Are our players as good as most think ??I

27 minutes ago, Hector was the best said:

I keep hearing our players are a class above,what do you think.

I asked the same thing in a thread earlier today, keep reading we have the best squad in the league etc etc but I am not sure that is the case. What’s the view based on 🤔

Squad is OK. Most of our players are absolutely good enough to get promoted at this level, and most clubs would love to have a dozen or more of our squad.

Our problem is two-fold, in my opinion. 

Firstly we didn't get the striker we all felt we needed in the summer. Never mind losing McGoldrick, Collins is an extremely limited if willing player and needed replacing. We were linked with half a dozen and ended up not getting one over the line.

Secondly, we needed a midfield enforcer. Someone to snarl and bite and drive us. George Williams, Darryl Powell, Lee Carsley, Robbie van der Laan...a leader. Failed to sign one.

Upshot is we can play some nice bits and bobs, but we don't take advantage with goals at the end of it, and teams can get through us to easily at the ther end.

An unholy mix. If we'd signed one or the other, we'd be top 6. Both and we'd be top 2.

Graeme Shinnie and Jordan Rhodes would have done it.

Edited by MaltRam

I started a thread on this recently called, 'How good is our squad', for which I got berated by many on here.

Our squad is average, very average with a mix of journeymen professionals even at this level.

Granted, it's good enough for a play-off challenge, but it is not even close to being good enough for a top 2 challenge.

Nothing I have seen has changed my mind.

Too many over 30s players who are too samey and have gone past their best particularly in forward areas. Not helped by bringing in another 6-7 of that type of player in the summer. Yes we were shopping in B and M and getting others leftovers but overall should still make top 6. There is still a chance of that. All is not lost. 

24 minutes ago, oomarkwright said:

Too many over 30s players who are too samey and have gone past their best particularly in forward areas. Not helped by bringing in another 6-7 of that type of player in the summer. Yes we were shopping in B and M and getting others leftovers but overall should still make top 6. There is still a chance of that. All is not lost. 

How many over 30 is too many though…I always feel like we’re an old squad but are we?

On Saturday we had Wildsmith, Nyambe, Cashin, Bird, Sibley and Wilson all under 30. Nelson is only 5 months over 30. Average age of the starting 11 was 27. 

Fornah and Ward could arguably be classed as first 11 or pushing for it and are under 30.

NML is arguably our best/most effective player at the minute but over 30.

I just don’t feel like the age is the problem?

Edited by Mckram