Sibley too good!

Brammie Steve

Interesting comments here because apart from the goal, Sibley was involved in the build up play for most of our chances first half - watch the highlights video. Nothing spectacular, just laying off the ball quickly and keeping the move flowing.

I also commented in the matchday thread about his work covering across the pitch for any Exeter breaks. He did this really well (not always noticed on TV as off the ball) and it was noticeable how much more open to the counter-attack we were when he went off. 

And he was playing very close to Waghorn, intentionally, by the look of it. Interesting his best pass was when he dropped deeper and found some space to play into. 

I thought he had a steady game, not as bad as some are making out. And of course, he is still building fitness after NO pre-season. 

52 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

He really needs to find a move to a mid table team somewhere who are happy to be plodding along a bit. Perhaps someone in Scotland would be a good fit?

Isn’t that how some people see us?! (Joking!) 

I’m happy to defend Sibley like I do Collins, he does a job for the team, puts a shift in, tackles, passes, shoots….tries 🤷🏻‍♂️ He’s not the second coming of Will Hughes, nor does he need to be, he’s a local lad playing his part in a Rams shirt and needs our support like the rest of em. (Not aimed at you @Kokosnuss)

I’m hoping Warne sticks to his previous comments of not changing a winning team for Saturday, I think there’s a lot to like about the way we looked on Tuesday night and would like to see him persistent with the shape and personnel (only maybe considering swapping out Wilson for Barks/Ward and Fornah could come into the middle)

49 minutes ago, angieram said:

Interesting comments here because apart from the goal, Sibley was involved in the build up play for most of our chances first half - watch the highlights video. Nothing spectacular, just laying off the ball quickly and keeping the move flowing.

I also commented in the matchday thread about his work covering across the pitch for any Exeter breaks. He did this really well (not always noticed on TV as off the ball) and it was noticeable how much more open to the counter-attack we were when he went off. 

And he was playing very close to Waghorn, intentionally, by the look of it. Interesting his best pass was when he dropped deeper and found some space to play into. 

I thought he had a steady game, not as bad as some are making out. And of course, he is still building fitness after NO pre-season. 

We went from Sibley at AM to Collins, so I can see why we lost that balance. I was surprised we didn't bring Fornah on to help with the press, but I can see the logic of having Collins there - as Washington drifted wide, Collins would sprint into the box, as highlighted by Washington's goal

Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

We went from Sibley at AM to Collins, so I can see why we lost that balance. I was surprised we didn't bring Fornah on to help with the press, but I can see the logic of having Collins there - as Washington drifted wide, Collins would sprint into the box, as highlighted by Washington's goal

Mmm, I did note to myself we lost a midfielder at the time, but that didn't suit my argument. 😂

14 hours ago, davenportram said:

The original poster appears to have spelt “bad” wrong and accidentally pit the word good

Sibley just runs with the ball until tackled. He can’t or won’t look up while the ball is at his feet, and as a result he neither shoots nor passes

Oh no I didn’t!

tom hiddleston GIF by BBC

Edited by Brammie Steve

4 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

Can't just have a quiet few games being part of a team can he? Probably because we're going for promotion and the pressure is on everyone to perform at the very least at a 6-7 every game, so a run of 5s with an occasional 8 isn't accepted.

Every time he steps onto the pitch it's all eyes on Louie, I can't say I've known many players who's every touch is analysed to such a degree.

He really needs to find a move to a mid table team somewhere who are happy to be plodding along a bit. Perhaps someone in Scotland would be a good fit?

I fully agree! Compare him with James Collins, whose job as a number 9 is to get on the end of crosses and score goals. Yet when the crosses come in, he isn’t there. Massively underperforms, but is consistently picked. To a lesser degree the same goes for Hourihane, which proves that it isn’t about just running around a lot. So why is Sibley put in the crosshairs all the time?

Sibley looked a very exciting prospect when he first broke through, and still scores goals that no-one else in our squad seems capable of in certain games. But overall I have to conclude that if he was as good as some fans here seem to think, he'd have nailed down a starting spot in a League One team by the age of 22. And it's not just Warne who hasn't picked him regularly.

1 hour ago, Magicman said:

He has had a run of games and shown his inconsistency continues bet he is not starting at Stevenage Leeds8

If my memory serves me correctly, he started against Notts County and the two games so far after the international break. It’s hardly a run of games, especially with a large break in between.

He played well against Exeter, the pass from midfield that started the move for the disallowed goal was brilliant.

Game by game he’s gotten better.

He’s one of the few players we have that’s capable of creating something out of nothing.

He’ll make you eat your word, I’m sure of it.

image.jpeg

I have often posted tongue in cheek or humorous (at least to me!) comments as an aged PopSider on this site. Yet I have never had so many laughing 😂 emojis as on here. Ironic as I started this topic in all seriousness!

Not since Frank Wignall (SuperSub) can I recall a player engendering such a range of controversial opinions.

I like and admire Louie and feel that his skills are underused in the present régime.

• 3 months later...