Derby County Versus Crewe Alexandra - Match Day Thread - ( FA Cup 1st Rd Replay )

S8TY

Just now, jono said:

Yes Roy. They do. We were beaten by an athletic team with little difference in skill level but they worked harder for longer than we did. Throw whatever you want at the management but for me we were hopelessly casual all evening bar the first 5 minutes of each half. A big chunk of that is down to players and leadership on the pitch. 

He picked them. We were struggling and he put Mr Whizz Bradley on. 😄

1 minute ago, oodledoodle said:

Warne sends out Wildsmith first...

Everyone's disappointed but they left it all out their apparently. Losing wasn't ideal but they can concentrate on the league.

Now the gaffers up - not dynamic enough out wide or on set pieces. We could have played a conference side and they'd have given us a game.  Having Wash available would have made a difference.    

Sweet Jesus.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Oh ffs he says plenty of things about how it should have been. The players he chose to play, it's their fault.

I would have thought there should be shared responsibility between him and the players. He would attract a little more support if he could take his share of the blame UNLESS, they really didn't follow his instruction but, I find that very unlikely.

3 minutes ago, jono said:

Yes Roy. They do. We were beaten by an athletic team with little difference in skill level but they worked harder for longer than we did. Throw whatever you want at the management but for me we were hopelessly casual all evening bar the first 5 minutes of each half. A big chunk of that is down to players and leadership on the pitch. 

We had leadership on the pitch? f*** me, I'd never have guessed......

20 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Who are those good players and where were they tonight?

They were on the pitch playing to a crap coaches instruction/tactics. We have played Crewe only 10 days ago and got lucky to get a replay and this coach did not learn from the 1st game. Can we swop the managers over, because Lee Bell outwitted Warne twice with inferior players.

Just now, Tamworthram said:

I would have thought there should be shared responsibility between him and the players. He would attract a little more support if he could take his share of the blame UNLESS, they really didn't follow his instruction but, I find that very unlikely.

They follow his instructions, such as they are. 

Shared responsibility is not a thing. 

Pretty shocking really, given the side we put out, and the start we had, but shouldn't we be putting 2 up front against lower league teams?

Playing devils advocate, is it telling that Warne only signed two of the players that started tonight?

Notably he didn't sign any of our centre mids or forwards. I know he brought a number of players in this summer but was he hamstrung filling gaps and taking gambles rather than being able to stamp his style on the team.

It's glaringly apparent now that he inherited a team so far away from his preferred design, with no real means to change it, and as such he was the admitedly the wrong appointment. We don't have the means to shuffle the pack sufficiently in January so any chance of top 6 will be a matter of other sides failings and a bit of luck.

Could another manager be achieving a lot more with these players? Likely so. Could someone come in now and give us a greater shot at promotion and maybe keeping a couple of the players we want to? The switch has flipped in me and I'm now starting to think so.

With an inevitable stampede leaving in summer, we either seriously get our sh*t together now, identify and bring in exactly the players he needs to play Warneball - the midfield workhorses, some towering defenders, the right sort of centre forwards etc. If we aren't planning for that then there is no point keeping with him at all because thats all he can play effectively.

2 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

The sooner we get Peter Crouch out of retirement the better , he would love all these 8 foot high crosses. The lad White in midfield showed ours how to pass and move .

The thing is though, if there really were a load of 8 foot high crosses is that a failure of execution (the players) rather than the tactic? I can't imagine PW said keep crossing it but make sure they're too high. 🤷‍♀️

Just now, plymouthram said:

They were on the pitch playing to a crap coaches instruction/tactics. We have played Crewe only 10 days ago and got lucky to get a replay and this coach did not learn from the 1st game. Can we swop the managers over, because Lee Bell outwitted Warne twice with inferior players.

It's so easy to just blame everything on Warne. And lazy. He picked a side that should be beating Crewe comfortably, but the players didn't bring enough quality or effort, the grown adult footballers we employ should have enough professionalism to be able to perform better than that, even if the tactics are suboptimal. Warne isn't faultless, but why do we let the players off the hook? 

Just now, Andicis said:

It's so easy to just blame everything on Warne. And lazy. He picked a side that should be beating Crewe comfortably, but the players didn't bring enough quality or effort, the grown adult footballers we employ should have enough professionalism to be able to perform better than that, even if the tactics are suboptimal. Warne isn't faultless, but why do we let the players off the hook? 

I blame Warne, the players, and the tea lady. Just blaming the players and Warne is lazy.

Just now, Tamworthram said:

The thing is though, if there really were a load of 8 foot high crosses is that a failure of execution (the players) rather than the tactic? I can't imagine PW said keep crossing it but make sure they're too high. 🤷‍♀️

It's all in the instructions. He should be telling them to cross the balls in too high, and to pick out their men in the box. Then our crosses would end up at the perfect height and would find our own players every time.