January Reinforcements

sage

13 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Back in 1979, I was offered a Triumph Stag, known for their problems, or I could buy my mother's 4 year Ford that had been trouble free from new. I went for the safe option buying the Ford...................................................and had nothing but problems and breakdowns with it. I always regretted taking the safe option. Nothing is certain in life.

I also think you dodged a bullet not getting the Triumph Stag lol 😂 

I got told in the summer (along with other information which ended up being spot on) that Warne cannot stand Collins & did his best to get him gone so would expect him to be moved on in Jan if possible.

I think the likes of Collins, Hourihane, Barkhuizen & NML are all taking a fair chunk of the wage budget between them.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if that's true.Liam Rosenior had to put together the best team he could in record time and I'm sure that meant paying higher in some players wages to get them through the door which I guess is fully understandable for that moment in time.

17 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

I got told in the summer (along with other information which ended up being spot on) that Warne cannot stand Collins & did his best to get him gone so would expect him to be moved on in Jan if possible.

I think the likes of Collins, Hourihane, Barkhuizen & NML are all taking a fair chunk of the wage budget between them.

19 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

One of these he seems to put on the pitch at every given opportunity and the other he made his Captain!

Oh wait - that was the players, wasn't it!

23 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

With his startling ability to keep appearing out wide rather than in the box, along with his exocet placement over the bar at 100mph when a side foot into the net will do, I fear that move won't come till the summer.  He scored a good goal against Blackpool but not sure that will hold much in transfer or loan value in January.

37 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

I thought Warne had tried to sign Collins for Rotherham?

14 hours ago, ram59 said:

Back in 1979, I was offered a Triumph Stag, known for their problems, or I could buy my mother's 4 year Ford that had been trouble free from new. I went for the safe option buying the Ford...................................................and had nothing but problems and breakdowns with it. I always regretted taking the safe option. Nothing is certain in life.

And the lesson is,,,,,,,, never trust family ,,,, mother or no mother🤷🏻‍♂️

13 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

With his startling ability to keep appearing out wide rather than in the box,

Something that seems to affect all of our strikers, but is only picked up on when Collins does it.

I reckon our strikers often find themselves out wide because if they weren't there we'd see the ball go out of play an extraordinary amount or our wingers doubled / ganged up on and struggling to get the cross over.

There's no use Collins being in the box to get on the end of crosses if Collins being in the box means the crosses don't get into the box in the first place. He needs to be playing as part of a 2 up top where the other striker can ho help out the winger.

14 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

While they're obviously players who will be on good wages, we were still able to bring in 10 permanent signings nearly all of who will be on comparative levels of pay, IMO, so 'a fair chunk' perhaps, but the majority of our budget will still be going toward Warne's signings.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

14 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

With his startling ability to keep appearing out wide rather than in the box, along with his exocet placement over the bar at 100mph when a side foot into the net will do, I fear that move won't come till the summer.  He scored a good goal against Blackpool but not sure that will hold much in transfer or loan value in January.

collins wanders about chasing the ball because of what he is,a low quality worker that scores the odd goal.good strikers instinctively know where to be to score,i would love collins to work less and score more,but it aint going to happen

40 minutes ago, TINMANTED said:

collins wanders about chasing the ball because of what he is,a low quality worker that scores the odd goal.good strikers instinctively know where to be to score,i would love collins to work less and score more,but it aint going to happen

Agree - was interesting listening to Daniel Sturridge on MNF this week explaining what positions a striker should take up in the box, and why.  Instinct, understanding of where your team mate is going to pass, understanding of who may be following in behind you (your AM) so move in to create space, to name a few.  Sadly I don't think Collins is anywhere near this. 

21 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

400-500 K to bring Marriott back ?.  Averaging about 1 in 2 since going to Fleetwood.  He'll get 20 goals in this division given Collins chances.  Oxford had a 700k plus bid accepted but not completed before the window shut and we're a few months down the line.

Needs to take 10 shots per goal and is an injury risk. No thanks.

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

400-500 K to bring Marriott back ?.  Averaging about 1 in 2 since going to Fleetwood.  He'll get 20 goals in this division given Collins chances.  Oxford had a 700k plus bid accepted but not completed before the window shut and we're a few months down the line.

Interesting shout.  I wouldn't if I'm honest but he does score goals at this level. 

Having watched much of the Crewe game back, it really did highlight bizarrely how little we offer going forward.  Washington nor Collins didn't get any change out of the young Crewe centre backs, but most of all, our movement up front was very poor - no attacking the near post, no delaying the run to attack the ball or taking players underneath for someone to target the back.  NML did it for his header second half which he should have buried, then we did start to pull crosses back for midfielders to run on to, for how CH scored. 

I'm still harping on how we never replaced Didzy, and I feel a more powerful striker, or one with subtle movement would score a hatful for us.  

Depending on TJJ then I think we also need some raw pace up front so I'd be looking for two strikers in January.  Jebbison on loan from Sheffield United would be one of those for me. 

It also struck me, how few sides play two up front these days.  Talking of Marriott (and Collins), their best goalscoring periods seemed to come when playing as a pair up front, but the trend in Football these days is one up front with a deeper number 10 / midfielder.  We have signed them both, Marriott we paid well over the top, but then played them up front on their own.

Going to be an interesting window.

Gangway D from the Terrace 

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Needs to take 10 shots per goal and is an injury risk. No thanks.

He can't be getting that many chances at Fleetwood.  Saw his goals and finishes at a higher level and in pressure games.  I'd take him over any forward we've got.  He had a bad spell when he was in the Sibley zone re pressured game time. With a decent midfielder providing chances, he'll get goals.