Warne Out Out

Birdyabroad

I am one that did'nt want Warne and had my doubts whether he was the right man to get us back in the Championship. My biggest hate of the Warneball football was playing 3 centrbacks with wingbacks. I did state; hoping he could adapt and try different formations. Last season he was forced to play mainly with a back 4 because of the players he had inherited from Liam Rosenior's hastly put together squad. We put a good run together and looked like we could pinch a promotion slot. Then he started tinkering with the team and trying out his favoured 3 at the back, we fell away and the rest is history.

A new season and Warne brings in players to fit his preferred 3 at the back and wingbacks. Due to injuries and poor results against inferior teams he switches back to 4 at the back. And besides the odd few games where he got his tactics wrong ( Crewe, Stevenage, Shrewsbury and Cambridge) the team have started to get results and climb the table. The Port Vale game even had the team playing out from the back with Wildsmith feeding to defenders (Aka Liam Rosenior style).

Please Mr Warne, drop the idea of 3 centrebacks, please adapt, have some tactical nouce against all these different teams in this awful League One. Don't recruit old players in January, especially wingbacks, go abroad if needs be and bring in some hungry exciting talent. If you fail to get promotion this season, I'm afraid you will gone. Crowds will drop off, good young players will move on and we will be back to how the squad was when Mr Clowes bought the club (Threadbare of players).

10 hours ago, plymouthram said:

I am one that did'nt want Warne and had my doubts whether he was the right man to get us back in the Championship. My biggest hate of the Warneball football was playing 3 centrbacks with wingbacks. I did state; hoping he could adapt and try different formations. Last season he was forced to play mainly with a back 4 because of the players he had inherited from Liam Rosenior's hastly put together squad. We put a good run together and looked like we could pinch a promotion slot. Then he started tinkering with the team and trying out his favoured 3 at the back, we fell away and the rest is history.

A new season and Warne brings in players to fit his preferred 3 at the back and wingbacks. Due to injuries and poor results against inferior teams he switches back to 4 at the back. And besides the odd few games where he got his tactics wrong ( Crewe, Stevenage, Shrewsbury and Cambridge) the team have started to get results and climb the table. The Port Vale game even had the team playing out from the back with Wildsmith feeding to defenders (Aka Liam Rosenior style).

Please Mr Warne, drop the idea of 3 centrebacks, please adapt, have some tactical nouce against all these different teams in this awful League One. Don't recruit old players in January, especially wingbacks, go abroad if needs be and bring in some hungry exciting talent. If you fail to get promotion this season, I'm afraid you will gone. Crowds will drop off, good young players will move on and we will be back to how the squad was when Mr Clowes bought the club (Threadbare of players).

At halftime he went to a 3/5 at the back v Bristol and we were far better second half. First half with 4 we were poor. 

The likes of Wilson and Ward are tailor made for the wing back role where nyambe is more suited to a 4 (rb)

Basically there are situations where having the 3/5 is beneficial (as there is for 4 sometimes) so asking to drop it completely i can't get on board with.

Edited by The_Sheriff

10 hours ago, plymouthram said:

Seems you fabricate a story to back up your own personal views.

Injuries and tiredness played a huge part last season. Where possible we have played out from the back all season (apart from when there has been a high press). All on the manager - nothing to do with players missing chances, mis-passing the ball, being bullied off the ball (Stevenage), terrible referee decisions (Bolton etc etc). Already proved on this Forum that there is no such thing as Warneball.

He has already stated what he would like to do in the transfer window - so why make comments like that? The  timing of your post is crass, due to the successful run we are now on

By all means give your criticisms/views - but back them up with some facts.

1 hour ago, The_Sheriff said:

At halftime he went to a 3/5 at the back v Bristol and we were far better second half. First half with 4 we were poor. 

The likes of Wilson and Ward are tailor made for the wing back role where nyambe is more suited to a 4 (rb)

Basically there are situations where having the 3/5 is beneficial (as there is for 4 sometimes) so asking to drop it completely i can't get on board with.

Horses for courses aint it, Set up on how you expect the opposition to play...as you have had them watched, If it aint working you change the system to exploit any failures the opposition may have.

Playing 5 at the back and failing but still playing 5 at the back shows intransigence, Having the nouce to change shows your on it...always said football is a simple game...complicated by coaches and players 😁

48 minutes ago, The_Sheriff said:

It didn't look that way (initially) from my sofa, with Nyambe still hugging the touchline, with Barkhuizen pushing high up the field. Cashin and Nelson appeared to be equally as central. However, on the left, it was noticeable how much further Sibley was playing and Mendez-Laing was playing as a forward instead of as a winger.

It was a clear back 3 when Wilson came on as he is more natural in that position, obviously being better positionally as a result. The back 3 were also more suitably positioned.

6 hours ago, The_Sheriff said:

It was the switching of the position of mendez laing that made the difference in the second half, nowt to do with 3 cbs Warne told us that himself.

On 30/11/2023 at 10:10, The_Sheriff said:

No changes were made until the 62nd minute against Bristol, so we could'nt revert to a back 3/5. A 3rd centre half  (Bradley) came on the pitch in the 74th minute. And Nyambe, who is no wingback played the full match. Agree, there will be situations and good tactical decisions to make that change to a 3/5 set up in certain matches, but overall with our players that are available to the manager, we play as a stronger defensive unit with 4 at the back. This is backed up by most of our games this season playing with 4 at the back and conceding the least goals in League one.

17 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

No changes were made until the 62nd minute against Bristol, so we could'nt revert to a back 3/5. A 3rd centre half  (Bradley) came on the pitch in the 74th minute. And Nyambe, who is no wingback played the full match. Agree, there will be situations and good tactical decisions to make that change to a 3/5 set up in certain matches, but overall with our players that are available to the manager, we play as a stronger defensive unit with 4 at the back. This is backed up by most of our games this season playing with 4 at the back and conceding the least goals in League one.

Cashin, Nelson, Nyambe as the back 3. Sibley and Barkhuizen as wing backs.

On 30/11/2023 at 10:39, On the Ram Page said:

Seems you fabricate a story to back up your own personal views.

Injuries and tiredness played a huge part last season. Where possible we have played out from the back all season (apart from when there has been a high press). All on the manager - nothing to do with players missing chances, mis-passing the ball, being bullied off the ball (Stevenage), terrible referee decisions (Bolton etc etc). Already proved on this Forum that there is no such thing as Warneball.

He has already stated what he would like to do in the transfer window - so why make comments like that? The  timing of your post is crass, due to the successful run we are now on

By all means give your criticisms/views - but back them up with some facts.

What part of my story is fabricated and having my personal views is what the forum is all about. Injuries do play a big part to any teams season and even Plymouth and Sheffield Wednesday had a lot of injuries last season and still managed to get promotion. Tiredness came about with the fact we had an older squad than most of the others at the top end of the table, plus playing the 3 at back with wingbacks covering more ground than a traditional left/right back stretches the team out when we lose the ball in their half.

I'm right behind Derby and hope that we do get promotion this season, if we stick with Warne and he gets things right, I like many others will be happy. It's my opinion that we would do better playing with a back 4, which we have done in most games this season so far and that's backed up with us conceding the least goals in League one (FACT). Lets hope what Paul Warne stated what he would like to do in the transfer window does happen. Like I have stated before a few times on this forum, I hope that the manager can adapt the team to combat the differing styles of the oppossing teams.

After last season, when interviewed, Paul Warne did state he classed his management/season has a failure. I think he's a honest guy and it's my opinion that we should not play 3 at the back with wing backs, it might work against the odd team but generally and already proven, a back four suits our current players that we have available to us.

28 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:
46 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Cashin, Nelson, Nyambe as the back 3. Sibley and Barkhuizen as wing backs.

You must have watched a different game to me, most of the second half Barkhuizen was on the left hand side of the pitch in front of Sibley who played left back (replacing Fozzy who was serving a one match ban). Plus Bark's only played 17 minutes of the 2nd half and was replaced by Wilson. We reverted to 3 at the back when Bradley came on in the 74th minute, we were already 1-0 up at that stage.

9 hours ago, plymouthram said:

You must have watched a different game to me, most of the second half Barkhuizen was on the left hand side of the pitch in front of Sibley who played left back (replacing Fozzy who was serving a one match ban). Plus Bark's only played 17 minutes of the 2nd half and was replaced by Wilson. We reverted to 3 at the back when Bradley came on in the 74th minute, we were already 1-0 up at that stage.

I suggest watching the 2nd half again. As I posted the other day

"[At the start of the 2nd half] Nyambe still hugging the touchline, with Barkhuizen pushing high up the field. Cashin and Nelson appeared to be equally as central. However, on the left, it was noticeable how much further Sibley was playing and Mendez-Laing was playing as a forward instead of as a winger.

It was a clear back 3 when Wilson came on as he is more natural in that position, obviously being better positionally as a result. The back 3 were also more suitably positioned."

Like you, I found it difficult to see the shape when watching live on TV. But, I think that was mostly Nyambe and Barkhuizen not quite adjusting to the change in shape. Barkhuizen absolutely was not playing on the left in the 2nd half.

• 5 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, davenportram said:

Looks like I was right when I said once results turned the fans would stop being antiWarne.

i predict that if we go three games without a win this thread will restart

Well if we go three games without a win against Fleetwood, Bradford and Burton I imagine the criticism will be justified. 

But in the meantime, do enjoy your smugness.

13 hours ago, davenportram said:

Looks like I was right when I said once results turned the fans would stop being antiWarne.

i predict that if we go three games without a win this thread will restart

I don't think you are right. Fans haven't stopped being anti-Warne they are just waiting for him to fail. 

If you are not convinced by Warne then it's up to Warne to convince you or at least keep the disbelievers quiet. Only promotion will do that IMHO.

Edited by RoyMac5

19 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I don't think you are right. Fans haven't stopped being anti-Warne they are just waiting for him to fail. 

If you are not convinced by Warne then it's up to Warne to convince you or at least keep the disbelievers quiet. Only promotion will do that IMHO.

For me, to say promotion or no promotion is too binary and many other factors probably need to taken into account.

If we somehow make the play off final then the difference between promotion and not could be very fine. Are you saying, for example, that if we won the play off final on penalties you’d be “convinced” but if we lost it on penalties you wouldn’t be? If we finished 3rd on goal difference behind the team in 2nd but narrowly lost the play off final would that also be a no for you?

For me, I’d be happy to stick with PW provided a) the recent improvement in performances (not just results) is maintained for most games (there is bound to be an occasional blip) and b) we make a pretty good fist at gaining promotion. That would probably mean gaining promotion, performing well but just falling short in the play offs or even performing well but just falling short of reaching the play offs. If we’re playing well but just miss out on the play offs on goal difference or a point or two then I don’t really see there would be anything to be gained by getting rid.

33 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

For me, to say promotion or no promotion is too binary and many other factors probably need to taken into account.

If we somehow make the play off final then the difference between promotion and not could be very fine. Are you saying, for example, that if we won the play off final on penalties you’d be “convinced” but if we lost it on penalties you wouldn’t be? If we finished 3rd on goal difference behind the team in 2nd but narrowly lost the play off final would that also be a no for you?

For me, I’d be happy to stick with PW provided a) the recent improvement in performances (not just results) is maintained for most games (there is bound to be an occasional blip) and b) we make a pretty good fist at gaining promotion. That would probably mean gaining promotion, performing well but just falling short in the play offs or even performing well but just falling short of reaching the play offs. If we’re playing well but just miss out on the play offs on goal difference or a point or two then I don’t really see there would be anything to be gained by getting rid.

I'm not going to be convinced by Warne's management style, ever. Yesterday highlighted lots of his 'teams' deficiencies. For me nothing has really changed about 'them' (Warne and co.) since last season and it's not going to - he is what he is. Others will accept promotion as a positive and be 'pro-Warne'. We should have done better last season - Warne agrees! - we are not looking any more consistent or at times convincing than we did last season. Who you say is responsible for that is a personal choice, but for me we have a good budget, a better squad (last season particularly, except no RB - why not Warne?) and a good Club 'structure', what is wrong? Manager.

Oh and the point I was making, was not what I think but what other fans think - there were fans in the East stand according to Jake Barker, being anti-Warne and weren't willing to wait for a 'bad run' of a few games to do that.

Edited by RoyMac5