The mighty fallen

StantonRam

56 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Brian Clough was a division 4 manager when he came here and wasn't a instant success, he and Taylor grew and improved with the club.

Warne is a league 1 manager currently and because of his time yo yoing with Rotherham, loads will say he's found his level. 

I'm not comparing him to Clough,  but whose to say that he can't learn and improve with us given the time?

How long did it take to see evidence of that with Cloughie and how long has Warne already had?

14 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

I don’t think even in the early 60s our performances could be likened to chip fat and salt sandwiches, that’s taking it a little too far 🤢🤢🤢😂😂

I don’t get the “we should be beating sides like this” remarks, we are a division 1 club playing other division 1 clubs. We may have a better stadium, infrastructure and attendance than other clubs but what matters is what happens on the pitch.

Jam Sandwiches=Chip Fat n Salt Sandwiches...we were poor 😉

2 hours ago, alram said:

I remember people saying they wouldn’t mind us going down because we get to go to some new grounds and win some more games that was pure nonsense at the time & even more nonsense with hindsight 

this league is a complete hellhole

Really, how many have you been to, I have enjoyed visiting new grounds.

Done them now though so I would be happy with promotion.

57 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Yet another disguised anti Warne thread that I've been sucked into with the same old arguments from the same old posters from either side, it's getting boring.

Can the mods rename the topics for what they are, I suggest this one should be 'Anti Warne Part 27' or if we want to keep in the same vein maybe 'Sam Rush Ate My Hamster'?

Make a new thread about something you actually want to discuss then?

Specific that discussing Paul Warne or any of the other coaches in that topic isn't 'allowed' / isn't the point of the thread and should be avoided.

1 hour ago, ram59 said:

Yet another disguised anti Warne thread that I've been sucked into with the same old arguments from the same old posters from either side, it's getting boring.

Can the mods rename the topics for what they are, I suggest this one should be 'Anti Warne Part 27' or if we want to keep in the same vein maybe 'Sam Rush Ate My Hamster'?

There is one thing that would lead to far fewer anti-Warne threads.

5 hours ago, Chellaston Ram said:

I agree I was brought up watching us in the 1970’ s and I am finding it hard to accept this situation at the moment 

It is what it is mate, other big clubs have suffered this league and most have recovered, let’s give the club our whole hearted support, get out of this league and start the Rams revival

49 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

When you write chip fat I take it you mean Lard, chips cooked in lard are unhealthy but delicious 🤤 

Yep, It has to be used a few times, Then put in the pantry on the thrall...no fridges for us in the 60s, Cooled then dip in and spread on, Winter time was a bitch...try spreading rock solid fat 😁

4 hours ago, Alan Ramage 4 EVA said:

Just do what I do watch You tube replays of the RAMS from the 70s , listening to John Motson, Barry Davies ,and Hugh Johns. Wearing Ox blood Doc Martens a panda collar shirt and a Wrangler denim jacket with a silk scarf tied around my wrist .Chanting "come and have a go if you think your hard enough".

My Mrs has left me But  the dogs stuck by me (ATM) !

Were you in the Bay City Rollers?

I think some of the celebration since Tuesday night isn’t so much that we pue the mighty Exeter to the sword, byt kore that after over a year of almost incessant anti-football we managed to pit out an attacking team and actually played football.

Secondly, is the “Warne out” rhetoric less about hating the man and more a desire to see the club playing to its strengths instead of doing its best  not too?

We have the players to produce good football, so maybe Tuesday was a glimmer of hope that we are going to be a front-doit, entertaining side. Today will tell us if Tuesday’s hope will continue, or wether we will return to type and make Stevenage look like world beaters.

Come On You Rams and do the business today!

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

How long did it take to see evidence of that with Cloughie and how long has Warne already had?

Poor first season finishing 18th after being 4th at one stage.

Promoted 2nd season,  but 7th after 13 games. 

Longson did give him the money to spend though and we signed the likes of Macfarland, Carlin and Hinton in his first season. 

I'm neither pro nor anti Warne per se, and I do get the Clough analogies, but the plain fact is that, however bad things were (except for during the mid 1980s), this is the lowest, in league table terms, that we have ever been.

This would be acceptable had we still been in extremely dire financial straits, lucky to survive (OK we were), plummeting down the leagues, having to play half of the U21s each week (as we did for a while under NC and others), and with an inexperienced manager.  In those circumstances it's blind loyalty that counts, and we have collectively shown plenty of that in recent years, myself included.

Fortunately, none of the above are true now.  As I understand it, finances are now at least stable at this level, some good players have been brought in, and the home grown talent that we didn't have to sell is still here and still performing well for us at this level.  Plus we have a manager who supposedly knows this league like the back of his hand.

My point is that, given all those advantages, plus large home and away attendances, the PL standard infrastructure etc etc, I believe that we should be more competitive than we are.  I believe this is because, for whatever reason, the whole is still less than the sum of the parts, whereas for many of the frankly ordinary sides we encounter the reverse is true.

To return to my central point.  If PW, supposedly knowing this league and the teams in it, and with the advantage of a superior squad, can't at least scrape an away point at Shrewsbury and get 3 points at Cheltenham, then what exactly is all that knowledge achieving on the pitch, and where is the evidence of that knowledge being applied on the pitch - where it counts?

It does seem that many opposing teams, other than the most naive or unlucky, have sussed out how to contain us and/or beat us.  So, a manager with PW's alleged knowledge and nous should have a solution, at least sometimes.

I don't expect to win every game, even at this level, and despite the irritating verbally incontinent interviews I do still believe that PW is capable of getting us out of this swamp of mediocrity.  However, the signs are that once that has been achieved his days will be numbered.  I would love for him to prove me wrong, starting today.

17 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Poor first season finishing 18th after being 4th at one stage.

Promoted 2nd season,  but 7th after 13 games. 

Longson did give him the money to spend though and we signed the likes of Macfarland, Carlin and Hinton in his first season. 

Nelson, Fornah and Ward then? 😄

Seriously there hasn't been an inkling of advancement where Warne is concerned. We feel grateful that he finally kept the ball on the floor for a game but still didn't look as good as when he took over. 

3 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Knowledge??? 

3 years is your average contract. We’ve just come out of administration and we give a lengthy contract to a manager. 

Nice one for trying to be clever though. Your mum must be so proud. 

She's been dead for 58 years, nice one for trying to be clever though.