Crewe Alexandra versus Derby County - Match Day Thread ( FA Cup 1st Round )

S8TY

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Asked for his assessment of the game, Warne said: "We got away with one but I felt as if we didn't at least get a draw they would have got away with one because I thought we were smoking them.

I thought we played really well and I am hugely disappointed we didn't stop the cross (first Crewe goal) and it was poor defending from us. I've been involved in a lot of games where you're in the ascendancy all it takes is one opportunity when you're not mentally sharp and that caused a problem for us.

But we had some unbelievable chances and it didn't feel like it was going to go in. That's the truth. I was disappointed with the second goal we conceded. But the lads kept going and in certain games this year we've been a bit questioned, but I thought they answered the questions today.

Even if we'd lost 2-0 and I know the fans will think I'm off my nut, but I would have still been proud of the performance. I was. But I generally thought we played really well and controlled the game. But to get a draw feels like a win, even though I know it isn't. We're still in the hat and now we have another game in a few days' time."

Which game was he watching?

Overall we didnt play too badly, got in enough positions to have won the game but our final ball lacked the quality needed.

Not sure too much can be laid at Warne's door today in terms of how we played, he went with the same 11 that put 4 past Northampton & had every reason to expect as good a performance from them. However, the way Crewe defended was different to Northampton meaning we didnt really have too much space to play through the middle, we did try at times but the centre of the pitch was crowded.

My small gripes with Warne today are that he should have hooked Fozzy at half time. Also, not sure why he took Bradley off for Cashin & why he didnt leave Washington up front with Collins alongside him. But I guess his changes helped us pull it back to 2-2.

I do think overall we need to switch Smith & Hourihane around though. Smith can dictate play from deep like Hourihane but Hourihane offers more around the box than Smith does...hence his goal today & his goal vs Burton.

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

So we chucked the money at Bradley instead? Goals cost money, always have. We could have sold him on if he'd scored us to promotion. 

He came on a free and arrived with a fanfare iirc.

Its probably not as easy as simply saying we could have sold him on if he's on a decent wage (+ promotion pay rise) for 3yrs.  If its his final big contract, he might just want to milk it.  Hence character questions?

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I support the club, not any one individual within it. I want what is best for the club. I believe that the best thing for DCFC would be finding a more suitable manager.

Clowes disagrees, which is his prerogative, it's his money on the line. I reckon sticking with Warne will cost Clowes a fortune in the long run.

Interested to know why you think he will cost Clowes a fortune?

Id hazard a guess that the last 2 seasons have probably yielded some of our best financial results in the past 20 years.

2 hours ago, oodledoodle said:

You're right. Apart from attacking, or defending, we did ok.

That was nowhere near good enough against Crewe reserves. It's a meaningless game, but we were just doing the same thing again and again and again. Rubbish.

Should be able to finish them off at home . Then a nice home game against B Rovers , before we bring  a Big Prem team to a full PPS.Cup fever .

31 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

So we chucked the money at Bradley instead? Goals cost money, always have. We could have sold him on if he'd scored us to promotion. 

Few clubs pay transfer fees at L1 level and if we had to give him away, few clubs would be able to afford to match his wages.

I think we've been down that road before haven't we?

33 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah I’m happy to worry about players being good enough for the championship when we get promoted!!

currently we have a fair number not pulling any trees up in league one

2 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Few clubs pay transfer fees at L1 level and if we had to give him away, few clubs would be able to afford to match his wages.

I think we've been down that road before haven't we?

Been down what road, buying players? We've only got Washy for free if things don't go well? Goal scorers are always in demand. Anyway hardly looking to pay Anya sort of money! 😄

3 minutes ago, Rich3478 said:

Yeah I’m happy to worry about players being good enough for the championship when we get promoted!!

currently we have a fair number not pulling any trees up in league one

The point was about paying for a goal scorer who maybe wanted a three year deal. We gave the manager longer! 😄

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Been down what road, buying players? We've only got Washy for free if things don't go well? Goal scorers are always in demand. Anyway hardly looking to pay Anya sort of money! 😄

If you're struggling with memory loss, you might benefit from one of those microchips they implant in cats.

So Paul Warne thinks we were “smoking them”, whatever that means, but if we hadn’t equalised they would have “smoked us”. Well actually Warne has “smoked us” instead. As I said earlier lots if people on here think we played well, with many thinking we played “on the floor football”. The truth is he got us playing football into midfield, at which point we reverted to type by going wide and flinging crosses in, to a single striker who is shorter than all the defenders. At least Warne realised, and replaced him with Collins, who is only taller courtesy of him wearing his hair in a quiff at the front. 🙄

We allegedly had an absolute feast of shots on goal, but I must ask how many saves did their keeper have to make? And how much of our apparent good play was actually our good play? And how much was it that Crewe let us play like  that obecause they knew that as sure as eggs is eggs and Paul Warne is Paul Warne and we would revert to depending on crosses which his gargantuan defenders would cope with easily?

Or: can’t score for toffee? I know what: let’s leave who, in Warne’s own words, is the best finisher at the club on the bench, only reluctantly bringing him on because Nyambe got injured. Our strikers struggling against giant defenders?  What about Browne? He knows what it is like to score regularly. And if you could convert him into bricks, you could build a very impressive outside building of a certain type! But no, lets go with the shorties instead.

Yes we did keep the ball on the floor towards the end, which is when we finally started to threaten. But even then we were taking too many touches before trying to feed the ball through, so we were still letting their defence get into place before trying to create something. And when Sibley did get on, we didn’t give him the ball and ket him run at the defence. No, it was still going out wide to be crossed in. But Sibley did get an assist, steering the ball to Hourihane when it would otherwise have run through to yet another Crewe defender. So in his last 3 or 4 games Sibley has scored 2 goals and got 2 assists. So why is he still getting dumped to the bench?

After Tuesday night we were all full of beans, not because of Warne’s tactical  genius, but because he let the players do what they are good at. Maybe he had finally got the message and the corner had been turned. I had my doubts at the time, and was right to do so because today was same old, same old. Albeit with a slightly different coat to make it look like football, but it was still Warne-ball.

DAMM!

Edited by DavesaRam

1 minute ago, DavesaRam said:

So Paul Warne thinks we were “smoking them”, whatever that means, but of we hadn’t equalised they would have “smoked us”. Well actually Warne has “smoked us” instead. As I said earlier lots if people on here think we played well, with many thinking we played “on the floor football”. The truth is he got us playing football into midfield, at which point we reverted to type by going wide and flinging crosses in, to a single striker who is shorter than all the defenders. At least Warne realised, and replaced him with Collins, who is only taller courtesy of him westing his hair in a quiff at the front. 🙄

We allegedly had an absolute feast if shots in goal, but I must ask how saves did their keeper have to make? And how much of our apparent good play was actually our good play? And how much was it that Crewe let us play like  because they knew that as sure as eggs is eggs and Pail Warne is Paul Warne and we would revert to depending on crosses which his gargantuan defenders would cope with easily?

Or: can’t score for toffee? I know what: let’s leave who, in Warne’s own words is the best finisher at the club on the bench, only reluctantly bringing him on because Nyambe got injured. Our strikers struggling against giant defenders?  What about Browne? He knows what it is like to score regularly. And if you could convert him into bricks, you could build a very impressive outside building of a certain type! But no, lets go with the shorties instead.

Yes we did keep the ball in the floor towards the end, which is when we finally started to threaten. But even then we were taking too many touches before truing to feed the ball through, so we were still letting their defence get into place before trying to create something. And when Sibley did get on, we didn’t give him the ball and ket him run at the defence. No, it was still going out wide to be crossed in. But Sibley did get an assist, steering the ball to Hourihane when it would otherwise have run through to yet another Crewe defender. So in his last 3 or 4 games Sibley has scored 2 goals and got 2 assists. So why is he still getting dumped to the bench?

After Tuesday night we were all full of beans, not because of Warne’s tactical  genius, but because he let the players do what they are good at. Maybe he had finally got the message and the corner had been turned. I had my doubts at the time, and was right to do so because today was same old, same old. Albeit with a slightly different coat to make it look like football, but it was still Warne-ball.

DAMM!

It really wasn't same old same old, you must be watching a different game to me,,,what was same old was our wasteful woeful finishing especially Barks who I still think gives us something. playing like we did today all we need is a good striker also Washington is a good foil for a good striker