Will Clowes patience soon run out?

old tray boy

6 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I showed some graphs a while back relating to Warne's point per game record compared with other mangers (can't remember which thread it was in). This was around 15 games ago and roughly Warne's 45th in charge. If I recall correctly, I suggested something along the lines of "it'll be important to see if we trend from this point on." At that point, Warne's overall record as very similar to Cocu's after the same number of games, and I argued if we followed a similar trend, Warne will be gone.

However, as the graph below shows, our ppg record has ever so slightly increased and is now back to where we were at the end of last season. Under Warne, we're basically a side which confirms a top 6 spot on the final day, like with Rowett and Lampard. As an owner who has set the target of promotion, Clowes will accept this and make the decision at the end of the season depending on how we do in the Playoffs (if we finish there). A drop off in results would be cause for review at this point in the season, and I refer to my post on Sunday for the suitable review periods - the next being after this batch of 6 games (4 in the league, 2 in the cup).

To avoid the playoff lottery, we will need to finish in the top 2, with 100 points being the aim at this point. At 2.5 ppg for the rest of the season, that would require Warne's overall ppg record to surpass Mac1's by the end point of my graph, improving on his current 1.60 to 1.92

image.thumb.png.39fc4728d98432bc741d87d1f2bd63aa.png

We're on 18 points after 12 games this season. 1.5 points per game. 69 points for the season.

6th place average is 74.6 according to thestatszone.com.

We're on track to fall short imo.

"You get the sense that DC is in no particular rush, and PW has time here"

"He does, and we have that on good authority that PW is going to be given the time for this process. There's a reason they picked someone like PW because they realise that when it got tough that he could hang in there and get it going again, because he's been there and done it in this division. It might not be very popular, but PW is going to be the man here who get's the time to try and get it right."

Radio Derby just now.

1 hour ago, Vimto Enjoyer said:

"You get the sense that DC is in no particular rush, and PW has time here"....

"He does, and we have that on good authority that PW is going to be given the time for this process. There's a reason they picked someone like PW because they realise that when it got tough that he could hang in there and get it going again, because he's been there and done it in this division. It might not be very popular, but PW is going to be the man here who get's the time to try and get it right."

Radio Derby just now.

What utter b*******.

On 09/10/2023 at 17:33, cool_as_custard said:

As others have said, the sense of entitlement in our fanbase is off the scale.

Entitlement ?  I think you mean expectation

Off the scale ? In the lower leagues the club’s gate defines its spending power. Our gate dwarfs most in this league - as does the value of our squad -  and we are showing little sign of challenging for promotion. 

and yet you think fans should be content ? 

3 hours ago, Vimto Enjoyer said:

"You get the sense that DC is in no particular rush, and PW has time here"

Radio Derby just now.

DC has family money on the line. It’ll be awkward just now at birthdays, weddings and christenings. But if he chucks a load of cash at Warne’s severance package then hires another failing manager, things will be a lot worse 

1 minute ago, kevinhectoring said:

DC has family money on the line. It’ll be awkward just now at birthdays, weddings and christenings. But if he chucks a load of cash at Warne’s severance package then hires another failing manager, things will be a lot worse 

You think he's caught sight of the kids' letters to Santa? 😄

4 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

We're on 18 points after 12 games this season. 1.5 points per game. 69 points for the season.

6th place average is 74.6 according to thestatszone.com.

We're on track to fall short imo.

And now it's 1.615 per game, equivalent to 74.3 points. Roughly the same as his overall average whilst managing us. Fine margins.

For as long as top 6 (or better) is realistic, Warne will stay as manager for the season.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

And now it's 1.615 per game, equivalent to 74.3 points. Roughly the same as his overall average whilst managing us. Fine margins.

For as long as top 6 (or better) is realistic, Warne will stay as manager for the season.

Ooh it's on a knife edge....a result either way can be crucial.

I've not known such excitement since, well,....

On 09/10/2023 at 17:33, cool_as_custard said:

As others have said, the sense of entitlement in our fanbase is off the scale. 

is it really though?

We are the biggest club in this division, have the best training facilities, best squad, best stadium, biggest fanbase, one of, if not the biggest wage budget, etc, etc.

8 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

is it really though?

We are the biggest club in this division, have the best training facilities, best squad, best stadium, biggest fanbase, one of, if not the biggest wage budget, etc, etc.

Generally I agree with you. However, two of the items you have listed proves the point that to an extent we do have a sense of entitlement. Just because we have the best stadium and the biggest fan base doesn’t mean we should be winning games or getting promoted. MK Dons have the best stadium in league 2 and Bradford City have the biggest fan base (I think, or thereabouts) but that doesn’t mean they should be doing better.

9 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

is it really though?

I wouldn't go as far as saying we have the best squad, it's very lop sided.  We have very good defenders, a decent midfield, but we're lacking in attack.  But as Warne has alluded to, there has been a dearth of decent strikers available unless you can pay silly money, of which we don't have.  Having said that, if they're played regularly enough I'd expect Waghorn, Collins & Washington to get 10-15 this season

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Generally I agree with you. However, two of the items you have listed proves the point that to an extent we do have a sense of entitlement. Just because we have the best stadium and the biggest fan base doesn’t mean we should be winning games or getting promoted. MK Dons have the best stadium in league 2 and Bradford City have the biggest fan base (I think, or thereabouts) but that doesn’t mean they should be doing better.

At what point should we feel entitled though? What if we were in League 2 or the National League? We were underperforming in the Championship

We’re a city with a population of 300,000. The only city in the country with a bigger population who’s team is lower than ours is Bradford. We’re also a one club city. 

2 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

At what point should we feel entitled though? What if we were in League 2 or the National League? We were underperforming in the Championship

We’re a city with a population of 300,000. The only city in the country with a bigger population who’s team is lower than ours is Bradford. We’re also a one club city. 

We should never feel "entitled" purely based on stadium size, fan base, city population, or number of teams in the city/immediate area. Our performance expectations shouldn't be based on these metrics.

1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

I wouldn't go as far as saying we have the best squad, it's very lop sided.  We have very good defenders, a decent midfield, but we're lacking in attack.  But as Warne has alluded to, there has been a dearth of decent strikers available unless you can pay silly money, of which we don't have.  Having said that, if they're played regularly enough I'd expect Waghorn, Collins & Washington to get 10-15 this season

Dom Ballard was someone I suggested in the summer. He scored 6 in 3 U21 games for Southampton before going on loan to Reading where he's got 4 goals and 2 assists in 399 minutes of action, although 2 goals and 2 assists came in 27 minutes against Exeter in the EFL Trophy.

Callum Marshall is in fine form for West Ham U21s this season, with 10 goals and 2 assists in 7 games, 1 contribution every 50 minutes!! This is after 20 goals and 4 assists in 22 U18 games last season. I think he would suit Warne's desired pressing game very well.
He scored 2 goals in the EFL Trophy against Bristol Rovers (#50)

Mark O'Mahony is another who has started the season well for Brighton U21s, with 7 goals and 3 assists in 8 games.