What are your long term realistic ambitions for DCFC?

CongletonRam

If we get promoted this year ( and that’s a big if right now) we would struggle initially to establish in the Championship imo. I think we are looking at least 5 years to be realistic contenders for promotion to PL. and to stay there. It looks a long way off right now but that’s the long term aim. 

Be like Luton?! 

"Luton were promoted back to League One the following season as runners-up. Luton achieved a second successive promotion in 2018–19, after they won the League One title, marking the club's return to the Championship after a 12-year absence.  Luton reached the Championship play-offs in 2021–22, where they were beaten 2–1 on aggregate by Huddersfield Town in the semi-final. At the end of the 2022–23 season, Luton Town secured a consecutive place in the Championship play-offs having finished in 3rd place...They went on to beat Coventry City 6–5 on penalties after a tense 1–1 draw to secure promotion to the Premier League for the first time."

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Be like Luton?! 

"Luton were promoted back to League One the following season as runners-up. Luton achieved a second successive promotion in 2018–19, after they won the League One title, marking the club's return to the Championship after a 12-year absence.  Luton reached the Championship play-offs in 2021–22, where they were beaten 2–1 on aggregate by Huddersfield Town in the semi-final. At the end of the 2022–23 season, Luton Town secured a consecutive place in the Championship play-offs having finished in 3rd place...They went on to beat Coventry City 6–5 on penalties after a tense 1–1 draw to secure promotion to the Premier League for the first time."

Perhaps we will have to embrace “Hoof ball” then ?

2 hours ago, sage said:

A lot on here are talking expectation and not ambition.

Our ambition has to be playing in the top division of English football. Being sustainable and competitive in that division, with a sprinkling of academy players in the team.

Anyone who wants less than that, then frankly I don't know why you bother.

Brings back many conversations I have had on here with people that would be happy to stay in the Championship and play fancy football.

I don't get that mentality personally, if you enter the top 6 are you then wanting to lose to drop out, or do you get off on the losing in the play offs, at Wembley, then celebrate in London after we're staying in the Championship?

As you say, ambition should always be to reach the very top, however unrealistic that may seem, otherwise as you say, why bother.

11 minutes ago, David said:

Brings back many conversations I have had on here with people that would be happy to stay in the Championship and play fancy football.

I don't get that mentality personally, if you enter the top 6 are you then wanting to lose to drop out, or do you get off on the losing in the play offs, at Wembley, then celebrate in London after we're staying in the Championship?

As you say, ambition should always be to reach the very top, however unrealistic that may seem, otherwise as you say, why bother.

It's not feasible to just be good in the Championship in perpetuity. You either die trying to go up, like we did, or you actually do go up. You can't keep a squad together forever.

The realistic problem is that you only ever reach the top with a takeover from questionable sources. Modern football in a nutshell. Why do we bother? Who really knows, but we still do.

In five years, I expect our club to be in the Premier League. If not, I think we will still be underperforming. Why do I say this?

Brentford, Brighton, Crystal Palace, Wolves, Forest, Fulham, Sheffield United, Burnley, Bournemouth, Luton.

That's half the current Premier League, and not one of those clubs has greater potential than Derby in terms of fanbase, infrastructure etc.

How much longer are we going to accept League One or Championship football when other clubs of similar or lesser potential are in the top division?

23 minutes ago, Srg said:

It's not feasible to just be good in the Championship in perpetuity. You either die trying to go up, like we did, or you actually do go up. You can't keep a squad together forever.

The realistic problem is that you only ever reach the top with a takeover from questionable sources. Modern football in a nutshell. Why do we bother? Who really knows, but we still do.

Another common one is, we're not ready to go up, like we're waiting for the prefect team to go up with.

You take promotion whenever you can with open arms, I would take another 07/08 season in the Prem as the financial rewards for that one season are huge and give you the ability (if you don't appoint Jewell) to bounce straight back and give it another go.

Forest went up, they didn't have a decent platform to build on, we all thought the summer madness would see them go straight down, now look at them.

This sounds morbid, borderline depressing, but I don't have any realistic ambition for Derby at present. 

I don't believe we have the competency or cash available to mount any serious push for the Premier League. By default, we will continue to fight for promotion in League One until we eventually get it and then we will do our best to survive in the Championship with a middle of the road budget. 

The difficulty the club faces, realistically, is keeping bums on seats. 

If we stay down this season: we will lose our good young players coming to the end of their contracts. Replacing them with quality won't be an unsurmountable task, but realistically any signings we can make in League One aren't going to excite fans. Assuming in this scenario Warne is out, who do we bring in as manager - how can you capture fans imagination? How do you stop thousands of fans from essentially walking out on the club. Anything other than promotion this season is commercially devastating to the club and the truth is three teams are coming down from the Championship in better shape than the ones last season. Take the bottom 5 for example at the moment: Watford, QPR, Rotherham, Sheff Wed & Stoke. The league will be a lot more difficult next season - there will be a lot less optimism around the club than there was last season which kept people engaged. 

If we get promoted this season: the fans are going to excited of course and it means Derby will be in a much stronger position, financially, going into next season. However, realistically speaking, the team is miles off where it needs to be in order to compete in the Championship. We have built our side similarly to how Sheff Wed built their side. I've seen little from the recruitment team to trust them to pull rabbits out of hats, nor do I believe that Clowes will fund a complete overhaul and I don't believe that Warne has the skillset to manage that situation. The initial excitement would be soon tainted with transfer window frustrations, poor results and the realisation that despite having one of the biggest crowds in the league that we aren't able to truly compete financially with a lot of the division who have owners able to more than bridge the gap and teams with parachute payments. We're essentially walking into a buzz saw. If we survive, great, but difficult to overlook the frustrations, the booing, the calls for the managers head, the calls for the players heads which all seems inevitable. 

For me: it's very much a damned if we do, damned if we don't. In order for Derby to be an ambitious club again, it either needs outside money either from investment or new ownership. Failing that, it needs an elite level of competency at the club in terms of coaching and recruitment - like Brentford have been able to achieve. It's obviously not easy when you're looking at what freebies you can pick up off the bosman list at the end of the year.

My own take is not to try and think of the future of the club too much, enjoy the games for what they are and don't let comparison be the thief of joy. 

57 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Long term ambition is to be like Brighton. They've shown how a shrewd approach to recruitment doesn't have to cost a fortune and really upset the apple cart. They're likely looking at champions league football next season tbh. 

They also refused to let Dunk and Stephens come to Derby, turning down an offer of 4 million for their captain in the last year of his deal taking the gamble they'd go up.  They did .  If Derby had retained Bielik AND Knight last season, or at least got his arse back for 20 matches after the world cup, would we be having League 1 discussions.  Sometimes as a club I feel we don't choose the right option.  The longer term loss than an extra 500k on the wage bill will be palpable as Knights gone for sod all, as will Bird, Cashin and Sibley.   

I would just love to experience something similar to the Jim Smith era again.

Going into games against Man U and Arsenal expecting to get something from the game.

Seeing players like Eranio, Wanchope, Taribo West etc etc....being linked with the likes of Baggio, Costacurta, Suker etc etc.

It would be great to have a fairly long period of time where Derby County are in the headlines for their football, rather than for controversy.

Although I would settle for Derby to actually start selling Singha lager, finally and for Zan fish to return to the north stand!

What is classified as long term? 5,10,15,50 years?

Realistic ambitions for the next

Five years:- Back in the Championship.I

Ten to Fifteen years:- Promotion to the Premiership

I'll be long gone by this time, but hopefully in 50 years. We'll be an established top half Premiership team, there'll also be Wembley wins,European nights and a new larger Pride Park built, to cater for the increase of supporters coming to see the sparkling football played by the Rams.

Edited by 1of4

2 hours ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

In five years, I expect our club to be in the Premier League. If not, I think we will still be underperforming. Why do I say this?

Brentford, Brighton, Crystal Palace, Wolves, Forest, Fulham, Sheffield United, Burnley, Bournemouth, Luton.

That's half the current Premier League, and not one of those clubs has greater potential than Derby in terms of fanbase, infrastructure etc.

How much longer are we going to accept League One or Championship football when other clubs of similar or lesser potential are in the top division?

What has fanbase got to do with where a club should be? Let's decide the league's on average attendances then.

I heard that argument 20 odd years ago when Wimbledon were playing in the top division playing Infront of 8 thousand at Plough Lane it didn't wash then and it still doesn't wash now. 

2 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

Long term ambition is to be like Brighton. They've shown how a shrewd approach to recruitment doesn't have to cost a fortune and really upset the apple cart. They're likely looking at champions league football next season tbh. 

I said Brighton were a well run club last season and got pelters for it . If you can buy players from South America for £5 mill and sell them for £100 mill - you are doing well. But you need the right recruitment team and an owner prepared to gamble £5 mill in the first place .