Pro Warne

Jram

The midfield situation would probably be helped (although not solved) if we didn't do stupid things like playing our combative / defensive midfielder (Fornah) too far forward and leaving him stranded up the pitch when his (individual) press doesn't win us the the ball back, which leaves the opposition with a straight run at Korey Smith who's sat where Fornah should be.

Edited by Kokosnuss

3 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

The midfield situation would probably be helped (although not solved) if we didn't do stupid things like playing our combative / defensive midfielder (Fornah) too far forward and leaving him stranded up the pitch when his (individual) press doesn't win us the the ball back, which leaves the opposition with a straight run at Korey Smith who's sat where Fornah should be.

So many long balls on Saturday just went over the head of our "press". And when cash and Fornah were up the pitch, it just sailed over them. In fairness, the penny did drop eventually.

I’m still pro-Warne, as much as I was at the start of the season. I think the players as a collective have a lot to answer for, and I don’t mean it as they aren’t trying or good enough, I just find them characterless and especially the ones Rosenior signed up. I think there’s a group of players there who have obviously not been resigned by other clubs because they were decent squad players but don’t consistently put in enough good dominating performances over a season. Ultimately I would put the likes of Bird and Sibley in a similar boat. Like last season, how much did we rely on McGoldricks goals? Yes, Warne has had a couple of transfer windows but they are players who are also taking up his budget and are difficult to shift. I said a few weeks ago but I’m reminded of the early Clough years in that he has players he needs shift but can’t until contracts run out, I still think that’s the case and if Clowes gets rid of Warne now I doubt we’d see a quick fix (and even if there was I’m not convinced we are in a position to compete in the championship just yet).

Thats not to say Warne hasn’t made mistakes, he had and continues to do so. The biggest was making Hourihane captain and the process he proudly told everyone about. I don’t think it helped the mentality and gave the players too much power in that moment when he’d presumably lined up the captaincy for Sonny Bradley. When I saw the video of Hourihane with the fans, I get the impression he’s I’m essentially saying ‘it’s not our fault’ as players and it didn’t fill me with confidence as a captain that the players fully behind what Warne is trying to do. It’s a lot to take from that video after a loss, but I’m just going on his body language and what he’s saying. I don’t think it’s a good look

I think he needed to bring Bradley into his 11 before now, which is a difficult decision due to the form of the defence but I think he needed his players with a fresh mentality in his 11. I don’t think he’s put enough of his stamp onto the squad just yet. Some of that has been because of the injuries to Ward and Elder as well, but I think the big thing is he’s missing is his leader on the pitch. Do we have anyone who’s really pointing fingers, getting others riled up or wanting to win? I don’t see it at the minute and I haven’t for a good while. 

It’s ultimately the mentality of the players to me, and Warne has to take the brunt of that. Tomorrow is huge for Warne’s future and I’ll be really interested to see what team he puts out, but I hope he is willing to have a bit of a reset rather than this wishy washy approach of having his style of play but having a formation that is trying to keep everyone happy. I think it’s time for Warne to set out a side and formation that he wants to work and bypass the players it doesn’t suit

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

You may well be right but you and the previous 9,999 people don’t actually know that the club can’t afford to sack him.

I agree that results may improve but I reckon it would take a decent winning streak (not draws) to settle the natives and allow us to perhaps overlook the poor quality of football usually on show.

Anything less than a win against Exeter and things will get even more unpleasant. On the other hand, win our next three games (by hook or by crook) and I reckon most will suspend their anger/frustration at least briefly.

True, it's kind of guesswork... Just going off the transfer restrictions, I assume it's going to be a fair chunk of the overall budget. Probably worth at this stage though.

I'm also now thinking about the cost of another season in League One, low attendances, and the prospect of losing Bird, Cashin, Sibley, Wildsmith, Barkhuizen, etc. next summer for very little money!

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

I’m still pro-Warne, as much as I was at the start of the season. I think the players as a collective have a lot to answer for, and I don’t mean it as they aren’t trying or good enough, I just find them characterless and especially the ones Rosenior signed up. I think there’s a group of players there who have obviously not been resigned by other clubs because they were decent squad players but don’t consistently put in enough good dominating performances over a season. Ultimately I would put the likes of Bird and Sibley in a similar boat. Like last season, how much did we rely on McGoldricks goals? Yes, Warne has had a couple of transfer windows but they are players who are also taking up his budget and are difficult to shift. I said a few weeks ago but I’m reminded of the early Clough years in that he has players he needs shift but can’t until contracts run out, I still think that’s the case and if Clowes gets rid of Warne now I doubt we’d see a quick fix (and even if there was I’m not convinced we are in a position to compete in the championship just yet).

Thats not to say Warne hasn’t made mistakes, he had and continues to do so. The biggest was making Hourihane captain and the process he proudly told everyone about. I don’t think it helped the mentality and gave the players too much power in that moment when he’d presumably lined up the captaincy for Sonny Bradley. When I saw the video of Hourihane with the fans, I get the impression he’s I’m essentially saying ‘it’s not our fault’ as players and it didn’t fill me with confidence as a captain that the players fully behind what Warne is trying to do. It’s a lot to take from that video after a loss, but I’m just going on his body language and what he’s saying. I don’t think it’s a good look

I think he needed to bring Bradley into his 11 before now, which is a difficult decision due to the form of the defence but I think he needed his players with a fresh mentality in his 11. I don’t think he’s put enough of his stamp onto the squad just yet. Some of that has been because of the injuries to Ward and Elder as well, but I think the big thing is he’s missing is his leader on the pitch. Do we have anyone who’s really pointing fingers, getting others riled up or wanting to win? I don’t see it at the minute and I haven’t for a good while. 

It’s ultimately the mentality of the players to me, and Warne has to take the brunt of that. Tomorrow is huge for Warne’s future and I’ll be really interested to see what team he puts out, but I hope he is willing to have a bit of a reset rather than this wishy washy approach of having his style of play but having a formation that is trying to keep everyone happy. I think it’s time for Warne to set out a side and formation that he wants to work and bypass the players it doesn’t suit

Good post

1 hour ago, Kokosnuss said:

Yep. Should have switched to 4231 within 20 minutes. It was obvious.

6 hours ago, CongletonRam said:

I think there are tens of thousands of pro-Warne fans, actuallly probably more than anti Warne fans.

Why don't more post on here? Probably for the same reasons as me. For every time they do, they are hit with a barrage from that vocal minority asking to justify their opinion. That barrage can become unpleasant and sometimes rude and occasionally mockingly. Nobody needs or deserves that.

My opinion of PW and DCFC hasn't altered. I understand and respect the opinion of those wanting PW out, but I do not believe they are right.

I have gone into the reasons on another thread but I will say again; I believe that Clowes will be 100% behind Warne irrespective of whether we finish in the top 6 or not. A few disgruntled fans won't make any difference.

The loud minority are in all likelihood made up with a majority of younger fans.

Im not young unfortunately but can you tell me if you are enjoying the football being played?

On 22/10/2023 at 10:06, Jram said:

Anyone else still willing to give this time? Don’t seem to be many on the forum.

I don’t think we’ve been that bad (albeit I wasn’t there yesterday). Sounded like we had some good spells in the game though and we’ve had some brilliant performances (Peterborough, Blackpool)

Big squad turnover in the summer so willing to give it chance to come together. We’ve had some bad luck with injuries and decisions which will hopefully turn. 

I think some of the anti-warne sentiment is the immediate anger of losing to so-called lesser clubs but, unfortunately, we were always going to lose games across a 46 game season so no need to panic 

I am willing to give him the rest of the season , far too early to be writing us off yet , good results in the next 3 games and everything looks different , it’s that fine margins , it’s now down to the staff and players , who knows Saturday could be the turning point.        COYR

3 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

I am willing to give him the rest of the season , far too early to be writing us off yet , good results in the next 3 games and everything looks different , it’s that fine margins , it’s now down to the staff and players , who knows Saturday could be the turning point.        COYR

Have you written tomorrow night off already?

4 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

Have you written tomorrow night off already?

Tomorrow night will be the turning point upwards, then Saturday the turning point back down again 😜

Just kidding. (I'm not sure tomorrow night will be a turning point upwards).