Who enjoys Warne's football poll?

RoyMac5

Who enjoys Warne's football?  

374 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, leamram said:

I enjoy nothing about Paul Warne, as I've said before, I thought he was a d******* at Rotherham and nothing since has changed my mind, I cant even watch his interviews anymore.

Maybe you’ll change your mind if/when he gets us promoted. 😀

Seriously though, I don’t tend to listen to his interviews as he is often incredibly annoying especially with his attempts at humour. To be honest though, most managers interviews are pretty pointless IMO apart from any injury updates.

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

Maybe you’ll change your mind if/when he gets us promoted. 😀

Seriously though, I don’t tend to listen to his interviews as he is often incredibly annoying especially with his attempts at humour. To be honest though, most managers interviews are pretty pointless IMO apart from any injury updates.

Doubtful 🤣

Like with anything it has it’s pros and cons, personally for me:

Pros - the system is built on high volume chances and moving the ball forward as quick as possible. The whole ideology is built on catching the opposition before they get chance to settle. High energy football with a lot of pressing. I just don’t feel like we have the team for it, plus the recruitment hasn’t helped either. It makes me think he knows what he wants but has been compromised either by the players willing to come to the club or the recruitment team. 

We have a number of players who simply look uncomfortable at doing what they’re being asked to do. it’s concerning. 

Now, the cons, the system to me means the players far too spread out from each other. There are gaps everywhere. The players are passing into space, because we move the ball so quickly everyone is at sixes and sevens when a move breaks down which means we are so criminally open to counter attack. It means the team can never really settle, which is possibly why the defence look so unsettled because when they have the ball all they’re really looking at is the back of people’s shirts.

I think for the system to really work, you need speed and runners in most positions.

The wide centre backs need to be able to cover ground quickly - we don’t have that. Same with the wing backs, they need to be the fittest players on the pitch, Ward can do it. We don’t have that on the left. You need legs and energy in central midfield as they’ve got to transition from defence to attack very quickly, with Thompson and Fornah, we do have some energy but I think centre midfielders as a whole are better suited to a technical, possession-based system. The strikers could probably do a bit more speed but fine for the system at this level. I personally like a player who can hold the ball up, which we don’t really have, but that’s my own preference. 

I think we have enough quality to get out of the league, comfortably, but I feel that playing the way they’re being asked isn’t helping anyone. I think just purely based on the quality we have in the team, we will finish in the top 6, but fairly sure I will remain unconvinced by performances/system even as the season develops. 

the football is too basic, there seems to be very little, if any, tactical play. We've become very predictable, and have completely lost our identity. Quite often it just seems like he's making it up as he goes, wheres the plan?

If we're going to play incredibly defensive football or going to play great attacking football, then fine just pick one. Right now it's like we just have no clue what we're doing. 

I like it in those brief interludes where it works as intended, and we are able to take advantage of its positives (catching other teams off-guard with quick, accurate and incisive passing, or early crosses when the opposition's defence isn't set) and when games like Peterborough away fall in our favour.

Those interludes are too sporadic though and don't appear to come from practised routines, it's all 'in the moment' so s*** or bust every time. The passing rarely falls into the above categories - well, except that it's pretty much always quick. It's usually anything but considered. 

When it's bust, which is more often than not, I don't like how naive defensively we are. I don't like that the manager is unconcerned with teams breaking on us, but that's intrinsic to his tactical approach and it won't change.

I don't like how we have absolutely no answer to teams sitting back / packing their box against us other than to keep hooning the crosses in toward a defence fully set in place and ready to head it away. 

Our success is reliant upon clinical finishing from us while just hoping that the opponent doesn't take advantage of the chances they create, or they don't get a goal from a lucky deflection or a dodgy refereeing decision. It isn't at all about what we do to stop the opposition carrying a threat, only how we react to it when it reaches our box. I don't like that.

All of which means that the chances of games like Peterborough falling in our favour are not weighed in our favour.

Against the poorer teams we are capable of putting in some enjoyable performances where we're more consistent over the 90 minutes. There are spells of good play against the better teams but if we don't score then it's unlikely we'll keep a clean sheet, so those points we could gain from  grinding out the odd 0-0 away from home rarely come to fruition.

In summary. I enjoy it when it works, even when sometimes it seems to work almost by accident, or because one or two players' remember that they can actually pass the ball quite well and have technical ability to produce something worth watching!

We're not trying to play horrible football, far from it, but it's basic in the extreme and when it doesn't work it's bloody awful. There also  aren't really any signs that the manager has the tactical awareness to make the necessary modifications to evolve the style to something which will enable us to consistently play the better stuff against better teams - not because he hasn't had time to show otherwise, or because things need to help, but because of things inherent to his philosophy working in the first place also cause us big problems of our own.

Edited by Kokosnuss

For me, I don't see anything wrong with his ideas on how to play football.

The problem is, he hasn't been able to bring in the players to play how he wants.

I will let you lot argue back and forth over why that is, for me we're still a club under restrictions and it's not an easy job.

Should he have a plan B, another way to play? Yes he should, however many managers are just as stubborn and have the funds to overhaul squads overnight.

I do think several fans are being way too harsh on him although Warne is partly to blame for that with his words.

If the manager is talking about promotion is the goal, fans will use that as bar to judge him by.

Lets be honest, had results gone our way and we went into this international break in the top 2, we wouldn't be sat here discussing this.

Style of football only largely becomes an issue when it doesn't produce the results.

Does feel like we've entered that Rowett MKII era, in that the mood swing back and forth.

9 minutes ago, davenportram said:

I guarantee if we’d won 5 matches everyone would be enjoying it.

we will come good keep the faith and be happy while clapping the goals and chances we actually make

But most people's argument is, we won't win enough games with this system. It's not just ugly, it looks ineffective with the players that we have and that is being kind. Most of the time it flits between looking disorganised and unorganised.  

This would be the perfect opportunity to install an ideology at the club, to recruit according to that ideology in terms of both players, manager, coaching staff and be fed down into the academy. The particular style of play we’re using right now may have gotten Rotherham up multiple times but it never kept them up. There’s been plenty teams that have done this and had success.

The manager should always look within first and offer pathways to the first team which in turn will be a selling my point when recruiting young talent. This could also help keep the cost of recruitment down.

The idea that we can’t play a more expansive, positive style of football in league one is ridiculous. These Sunday league style tactics may get us up but they won’t keep us up. 

I still fully expect promotion but we would need to totally change the squad again as about 80% are not good enough for the championship and whilst we continue to discourage passing the football in a meaningful way to the levels I hope to see and enjoy its very hard to be positive about what is served up