massively positive about our club as a whole and I think we've recovered remarkably quickly, for which I will forever be grateful to David Clowes' even if I don't agree with his decision on appointing or faith in Warne. I just worry we'll waste our behind the scenes brilliance on on the pitch averageness and a pack of future planning.

As I've said already I'm simply unwilling to take what I see as a short term view as 'good enough' when I feel we have the pote to really kickstart out revival.

Hey, that’s an opinion. Just as mine is. Perhaps you would have preferred Liam to stay, I also felt that at the time, but DC didn’t and it’s his dosh.  He made what he thought was a sensible strategic decision. As it happens and on balance I think it was a good decision. I am more than aware that it is imperfect. But the dream of a manager who will take us to the top at first go from where we were, is just that: a dream and a theory. It rarely happens in practice, hence my desire for patience and stability. I would like to think I have acknowledged that my support would waver if we weren’t competing, but we are.
No we aren’t running away with it, but can anyone either expect that or lay a foundation for that in just months ? 

I am sorry you felt the “extremist” remarks was directed at you. It wasn’t particularly. I simply tend to try and avoid those who have a fixed view on anything. There are a few on this forum who have a view and will never change it simply on principle. The Sibley 10 discussion or the 3 at the back or James Collins. I just don’t like engaging with unmovable objects. It’s a kind of fake moon landings scenario, 5G conspiracy thing and in the case of Collins it is destructive, not really accurate and in any case unhelpful to the team as a whole. I don’t mean to suggest this is you in any way, but say it to try and explain my mindset. I have a view that I hold strongly but it is changeable if the right degree of empirical evidence presents itself. As to Warne, it hasn’t, so for the time being I am onside. That doesn’t make me a guard dog