Derby County versus Northampton Town (H) Match Thread

S8TY

3 minutes ago, r4derby said:

Making the trip over the A52 for this, not been able to much recently. Wouldn’t say I’m excited, I’d almost call it a ‘trudge’ this evening. But I keep reminding myself - I felt so low a few years ago when I wasn’t sure what would happen to our club. I’ve still got that club, and I can go, so I should.

Would like to see some more play ‘between the lines’, instead of the one dimensional attack of get it wide. At least have an inside option for the winger to drive into the box.

That only works if there's any movement central. We have strikers who don't move or want the ball, and a huge void in anything in attacking midfield.

Just now, Srg said:

That only works if there's any movement central. We have strikers who don't move or want the ball, and a huge void in anything in attacking midfield.

While I agree, we need to see the players try something different. They’re far too predictable. Even a winger driving inside and not crossing it could throw the defenders, as we’re not up against world class. NML and Barkhuizen have both got the ability to knock it past a player. Giving the defender any sort of uncertainty will give the wide players an extra second to play a better cross etc. 

Just now, r4derby said:

While I agree, we need to see the players try something different. They’re far too predictable. Even a winger driving inside and not crossing it could throw the defenders, as we’re not up against world class. NML and Barkhuizen have both got the ability to knock it past a player. Giving the defender any sort of uncertainty will give the wide players an extra second to play a better cross etc. 

Isn't this up to Warne to set the side up to do this, though? There's been several games at home now where teams have figured out our lack of anything in the central areas and have funneled us wide where our crossing is bad or our lack of a competent striker means we do nothing with it. The Cambridge game was a blueprint for this. We were desperate for something centrally, so he brought Sibley on and put him out wide left. Baffling.

6 minutes ago, Srg said:

Isn't this up to Warne to set the side up to do this, though? There's been several games at home now where teams have figured out our lack of anything in the central areas and have funneled us wide where our crossing is bad or our lack of a competent striker means we do nothing with it. The Cambridge game was a blueprint for this. We were desperate for something centrally, so he brought Sibley on and put him out wide left. Baffling.

Yes, that’s his job. I hope we see that tonight, even if it’s the players taking something into their own hands.

Just now, r4derby said:

Yes, that’s his job. I hope we see that tonight, even if it’s the players taking something into their own hands.

I'd love to see him do something radical, but we know he won't. Include Brown, include Robinson etc. These guys are the future, not the old men who aren't performing and won't be here next year.

21 minutes ago, Srg said:

I thought Warne has previously said he doesn't care if we get run through in midfield? I assumed that was why we set up as we do. Don't know, equally baffled. Ludicrous to believe this man knows what he is actually doing.

23 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

What plenty of people have been saying about James Collins (minus the comfortably best finisher bit) but most of the time he's still everywhere except the penalty area when chances emerge. I think he'd be a much more effective finisher and player for us if he was told to cut out the build up the play, which he's not that good at anyway, and goal hang a bit more.  

Similar, but not quite the same for Hoskins. We had James Collins on loan when we won L2 with Chris Wilder (someone who I think would be well suited to you!) and his pressing was a fantastic aspect of his game, but as you say his build up play was never the best part of his game. 

Hoskins is a winger, but often would be found tracking so far back throughout the game to help the team. He still does that, but less frequently and is more like to take a lesser quality shot on at times, which I am more than happy with as our team is limited going forward.

I assume Tyrece Simpson will start tonight and to be honest he has been dreadful for us. His aerial win % is amongst the worst in the league and he just offers no clear benefit to the team despite his clear physical attributes. However he is all we have currently so i assume will start.

9 minutes ago, LoadofCobblers said:

Similar, but not quite the same for Hoskins. We had James Collins on loan when we won L2 with Chris Wilder (someone who I think would be well suited to you!) and his pressing was a fantastic aspect of his game, but as you say his build up play was never the best part of his game. 

Hoskins is a winger, but often would be found tracking so far back throughout the game to help the team. He still does that, but less frequently and is more like to take a lesser quality shot on at times, which I am more than happy with as our team is limited going forward.

I assume Tyrece Simpson will start tonight and to be honest he has been dreadful for us. His aerial win % is amongst the worst in the league and he just offers no clear benefit to the team despite his clear physical attributes. However he is all we have currently so i assume will start.

Collins was, what, 25 when he was with you? It shows he's no longer that.

Team selection will be interesting given his "freshen things up" comment.

Cashin suspended, Waghorn injured and can't see him starting Sibley.

NML fit enough to start again? Same question for Fozzy? Did Washington do enough to start over Collins?

Just now, Shuff264 said:

Team selection will be interesting given his "freshen things up" comment.

Cashin suspended, Waghorn injured and can't see him starting Sibley.

NML fit enough to start again? Same question for Fozzy? Did Washington do enough to start over Collins?

Richie Barker's done enough to start over Collins.

49 minutes ago, LoadofCobblers said:

That's him scoring a header then 😂

Edited by YorkshireRam

Like many I think it’s time for PW to cut his losses and go back to what he knows/wants. Might as well be hung for a sheep than a lamb!

Back 3 with Sibley at LWB - let’s be fair he’s been tidy and played the ball for NML’s goal Saturday, but otherwise he’s not taken his chance to the fullest again in attack. I’d play Fornah ahead of CH to add some steel and legs in midfield, but that won’t happen!

Vickers

Nyambe   Nelson   Bradley

Wilson       Hourihane       Sibley 

NML.             Bird.              Barks

Wash

Subs: Wildsmith, Foz, Elder, Ward, Waggy if fit. If not Brown, Fornah, Collins.

Foz as cover across the back 3 and Elder on if we drop to a 4. Allows Sibs to move up to 10 if needed, where he’ll obviously score to make my earlier point invalid!

Edited by DiggerB

23 hours ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Can’t remember who posted it but the most telling statistic from Saturday was that we had 23 crosses and won 8.5%, we won two crosses, I’ll just repeat that…..we won two crosses!

If we’re keeping to the same game plan…….might as well play Bradley at centre forward!

Or Thommo, even though he’s injured!

5 hours ago, Srg said:

I'd love to see him do something radical, but we know he won't. Include Brown, include Robinson etc. These guys are the future, not the old men who aren't performing and won't be here next year.

Aside from watching Collins and concluding that anything has got to be better what makes you think Brown is good enough?  I'm not fan of Warne but he sees the lad in training every day so you'd like to think he has more idea than us.

Just now, Blondest Goat said:

Aside from watching Collins and concluding that anything has got to be better what makes you think Brown is good enough?  I'm not fan of Warne but he sees the lad in training every day so you'd like to think he has more idea than us.

Just has the raw attributes in pace and power that this team needs, and seems to consistently score in our U21 team despite them not being great. Worst case scenario, he's no better. But he certainly won't be worse.