Are our players as good as most think ??I

3 hours ago, NorwichExile said:

Every League 1 fan I've spoken to is amazed we're not fighting at the top. Some are shocked we're not walking the league. A Barnsley fan I know said that our bench would mostly all start for them weekly, let alone our starters. 

copy & paste for every team in this league i suspect

9 hours ago, angieram said:

I agree it happens and I would love to see someone come in and transform these players into a slick passing, goal-scoring machine.

But if someone comes in and we don't look any better, we're in deep trouble. 

We are 9th in the table with a game in hand. 

I have my worries that some of these players, whilst probably of championship standard, will always struggle against the attritional style of football played at this level. Changing the manager won't alter that. 

let's be honest, with this squad of players it would be a serious acheivement for us to be in a relegation battle. 

you say 9th in the table with a game in hand like its a good thing. We're in trouble right now. If we don't get promoted this season all our good players will leave and we'll be stuck in this division for a long time. 

7 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

We have a problem . To get a striker in January to shoot us up the table will take cash . Cashin and Bird are running their contracts down and having mediocre seasons. The chances of getting £2 mill, like we did for Knight , are looking very slim.

Mediocre? Bird? You're obviously watching different games to me.

And Cashin is 4th in performance stats in the whole league! 

The reason we won't get £4 million for either of them is that they've got six months' left on their contracts, that's all.

You make it sound like they are doing this deliberately to harm us. Nothing is further from the truth.

Everyone keeps saying we need a striker. Is this striker going to just create chances for themselves? I’m not sure what any striker is supposed to do if we continue to play this way. I agree with Phil Brown on Waghorn being an excellent striker at this level. He’s somehow managed 6 goals in 11 starts.

Our entire offensive play for the first 10 games of the season involved giving the ball to NML in RWB and hope he does something. In recent weeks we’ve resorted to simply long balling it and hoping our players can out fight the defender and it might fall to someone. What is a new striker meant to do?

4 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Everyone keeps saying we need a striker. Is this striker going to just create chances for themselves? I’m not sure what any striker is supposed to do if we continue to play this way. I agree with Phil Brown on Waghorn being an excellent striker at this level. He’s somehow managed 6 goals in 11 starts.

Our entire offensive play for the first 10 games of the season involved giving the ball to NML in RWB and hope he does something. In recent weeks we’ve resorted to simply long balling it and hoping our players can out fight the defender and it might fall to someone. What is a new striker meant to do?

We need pace definitely and a pacy striker will be able to make us play in a different way and chances will be created.

You can't be slow and be a professional footballer anymore. without pace counter attacking football is hard to execute. If we had like 3 or 4 players with the pace of NML we'd be a lot more dangerous 

38 minutes ago, TheRamOfSwad said:

We need pace definitely and a pacy striker will be able to make us play in a different way and chances will be created.

You can't be slow and be a professional footballer anymore. without pace counter attacking football is hard to execute. If we had like 3 or 4 players with the pace of NML we'd be a lot more dangerous 

How would pace have helped us in game like Stevenage for example who didn’t leave space behind? We’ve had pace with NML and Barkhuizen on the wings before and that hasn’t worked

22 hours ago, MadAmster said:

.... are you certain that the run didn't end when Max Bird got injured?

It may well have done, but he took the chance, having played 4 at the back, to go back to his 3 at the back with wing backs. It may have bern co-incidence, but it was injuries in the first place which forced him to go 4 at the back, which is when the good run started. We’ll perhaps never know which of the two stopped the run, maybe a bit of both.

31 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

How would pace have helped us in game like Stevenage for example who didn’t leave space behind? We’ve had pace with NML and Barkhuizen on the wings before and that hasn’t worked

Either go for someone like Chris Martin who can hold the ball up or win headers etc or someone quick cause we have neither of those players upfront. we have 3 strikers that are all sort of similar, same thing with our midfielders too much samey type players or at least they are being told to play that way 

33 minutes ago, TheRamOfSwad said:

Either go for someone like Chris Martin who can hold the ball up or win headers etc or someone quick cause we have neither of those players upfront. we have 3 strikers that are all sort of similar, same thing with our midfielders too much samey type players or at least they are being told to play that way 

The way some people are talking (not saying you are) we need a 6ft 5, 20 goal striker, who has pace and can out muscle defenders. That's Haaland or nobody. If you watch Bolton, their top scorer Dion Charles isn't particularly fast or strong but the team create chances for him. I'm sure if you put Waghorn in Bolton's team he'd do well. 

I agree with you in part about the midfielders, but I wouldn't say Fornah, Hourihane and Sibley are entirely the same kind of midfielder 

3 hours ago, angieram said:

Mediocre? Bird? You're obviously watching different games to me.

And Cashin is 4th in performance stats in the whole league! 

The reason we won't get £4 million for either of them is that they've got six months' left on their contracts, that's all.

You make it sound like they are doing this deliberately to harm us. Nothing is further from the truth.

I am sure they are both paying agents a good whack to advise them and will take that advice. Bird has moved further forward this season but his goals and assists tally doesn’t show that . If he is as good as some fans think he should be running rings round opponents in Tier 3.

19 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

Clowes would be a fool to give him any more money for transfers.

If he can't get this group of players to play 'football' he shouldn't be here.

Confirms my perception there's quite a few idiots on Twitter (or X or nutters' mouthpiece or whatever it's called these days)

3 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

We have a problem . To get a striker in January to shoot us up the table will take cash . Cashin and Bird are running their contracts down and having mediocre seasons. The chances of getting £2 mill, like we did for Knight , are looking very slim.

Bird and Cash mediocre?

Benny Hill What GIF