January Reinforcements

sage

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Did you listen?

I did.

My jibe isn't cheap, he already talks of it being a difficult window, not looking forward to it..but then says it isn't difficult to sign players. 

Were my jibes last January cheap also? I see Warne admits the concerns I had were actually correct.

With so many nearing the end of their contracts, I fully expect it to be a difficult window in balancing the offers against going for promotion and the consequences of such decisions, do you not agree ?

49 minutes ago, TheRamOfSwad said:

"I don't think there is a lack of aspiration to spend money," manager Warne told BBC Sport.

"But there is a lack of energy to go down the same route that it has gone before, because obviously the club was in trouble.

"With the players we have signed, they haven't been on contracts of the previous regime and we are trying to make a club that is going to be successful - but sustainably successful. And that's maybe not as sexy as it has been in the past.

"I do think there is money to spend, but not of the eye-watering transfer money that happened in the previous regime..."

3 hours ago, David said:

Exactly.

I'm yet to hear a manager in December say that they will have a fantastic January transfer window, everyone get hyped.

The less he says, the less he can be pulled up on if things don't materialise as he hoped, then used as a stick to beat him with.

Warne said something similar last year.

I think his words were "it's like Christmas shopping" and he said how excited he was.

2 hours ago, Returning ram said:

With so many nearing the end of their contracts, I fully expect it to be a difficult window in balancing the offers against going for promotion and the consequences of such decisions, do you not agree ?

Agree. With things going better now, do we gamble on going up - and sign some players that can hold their own in the Championship? We got £2.7 mill for Knight , a steady Championship player. Could we afford to buy a Striker with some of that money?

10 hours ago, Gerry Daly said:

The emergence of Wilson, Ward coming back, maybe JJ starting to make a contribution and NML looking fitter has given us an edge that we didn't have before. Depends who we lose in the window but from where we are now, I think we don't need much. I'd love to see a proper target man number 9 added to the squad, someone who can really get up and head it

Yep a striker to rotate with JJ and a winger to add depth would be my choice.

Obviously if we lose Cashin or Bird they would also need replacements.

20 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

In the PL they are pretty much all excellent footballers AND athletes. It’s much harder in this division to find players who are both. 

The Hourihane thing is bizarre. We have a manager who is constantly going on about kms run at pace. And yet game after game he selects a midfielder who can’t play that game and he allows him to be made captain !! You can argue he’s a worthwhile luxury item because of his delivery boy credentials but it risks demotivating the grafters 

It’s all relative , there’s players in league 1 who are athletes and talented footballers for this level , stick them in the prem you want to compare with and they are just athletes 

From Saturdays showing:

x1 LB - Forsyth won’t be here in the summer 

x1 RB - hopefully sign Nyambe 

x1 CM- we are crying out for someone with energy in the middle instead of hourihane- plus him, smith, sibley and bird are out of contract 

x1 Number 10- to run into the pockets of space 

x1 a tricky winger - Blacket Taylor or someone similar maybe even try Eboseli on loan 

x2 CFs - wash out injured , Collins not good enough and waghorn’s short contract expires in January

Well simmo the thread is called January reinforcements so we sure aren't getting that. I reckon we will get 2 players, but perhaps up to 4 if Bird and Cashin leave. But for the summer we are going to need at least that sort of list. I'm really hoping all those out of contract that were brought in after admin are let go plus anyone else over 30 who is out of contract. I think those players are all on big contracts, we had to offer really good money to get them to come because we were desperate. I think we will be in a good position to really strengthen the squad with much younger players in the summer even if we are still in this division 

Id definitely offer NML a new contract in the Summer - for me he's been excellent.

I'd also offer Fozzy a contract if we don't go up - even if it's planned as cover - he still plays a lot of games and can play LB or CB - it may be a lower offer and he may turn it down but if he was 26 and playing like he is nobody would question if we should keep him.   

4 hours ago, simmoram1995 said:

From Saturdays showing:

x1 LB - Forsyth won’t be here in the summer 

x1 RB - hopefully sign Nyambe 

x1 CM- we are crying out for someone with energy in the middle instead of hourihane- plus him, smith, sibley and bird are out of contract 

x1 Number 10- to run into the pockets of space 

x1 a tricky winger - Blacket Taylor or someone similar maybe even try Eboseli on loan 

x2 CFs - wash out injured , Collins not good enough and waghorn’s short contract expires in January

Who's Eboseli? We certainly won't have a chance of signing our academy graduate, Festy Ebosele. He's played in every league game this season in Serie A, starting 12 out of the last 13 games (half time sub in the other)

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Who's Eboseli? We certainly won't have a chance of signing our academy graduate, Festy Ebosele. He's played in every league game this season in Serie A, starting 12 out of the last 13 games (half time sub in the other)

B4 would have said we could, maybe Simmo is stepping in to his shoes 😊