January Reinforcements

sage

I'm happy with having 4 players on the leader board for assists.

Could we expect better performances from certain players if warne didn't always play the same tactics.

As i said earlier Adams is not a good replacement for Bird but if the clubs not willing to pay proper transfer fees, we can see the result of that.

I thought that Adams was signed to provide cover for Bird.

I thought that Blackett-Taylor was signed as a striker to provide cover for Collins.

I wonder if we will see a repeat of last year where as Warne admits, our players were just to tired to get the results at the end of the season. Only time will tell

Screenshot_20240202_073840_Samsung Internet.jpg

12 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Why send Brown out on loan?

Warne missed a valuable opportunity to integrate the youth into the team in the Pizza Cup. Brown and Weston both could have got more minutes, but alas, Warne knows best.

We entered the window with 3 fit strikers, we exit with just 1. 

That is on Warne and Warne only.

So you want to class Weston as a striker to beat Paul Warne with but then not as a striker once again to beat Paul Warne with. Unbelievable.

12 minutes ago, Oldben said:

I'm happy with having 4 players on the leader board for assists.

Could we expect better performances from certain players if warne didn't always play the same tactics.

As i said earlier Adams is not a good replacement for Bird but if the clubs not willing to pay proper transfer fees, we can see the result of that.

I thought that Adams was signed to provide cover for Bird.

I thought that Blackett-Taylor was signed as a striker to provide cover for Collins.

I wonder if we will see a repeat of last year where as Warne admits, our players were just to tired to get the results at the end of the season. Only time will tell

Screenshot_20240202_073840_Samsung Internet.jpg

So you think Adams and Bird are similar players, and CBT and Collins are similar players.

I'd do some research on the players first.

2 hours ago, WestLondonRam said:

What selling to Bristol ? 
Doubt it, we spent naff all on a needed striker yet sold one of our assets to a team we hope to be above next year. Ambitious that .. 

the lad is out of contract , not signing another one He would be gone in the summer anyway. If DCFC have got a better deal than the development compo they would have received I don’t think they had any choice but to do that deal 

8 hours ago, dantheram said:

Strange comparison. We’re a million miles off being at that level now, what’s more concerning is that we’re acting like a mid table League one side. 

This was in reply to a post about Rosenior rather than the clubs directly 

8 hours ago, dantheram said:

Edited by Sheepinthedales
Error

For me the biggest duck up ( raised my concerns at the time ) was extending tjj contract , it’s was a dot on the cards that a couple of games in he would be out for the rest of the season , in my mind it wasn’t even a gamble and it muddied the waters , we should have let the lad go and been focused on finding a replacement and maybe a surprise to some but I lay that at warnes door , it’s ok being nice and it has it s advantages but in football management you also need to be ruthless when it matters🤷🏻‍♂️

Like everyone else I'm disappointed that we couldn't get a striker over the line, but all this talk about the worst ever transfer window needs to be put into context.

Since the start of the window we have signed Nyambe, who we all feared would be on his bike. We did sign a striker in TJJ, who's fitness would have been assessed by the club or we could have let him go back to Arsenal spend the money on Smith only for him to possibly pick up an injury. Statistically, CBT seems to be an exciting signing which could go a long way to preventing burnout in players like NML. Likewise, Adams will hopefully give the midfield a boost.

Crucially we feared losing Cashin and/or. Bird for the run in, which hasn't happened. The extra money from Bird will go into the summer transfer pot.

Hopefully, we will soon see Washington and Waggy back and Brown benefiting from some adult game time when he returns.

I think that we were one, admittedly important, signing away from a good transfer window, but it could have been so much worse.

10 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

the lad is out of contract , not signing another one He would be gone in the summer anyway. If DCFC have got a better deal than the development compo they would have received I don’t think they had any choice but to do that deal 

interested to know the basis for how much you think that the independent tribunal would have valued him at. 

Bristol don't need him currently so hopefully have paid up in order to stop a bidding war in the summer.  There so many things I don't understand.  Why sell him now, why loan him back, why do we need the money now, if Bristol  think there will be a bidding war why didn't we just hang on?  I currently can think of nothing that makes this a good deal, perhaps someone else can suggest something

11 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Like everyone else I'm disappointed that we couldn't get a striker over the line, but all this talk about the worst ever transfer window needs to be put into context.

Since the start of the window we have signed Nyambe, who we all feared would be on his bike. We did sign a striker in TJJ, who's fitness would have been assessed by the club or we could have let him go back to Arsenal spend the money on Smith only for him to possibly pick up an injury. Statistically, CBT seems to be an exciting signing which could go a long way to preventing burnout in players like NML. Likewise, Adams will hopefully give the midfield a boost.

Crucially we feared losing Cashin and/or. Bird for the run in, which hasn't happened. The extra money from Bird will go into the summer transfer pot.

Hopefully, we will soon see Washington and Waggy back and Brown benefiting from some adult game time when he returns.

I think that we were one, admittedly important, signing away from a good transfer window, but it could have been so much worse.

impressed with your positivity.

So much worse?  Only if Cashin had been sold at 1050 last night and we had the joy of carrying that money through to the summer.  IMO we have lost Bird, he as a loanee is less that he was 24 hours ago.  CBT cost us 300k and left us running on gas by the looks of it.  Adams, played very little in the last year and ignoring that injury will be still an injury risk whilst he gains match fitness.

2 minutes ago, ram59 said:

I don't think it's the worst transfer window ever but I think there is a bit of evidence, and a whole lot of assumption, that we might see this as a missed opportunity come May.

This is based on the perception that teams around us have strengthened. Yes they have added bodies but only results are a true metric of strengthened. There is also Warnes words about last January still ringing which for reasons to be told seem to have happened again. Thirdly, the league is so incredibly open and it seems these teams around us are looking at this season as their best chance in recent times. When stevenage have a realistic chance of the play offs, you can see the logic.

I don't think we'll make top 2 purely because after half a season, we've not been in there at all and we seem to be extracting every ounce of quality as is from a team which looks to be blowing from every orifice with 3 months of the season to go. However, I'd expect heads to roll, particularly bald ones, if we fail to win, let alone make, the play offs

2 minutes ago, Sheepinthedales said:

I don't think it's the worst transfer window ever but I think there is a bit of evidence, and a whole lot of assumption, that we might see this as a missed opportunity come May.

This is based on the perception that teams around us have strengthened. Yes they have added bodies but only results are a true metric of strengthened. There is also Warnes words about last January still ringing which for reasons to be told seem to have happened again. Thirdly, the league is so incredibly open and it seems these teams around us are looking at this season as their best chance in recent times. When stevenage have a realistic chance of the play offs, you can see the logic.

I don't think we'll make top 2 purely because after half a season, we've not been in there at all and we seem to be extracting every ounce of quality as is from a team which looks to be blowing from every orifice with 3 months of the season to go. However, I'd expect heads to roll, particularly bald ones, if we fail to win, let alone make, the play offs

I doubt he will be sacked.  DC gave him a contract and will be reluctant to pay the compo to him and his team.  That money will not be in the budget.

We are missing a striker, that's obvious to everyone involved. The loan option was the right move because why would you sign a permanent striker when Collins doesn't need replacing? We needed a back up who could rotate when Collins got tired. Warne didn't think Brown was ready, hence why he left on loan to gain experience. 

Putting my pretend football manager hat on, why not approach a young player on loan who wouldn't be a starter but have some energy to come off the bench and compete with Collo? I couldn't get my head around why we insisted on trying to look at the Sheff Weds old boys when it was pretty nailed on they would not move unless we gave them silly loan fees.

We have been unlucky though. Ennis was taken off us by Stoke at the last moment. JJ doing his hamstring again. Washington injured on international duty. I just don't think it was the right call to let Brown leave on loan without bringing someone else in. He might have proved himself as a really useful option. But letting him leave without a replacement beforehand was a huge mistake. Collins is one bad tackle away and then we have no strikers for a number of games. We are risking having to rush back Washington.

Happy with the two lads we signed. In comparison to our rivals, I don't think we have had a great transfer window and I do think this will come back to haunt us again. Whether that's Warne being stubborn on his targets or our recruitment team not getting deals over the line. We will never know.

Like most supporters on here I am disappointed we haven't signed a striker in this window. I believe we have been trying but have not been able to match what the clubs/players/agents wanted. Money talks obviously and also how Warne would like to see them play. It's a combination of all these elements that have ultimately left us where we are now. Players choosing to play for other clubs who perhaps pay more wages/incentives fair enough. We haven't perhaps the pulling power we think we have. With Bird going and hopefully 2.5 million in the bank I would rather see that money well spent than on a knee jerk signing. I for one will have my total commitment to the Rams and, with a bit of luck, we should be playing in a higher league next season. Then we can put two fingers up to the players who have turned us down.UTR.