Warne Out Out

Birdyabroad

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The point I was making was him only winning promotion with 1 team, with an already established style of play, and all the players used to playing that way.

Does amuse me your use of the word only when it's referenced to Warne only achieving 3 promotions out of League 1....am sure you could do better though 

I could accept the inconsistency if it were evident that we’re building something but I’m just not sure what we’re building. We’re told this is a long term project and that Clowes is giving time for Warne to build the club back up but all I’ve seen in his tenure is buying ex-players and those past their best. 

If we were playing our youth, signing up and comers and attempting to play some good football then I think most Derby fans would accept the current position and levels of consistency but as it stands, what have we built in the last season and a half? Our best youth products in years are all set to leave at the end of the season leaving us with a few players that are the wrong side of 30.

If we don’t go up this year I do fear we’re in this league for the long haul, waiting for PW’s contract to be up so we can get in someone who knows how to build a team for the long term. The messaging from the club says this is a long term project but the signings we’ve made suggest otherwise.

15 minutes ago, islandram said:

As far asi can see we could win every league game between now and end of season 10 nil and certain posters would still moan. no names given. I’m sure David clowes feels same it’s your opinions it’s a free country. but when someone gives an alternative take on it try to listen to the facts. open minds are needed 

What are the facts?

29 minutes ago, islandram said:

As far asi can see we could win every league game between now and end of season 10 nil and certain posters would still moan. no names given. I’m sure David clowes feels same it’s your opinions it’s a free country. but when someone gives an alternative take on it try to listen to the facts. open minds are needed 

I've told you a million times not to exaggerate.

If we would every game, even 1 nil, there wouldn't be much to moan about. 

The fact Weston etc are even a point to moan about is because 2 of Warnes signings in Embleton and John Joe are both crocks, and were before we signed them. Mendez-Laing has been great recently, but proved against Crewe, once we are without him, Warne has little to no options.

Warne wasted 2 really good opportunities to look at options.

Win every game, as you say, and there wouldn't really be any need to scramble for options.

46 minutes ago, islandram said:

Oooh pick me, pick me!

I pray we win every game and Warne gets us promoted. Yes I do. Because his total lack of dimensions as a manager would be easily apparent in the Championship and it would be much easier to see exactly what we'd got. 

2 hours ago, CongletonRam said:

Our academy has produced virtually nothing of note in the last 20 years.

Why are you so keen for our manager to suddenly start using it?

If players are good enough, they will get a look in.

Hendrick was a good earner for us , but just £12 mill for Hughes , Bogle and Lowe combined was pathetic. The big difference with our pals down the road is that they get shed loads for strikers.

Absolutely sick of the constant sniping against the club , management and players , this was never going to be an easy fix and I believe any manager we hired would have had struggles , all this second guessing of finances, tactics, players contracts , potential signings , what players think , the academy are all being used as a stick to beat the manager with , yes Warne has made mistakes, which manager hasn’t but he’s our manager whether you like it or not , try cutting him a bit of slack and see what he can achieve and if he fails I will gladly hold my hands up and say you told us so

5 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

He has failed so far. How long is the period we should set to make a judgement as to whether he has failed or not?

I think he absolutely must achieve promotion this season  

Whether he has failed so far, how long he should be given before a judgement is made and whether promotion this year is a must or not is up to Mr Clowes. We, on this forum, can (and some already have) make our own judgements but they count for very little.

22 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Whether he has failed so far, how long he should be given before a judgement is made and whether promotion this year is a must or not is up to Mr Clowes. We, on this forum, can (and some already have) make our own judgements but they count for very little.

Agreed but that goes for pretty much any opinion on a message board. So what's the point? you know that thread where people give their opinions on the players performance each match for example. Doesn't matter a damn whether we thought Bird was a 7, 8 or 9 or that NML was MOM. The only opinion that counts is the managers. And so on and so forth. On here we have a debate right. Should we not do so?

In any case  I would disagree with you slightly though in that the collective opinions of supporters always counts. No owner can disregard that. At the moment Warne is on thin ice with a lot of supporters. He's probably at least as unpopular as Phil Brown was or Nigel Pearson was. He's got some good results at home in the league recently though so he's got some credit in the bank but that result and performance against Crewe hasn't helped his cause at all. We will see how he goes but would you like to bet any of your hard earned money that he will see out his 4 year contract? 

10 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

Agreed but that goes for pretty much any opinion on a message board. So what's the point? you know that thread where people give their opinions on the players performance each match for example. Doesn't matter a damn whether we thought Bird was a 7, 8 or 9 or that NML was MOM. The only opinion that counts is the managers. And so on and so forth. On here we have a debate right. Should we not do so?

In any case  I would disagree with you slightly though in that the collective opinions of supporters always counts. No owner can disregard that. At the moment Warne is on thin ice with a lot of supporters. He's probably at least as unpopular as Phil Brown was or Nigel Pearson was. He's got some good results at home in the league recently though so he's got some credit in the bank but that result and performance against Crewe hasn't helped his cause at all. We will see how he goes but would you like to bet any of your hard earned money that he will see out his 4 year contract? 

What you're saying about Warne not being allowed to see out his 4 year contract is a pretty safe bet reference this article from the BBC Sports website when Gerrard was sacked from Villa-

The LMA also said that the average tenure of dismissed managers across all four divisions so far this season is 11months - the same length of time Gerrard got. And there has been 19 dismissals and 10 resignations since the start of June 2022.

So actually bearing these stats in mind then Warne is doing well to have lasted as long so far!

54 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

That’s why I said “counts for very little” rather than counts for nothing. If there was a mass protest or really strong and overwhelming opinions voiced then the owner would struggle to  ignore them but, we’re a long way from that. 

5 hours ago, islandram said:

We're not moaning because Warne is our manager and we don't like him. We're moaning because we're playing crap football and losing/drawing games we should be winning. Pretending that the moaning is just because people don't like Warne is absurd and ignores justified crisicism of what's happening in reality.

If we won every game between now and the end of the season, great. Warne has proved us all wrong. And in the two or thre games this season we've played well, he's been highly praised by almost all supporters. But in reality, he's nowhere near proving his critics wrong is he? Every good game seems to be followed by more bad games.

Edited by oodledoodle

8 hours ago, Rubix001 said:

I could accept the inconsistency if it were evident that we’re building something but I’m just not sure what we’re building. We’re told this is a long term project and that Clowes is giving time for Warne to build the club back up but all I’ve seen in his tenure is buying ex-players and those past their best. 

If we were playing our youth, signing up and comers and attempting to play some good football then I think most Derby fans would accept the current position and levels of consistency but as it stands, what have we built in the last season and a half? Our best youth products in years are all set to leave at the end of the season leaving us with a few players that are the wrong side of 30.

If we don’t go up this year I do fear we’re in this league for the long haul, waiting for PW’s contract to be up so we can get in someone who knows how to build a team for the long term. The messaging from the club says this is a long term project but the signings we’ve made suggest otherwise.

This post is spot on and very close to my feelings.

The actions of Warne whilst being at the club doesn't give the impression that this is a long term project, namely the age profile of players signed and the reluctance to use the academy. It appears to be short term thinking recruiting players on their last legs to muddle our way up. 

I have serious doubts that if this squad was to get up that we would be able to stay up. Even with some additions, we would need a serious squad revamp. There is a lack of clear vision at the club at the moment, I can't quite see what it is that we're trying to achieve.