Warne Out Out

Birdyabroad

58 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Like being 3-0 up, 75 minutes on the clock, and having used only 1 sub, with Robinson and Weston both on the bench. By the end of the game, we use only 3 out of 5 subs and leave both Robinson and Weston on the bench. Just like that?

Now that’s what I don’t get.  One minute it’s I’ll put some of the kids on if we’re 3 goals up.  But when we’re 3 goals up and he makes his last change at 84 mins he doesn’t do that and says he’d used all the sub breaks.  That’s why I think he’s focused on the moment and not the long term plan. 

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I refuse to believe he voluntarily gave them minutes, only to then disregard them in the following 2 games, where they could very easily have played.

It's completely believable.  He played them in a game where the result didn't matter and then didn't play them in two games where the result did matter.  Entirely in keeping with his treatment of youngsters since he's been here. 

Just listened to the lower league podcast on five live and both Phil Brown and Jobi  McAnuff agreed that Derby are inconsistent because Paul Warne has one way of playing and if sides get in their face they struggle.

I would say that’s a fair summation. Combination of weakness in the manager and a lack of resolve in the players.

Stevenage was mentioned as an example of an inferior side on paper outplaying a better footballing team through effort and commitment. Steve Evans simply got the best out of his team.

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Stevenage was mentioned as an example of an inferior side on paper outplaying a better footballing team through effort and commitment. Steve Evans simply got the best out of his team.

But football isn’t played in paper is it; and Stevenage have been in the top six for all but one week of this season. They ARE a better team on the grass too!

On 21/10/2023 at 17:48, PrideParkhead said:

Get this loser out of my club. Absolutely sick of his tactics his cringeworthy interviews & his range of headwear. Get Nigel Clough back. He's a League 1 expert that at least attempts to play decent football 

How is Nigel Clough a League One expert compared to Warne?

Warne has 3 promotions from this division.

20 hours ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

I can’t see that Matt Hale has moved home, left his family behind just to see his players have no pathway. 

Warne says he would play the academy boys if we had a healthy lead. The trouble is, he struggles to get his teams into a healthy lead 🤣

Our last 3 home games have finished 3-0, 4-1, 4-0.

Don't let facts get in the way though. 

When this thread started we had 18 points from 12 games, 75 pages later we now have 27 from 16.  We were 11th and we are now 7th, just one goal more in the plus column away from playoffs.  

By my reckoning if we can get to 225  pages we'll be top.

Edited by Truckle
counting

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Our last 3 home games have finished 3-0, 4-1, 4-0.

Don't let facts get in the way though. 

10 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

So PW contradicts himself then. If they are the facts, why hasn’t he introduced the young ones? 

I’m sorry but try and defend that one. 

We’ll apparently I am blind, but I’m fairly sure I watched 8 current academy players in that 4-1 win.

21 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

I feel like i'm in that same position with Warne now. Ideally I wanted Rosenior to stay, but the moment that decision is made, I felt like I should back and get behind the new manager. I knew we wouldn't be seeing fast-flowing, attractive football, nor would we be seeing youngsters utilised as often as under Cocu, or even Rooney. Warne has his strengths and it's pragmatic football that's especially effective at League 1 level. That's why i'm not judging him on academy inclusion, or style of play- just the bit he's supposed to be effective at: achieving promotion. 

We're still in the hunt, in this respect, and results do generally seem to be improving, and there's enough mitigating factors such as injuries for me to give him a bit of leeway. The result against Barnsley seemed to be the culmination of his efforts so far: for once we were that slightly nasty, physical team that completely outmuscled the opposition- that was pleasing to see as it was success measured by the metrics I've been judging him on since his arrival. I don't care about a loss in a cup competition we were never going to win, and could probably do without the extra games, given our squad size. Those sort of games happen, and I'm not bothered by the context or who played etc. - it all seems relatively trivial in the grand scheme of things.

Because promotion is still on the cards, I won't turn on Warne yet, if that starts to fade then what I will say is that Warne hasn't got much else to fall back on. But i'm not there yet, see where we are in the league table come Christmas and I might be harsher on him.

With how the first team are doing, he isn't doing bad enough to even consider getting rid. I think we have to be secure in those playoff spots by Christmas. My fear is that we spend much of the season, lurching from great result to poor result. Not enough to get him gone, but not enough to erase the doubts.

I am not so certain we can take such a short term view though. There are a lot of players out of contract this summer, we should be free from any outside constraints. It is a huge window. I don't think I can trust a man to lead the next stage of our rebuild who has zero intention of trusting the youth. We could have used the cup games, subs to see if there is anyone in the academy who can take on a squad role. It could save us a lot. We have to be smarter with our transfers. we have to be smarter with how we use our squad. Say, Fapetu came in played some great games. You then know you have a squad player for next season, or he plays well enough that he attracts bids. Either way, it is in our interest. As it stands, Warne has no intention of that being an option. Maybe I am wrong but I saw this season as the ideal one to try and bring through some of the youth.

If you were a young player and you and your parents/family were looking at where to sign and you wondered what the first team chances were, if you read Warne's more recent quotes, why would you come here? Cat 1 in League one and zero chance. His attitude towards the young players is a disgrace quite frankly. It also doesn't exactly speak kindly of the work the staff in the academy are doing. For someone who prides himself on the mental side and well being, he really does his best to shoot himself in the foot.

You are quite correct though, Warne has nothing else to fall back on. If we do fail to make the playoffs this season, then he has actually spent 2 seasons taking the club no further forward. He is not a coach, he isn't going to improve players and we certainly haven't developed any sort of identity. Even though it didn't work out with Cocu as manager, Bird, Knight, Sibley and Whittaker all benefitted massively from having a good coach, the future of our club. A shame that Rooney managed the latter two badly.

Getting in a promotion expert seemed like a good idea, but I fear we are sacrificing a lot of other things to go down this route. Part of me can't help but hope he fluffs it before Christmas. I started out thinking Warne was a great guy, now he is just an irritation.

Anyway. That is me done.

4 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Are you happy with the 3-1 defeats against mighty Stevenage and Crewe ☹️ Don’t let facts…………

No one is happy with those defeats but they are irrelevant to this particular conversation started by the statement "....he struggles to get his team into a healthy lead".  3:0, 4:1 and 4:0 are all examples of a healthy lead.