The mighty fallen

StantonRam

32 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Does anyone remember administration and 21 point deduction and nearly losing the club all together.

Yes but we can't keep wheeling that out as an excuse. The performances and tactics are not good enough for the personnel we do have. It's related sure but it doesn't absolve us of the issues on the pitch at the moment. We should be doing better with what little we do have.

1 minute ago, ThePrisoner said:

Yes but we can't keep wheeling that out as an excuse. The performances and tactics are not good enough for the personnel we do have. It's related sure but it doesn't absolve us of the issues on the pitch at the moment. We should be doing better with what little we do have.

I agree we should be doing better.  
But do we overestimate the abilities of the squad week in week out. 

2 hours ago, On the Ram Page said:

I guess someone who has been promoted 3 times from this league doesn’t know how to get out of it. We are where we are because of people’s expectations and demands that we match the glory days of the 70’s. Buying player after player for inflated amounts to satisfy chairmen, fans and reach those expectations. 

The news is we are starting again rebuilding the Club from its grass roots and it does take time. In 1967 when Brian Clough first came here, moving from 4th Diivision Hartlepools to 2nd Division Derby, his first season was underwhelming, we finished in a lower position ,18th, than the previous season. We didn’t start the next season that well and things only improved after we signed Willie Carlin. Not saying for a moment that Paul Warne is in Brian Clough’s league, but he needs and deserves time to achieve success.

I don't think anyone's demanded that to be honest. Most are clued up enough to realise that won't happen again short of a multi billionaire deciding Derby is going to be his new toy for 10 years.

We haven't won a league title since the 70's  but have had a competitive midtable top flight team on a few occasions that have been denied and occasionally dallied with a European place.  

That should be a realistic aim.  

45 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Does anyone remember administration and 21 point deduction and nearly losing the club all together.

I remember it.

Everyone was saying how they couldn't wait for it all to be over and how much of a relief it would be to stop talking about finances, Quantuma, the EFL Steve Gibson et al and get back talking about / arguing the toss over footballing matters like tactics, team selection and the performance of the players and the manager etc

Now we've got that and some people don't seem to like it, it's boring and repetitive and negative and unwelcome  and people need reminding that we were in administration, don't you know?

Edited by Kokosnuss

2 hours ago, Chellaston Ram said:

I agree I was brought up watching us in the 1970’ s and I am finding it hard to accept this situation at the moment 

In the early and middle 1960s we were no Man City if we avoided religation it was a good season, the problem with watching Derby in the 1970s is that since that time its like reverting back to a diet of jam sandwiches when you've been used to eating caviar.

Not that I particularly like caviar😖

1 minute ago, Kokosnuss said:

I remember it.

Everyone was saying how they couldn't wait for it all to be over and how much of a relief it would be to stop talking about finances, Quantuma, the EFL Steve Gibson et al and get back talking about / arguing the toss over footballing matters like tactics, team selection and and the performance of the players and the manager etc

Now we've got that and some people don't seem to like it, it's boring and repetitive and negative and unwelcome  and people need reminding that we were in administration, don't you know?

Fair enough.   Just think sometimes criticism is over the top that’s all 

22 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

In the early and middle 1960s we were no Man City if we avoided religation it was a good season, the problem with watching Derby in the 1970s is that since that time its like reverting back to a diet of jam sandwiches when you've been used to eating caviar.

Not that I particularly like caviar😖

Luxury...chip fat and salt sandwiches ☺️ 

1 hour ago, alram said:

I remember people saying they wouldn’t mind us going down because we get to go to some new grounds and win some more games that was pure nonsense at the time & even more nonsense with hindsight 

this league is a complete hellhole

It certainly is. Also those other classic quotes 'too soon to go up' consolidate in this league' 'and only we'd get relegated if we went up' what nonsense.

Brian Clough was a division 4 manager when he came here and wasn't a instant success, he and Taylor grew and improved with the club.

Warne is a league 1 manager currently and because of his time yo yoing with Rotherham, loads will say he's found his level. 

I'm not comparing him to Clough,  but whose to say that he can't learn and improve with us given the time?

Yet another disguised anti Warne thread that I've been sucked into with the same old arguments from the same old posters from either side, it's getting boring.

Can the mods rename the topics for what they are, I suggest this one should be 'Anti Warne Part 27' or if we want to keep in the same vein maybe 'Sam Rush Ate My Hamster'?

9 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Yet another disguised anti Warne thread that I've been sucked into with the same old arguments from the same old posters from either side, it's getting boring.

Can the mods rename the topics for what they are, I suggest this one should be 'Anti Warne Part 27' or if we want to keep in the same vein maybe 'Sam Rush Ate My Hamster'?

Doesn’t it show what a strong anti-Warne feeling there is amongst all the fans ?

Long road back that's going to involve some fair bit of grind, all part of the journey.

I think what's some of what's working it's way out at the moment is not just the frustration with PW and the current team (although they are frustraiting) but also everything built up over 15 or so years. We not a disaster, just not where we need to be either with plenty of the season left.

String together a few wins and things will feel better.

The right set of results could see us...what 4 points away from automatic promotion? With 30 odd games left?

The negativity is just not in line with what I'm seeing. A few more poor results and 10-15 points away from automatic and 6-10points from the play offs, with over half the season gone and I'd understand the abject despair that seems to permeate every thread. 

1 hour ago, The Last Post said:

Luxury...chip fat and salt sandwiches ☺️ 

I don’t think even in the early 60s our performances could be likened to chip fat and salt sandwiches, that’s taking it a little too far 🤢🤢🤢😂😂

I don’t get the “we should be beating sides like this” remarks, we are a division 1 club playing other division 1 clubs. We may have a better stadium, infrastructure and attendance than other clubs but what matters is what happens on the pitch.

Edited by Elwood P Dowd