What are your long term realistic ambitions for DCFC?

CongletonRam

Without wanting to discuss the current manager and players, where could you see the club in 5 years time maybe longer?

In 5 years time, I would hope we have become a side challenging for play offs in the Championship; but more realistically, I can see us being a mid-table Champ club for some time.

Longer term; I wish beyond belief that I can see my club sitting in the top half of the Premiership as an established club; but the pessimistic side of me (which only seems to come out when I start thinking Derby County) tells me that is slowly becoming a pipe dream.

A lot on here are talking expectation and not ambition.

Our ambition has to be playing in the top division of English football. Being sustainable and competitive in that division, with a sprinkling of academy players in the team.

Anyone who wants less than that, then frankly I don't know why you bother.

Rebuild the youth teams and have a path way to the first team. All of them following a system that allows for easy transition through the ranks.

Back in the championship with a progressive style of football that see’s us steadily improving year on year. 

Smart recruitment, buying players that suit the system, at the right age with potential for resale. 

Should we ever change manager, bring in one that suits the system we’re trying to apply rather than constantly rebuilding to suit the managers style. 

26 minutes ago, sage said:

Our ambition has to be playing in the top division of English football. Being sustainable and competitive in that division, with a sprinkling of academy players in the team.

Well , if it’s just ambition uninhibited by expectation then why not to do ‘a Leicester City’ and win the Premier League?

I don’t expect that but my ambition is for Derby to win every game; which by definition would lead to it.

Edited by StarterForTen

27 minutes ago, sage said:

What you've just described sounds a lot like Crystal Palace. It doesn't sound too difficult to "be like Crystal Palace".

Ideally, I want to see the current owner move the club on to non fan investors, who then appoint a manager who successfully creates a team that plays football on the grass. A team that passes to each other instead of a hopeful (sometimes hopeless) punt upfield. 

Realistic ambitions:

Five years: Solid and established Championship team that never seriously flirts with relegation.

Longer term: A strong Championship team that challenges (as best it can against clubs with parachute payments) for promotion to the Prem and manages to get there and stay there for a few years. A cup win at Wembley would be nice but that’s never going to be easy if the top Premier League teams take the major cups even slightly seriously.

Wider than DCFC,  1) world peace and 2) harmony (or at least respectful recognition of others opinions, avoidance of multiple threads on the same topic and not boring everyone else by repeating ourselves) on this forum (I think number 1 is more likely than number 2).

Ambition? Just having been crowned Champions of England for the 3rd time in our history.

Realistically, promoted this or next season to the SBC. Consolidate and finish in the top 6 in the 3rd or 4th season there, depending on when we get promoted out of L1.

The Academy producing an array of players who make the 1st team, some of whom stay, some of whom we sell on for mega bucks and buying the odd very good player. A bit like Ajax prior to the past 5 seasons where they've produced youngsters who move on too early thanks to their greedy agent and replace them with multi million pound players nobody has ever heard of, players the trainer didn't want whilst getting none of the players he had requested.

54 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

What you've just described sounds a lot like Crystal Palace. It doesn't sound too difficult to "be like Crystal Palace".

Beg to differ as the evidence shows that Crystal Palace or Brighton as another poster suggested are the exceptions rather than the rules.

If it was that easy then every other club would be doing it.

Or maybe their owners don't believe in this ethos and just deliberately like making life harder for themselves then it needs to be. 

23 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

5 years is a long time but my ambition would be to be bottom half Premier League by then. 

Go up this season, 2 seasons in the Championship and away we go in the PL. 

5 years is a long time. Florists were 23 years outside the Prem , and when a £Billionaire owner took over it took him 5 years even with millions coming in for academy players. Ambition in essential for any business but in life you sometimes have to be satisfied with what you have got . In our case a solvent club.