Pro Warne

Jram

1 minute ago, GangwayD said:

Warne has gone on record he loves a cross, and whilst it’s probably served him well over the years we don’t have the strike force. Collins has got on the end of an odd one but nowhere near enough. 

I agree in that at our goal and chances (Washington, Bird and Hourihane) came from the bit of Football we played so either the players are not capable of doing this consistently or the manager does not want too or can’t coach them. 

Worryingly a couple of players look completely out of sorts. He also seems to hook or drop the same players. 

I almost feel sorry for him, as he’s starting to look a broken man. 

I’m really split on wether he should go now or let’s evaluate come December - could we trust him with another transfer window knowing how many are going to be at out contract or will probably move on. 

They might not be listening but the outside noise must be deafening…

Gangway D from the terrace 

How can you stick with a manager who insists on playing a way that doesn't suit our strikers? It isn't even a few crosses, it's constant, plus long throws too into the box. 

How can you feel sorry for such an obstinate man who is coming across as 'footballing stupid'? It's nearly all his doing.

What happened in the second half? Who was playing where and for how long?! Can't let this man buy anymore wingbacks or players for his bankrupt system.

Out now while there is still a chance at top2.

26 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Not many were enjoying the Cocu, Rosenior football though which kept possession and did not score. The people wanting Rosenior back do not really want what we had, but are hoping that it could eventually turn into something better than it was.

The thing is, it’s obvious how that Cocu/Rosenior stuff turns into really good football - it really doesn’t take that much, just move it slightly quicker, be a bit smarter in when to take risks or not, just tiny improvements really, a lot of which would have come from just playing together more (especially the Rosenior era). I have no clue what it would take to turn this team into a proper Warne team, but we seem a million miles away from it.

25 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

How can you stick with a manager who insists on playing a way that doesn't suit our strikers? It isn't even a few crosses, it's constant, plus long throws too into the box. 

How can you feel sorry for such an obstinate man who is coming across as 'footballing stupid'? It's nearly all his doing.

What happened in the second half? Who was playing where and for how long?! Can't let this man buy anymore wingbacks or players for his bankrupt system.

As we both have acknowledged, we have seem flashers of good football, but his insistent on crosses without the players to play this way is baffling - li don’t want us to play this way either. 

The most annoying thing there is nothing innovative - we just bang it in and hope someone gets on the end of it. Same with the long throws.

I saw a set routine at Peterborough away (Waghorn had a shot) but other than that, nothing.  Nelson’s long throws could be varied - huge space is offered for a feet return then work a more dangerous position but we just lob it on and hope for the best. 

DC employed him and it would be an admitting defeat, so I think he will stick with him, for now. 

As I stated he hooks or drops the same players and today he seemed to be trying to change things every two minutes to find a solution - the players must have been completely confused. 

I do feel sorry for him. In his interview he looked and sounded lost.  He will desperately want to succeed but i just can’t see it happening. 

I honestly don’t think we have a Top 2 squad (Defence is good, Midfield okay but wrong blend, Strikers, no chance) but we should be challenging and easily be play offs. 

Edited by GangwayD

1 minute ago, GangwayD said:

...I honestly don’t think we have a Top 2 squad (Defence is good, Midfield okay but wrong blend, Strikers, no chance) but we should be challenging and easily be play offs. 

I think we do - look how we went unbeaten last season. Warne had no idea how and why though. 😄 We need a manager who understands what players can and can't do and how to put that together as a team. Greater than the sum of its parts. We have a good to very good squad at this level.

35 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Bit like Wazza in his first season Macca, equally as bad 😉

39 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Unless you scrap the offside rule, how on earth do you set up a side to suit James Collins?

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think we do - look how we went unbeaten last season. Warne had no idea how and why though. 😄 We need a manager who understands what players can and can't do and how to put that together as a team. Greater than the sum of its parts. We have a good to very good squad at this level.

Brings me back to me banging on about not replacing Didzy.

His movement, taking the ball in tight areas, moving the ball quickly and/or spreading play, thus stretching the pitch, it helped the whole team as well as being a father figure to Dobbin and Will Osula, plus his goals. 

Writing was on the wall for Warne having not seen this. I know people will argue he ain’t had the funds but that’s a massive achilles heel.

For me that’s why we ain’t Top 2, but should comfortably be Top 6 and then January we get the best striker we can (should have done it before imo)

Not sure I’d trust Warne with another window, but some of the names being mentioned I wouldn’t trust them either ! 

2 minutes ago, GangwayD said:

Brings me back to me banging on about not replacing Didzy.

His movement, taking the ball in tight areas, moving the ball quickly and/or spreading play, thus stretching the pitch, it helped the whole team as well as being a father figure to Dobbin and Will Osula, plus his goals. 

Writing was on the wall for Warne having not seen this. I know people will argue he ain’t had the funds but that’s a massive achilles heel.

For me that’s why we ain’t Top 2, but should comfortably be Top 6 and then January we get the best striker we can (should have done it before imo)

Not sure I’d trust Warne with another window, but some of the names being mentioned I wouldn’t trust them either ! 

The trouble with giving him another window is, it's more of a certain type of player who probably won't suit the next manager.

Just now, sage said:

The trouble with giving him another window is, it's more of a certain type of player who probably won't suit the next manager.

I also don't think he can attract the kind of player we need. I can't imagine there will be many players banging down the door to play the kind of football we've been playing lately.

39 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

The thing is, it’s obvious how that Cocu/Rosenior stuff turns into really good football - it really doesn’t take that much, just move it slightly quicker, be a bit smarter in when to take risks or not, just tiny improvements really, a lot of which would have come from just playing together more (especially the Rosenior era). I have no clue what it would take to turn this team into a proper Warne team, but we seem a million miles away from it.

No, Cocu and Rosenior stuff is tedious, safe, anti-football designed by statasticians and an anethama to anyone with a footballing soul.

1 minute ago, CornwallRam said:

McClaren did not play safe football. His style with us - which I believe was actually highly influenced by Paul Simpson, was nothing like Cocu's. 

McClaren’s style is what you get when you let a bunch of players get comfortable together in Rosenior/Cocu type football.  All it takes is a bit more confidence in each other to cut out the backwards passes when we’ve already broken the lines.  

21 minutes ago, sage said:

This is true Sage. I dare say Warne would bring in a couple of very powerful players, although he says it’s the strongest squad he’s ever had - or words to that effect, so what does he think he needs. 

it shows how critical management appointment is if the squad doesn’t suit a managers style.  

This  current squad can’t play high press as it doesn’t have the legs, nor does crossing the ball in the box when we don’t have the strikers to suit or a midfielder who drives into the box to get on the end of things. 

Only caveat I would say, is a new manager will be building almost a new team - is it 8 we have out of contract, so don’t think it’s that critical.

3 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I'm genuinely curious to hear any arguments for keeping Warne beyond "Clowes doesn't want to pay the money to sack him".

I won't argue against any points raised, I just want to hear any sort of defense/reasoning for keeping him.

There aren’t any.

3 hours ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

I’m anti sack Warne, then punt on someone else in hope that it works.

Not sure if that makes me pro Warne by default.

Im not sure any manager can resolve the goal scoring problem without recruiting someone who we cannot recruit. This problem has been around since Cocu with several managers other than when we all to briefly had McGoldOne.

We desperately need to find a gem forward from none league or somewhere. Until this happens we can keep perming different managers with likely similar outcomes.

Nigel Clough to Stevie mac say no more

Let's face it, if the Club decides to keep Warne we have to accept that all the "flair" players who aren't mobile and aggressive enough for the style he wants to play will be gone at the end of this season. They're nearly all out of contract anyway. 

He will then bring in the sort of players he wants.

We will then have to sit it out and see what that looks like next season because we aren't achieving anything trying to play Warne's style of football with this squad. 

5 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I'm genuinely curious to hear any arguments for keeping Warne beyond "Clowes doesn't want to pay the money to sack him".

I won't argue against any points raised, I just want to hear any sort of defense/reasoning for keeping him.

The indefatigable argument is that is the only compelling case to keep Warne on. 

Everything else is therefore unfortunately irrelevant