Who enjoys Warne's football poll?

RoyMac5

Who enjoys Warne's football?  

374 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have nothing against Paul Warne as a man and as a manager he’s shown himself to be successful but for me it comes down to this:

Normally knowing it’s an international break ruins my week because there’ll be no derby match.

It hasn’t ruined my week this week because I knew I wouldn’t be on here wondering why we’re being outplayed by a team with a smaller budget than us again.

Wondering why it is that teams with worse players than us can control and dominate games but we look scared to hold the ball for less than 5 seconds before hitting the channels. 

In my opinion and I understand others will see it differently but Our most successful spell under Warne came with a hybrid of Rosenior and Warne tactics - the possession based play but with a demand for a bit more urgency and a bit more directness. It wasn’t all kick and chase when he first came in. Then call it tiredness, call it Warne getting his ideas across, call it playing better teams, the wheels fell off and we managed a spectacular drop that makes him very lucky to still be in a job. 

We’ve got footballers not athletes and until Warne plays to their strengths the football is going to look turgid but we’ll still win more than we lose because we have better players than most other teams. 

Difficult to answer really at this point. I haven’t enjoyed what I’ve seen so far. However, the first few games were a bit of a mess due to individual errors that cost us and caused us to look very nervous at the back. The midfield was slow which offered no support at either end of the pitch. 
We then got all the injuries and had to change formation, and managed to get some new younger legs in. 
I will reserve judgement for a couple months when the players are back to see whether I actually like it or not. 

10 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Difficult to answer really at this point. I haven’t enjoyed what I’ve seen so far. However, the first few games were a bit of a mess due to individual errors that cost us and caused us to look very nervous at the back. The midfield was slow which offered no support at either end of the pitch. 
We then got all the injuries and had to change formation, and managed to get some new younger legs in. 
I will reserve judgement for a couple months when the players are back to see whether I actually like it or not. 

We’ve seen nearly 11 months of him managing us? 

18 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

That’s ridiculous. There were games under Clough that we absolutely played opponents off the park. There were lots of other games where it was boring unfortunately but his brief was ‘keep us in the division, get rid of everyone who earns anything more than peanuts’. 

Clough’s biggest problem was he was too quick to go away from playing good football if we had a sticky patch.  We’d start out playing great stuff, have a couple of defeats down the line, then go straight to trying to grind out wins for months.  The big difference for me though, was that I think Clough wanted us playing good football, even if he couldn’t always make it happen.  And if he couldn’t make it happen, he was willing to compromise to try and get something working (we definitely didn’t play great football the season we had Shackell and Barker, but we were solid and ground out plenty of results).  I’m not sure either of those apply to Warne.

22 hours ago, David said:

Starting to get the feeling you're not a fan of our manager, would I be close at all?

Lol. I’m starting to think he doesn’t know what he is doing 😞 and it isn’t good to see. Afew good wins will change all that though! #COYR

I think we have a weaker starting lineup than last year and the only reason we might be in with a sniff is there are fewer strong teams around us.

McGoldrick masked our lack of class last year. 

All that’s left is huff and puff.

We’ll beat the straw, we’ll beat the sticks, but we won’t beat the bricks 😊

IMG_1519.jpeg

14 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I thought this poll was “allegedly” just to find out if anyone was actually enjoying the football and not just another excuse to criticise PW. There are plenty of other threads that are fit for that purpose.

You're slightly naive if you thought that if you looked at whom started this poll in the first place......

Idle hands with the 2 week international break methinks. 

13 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

You're slightly naive if you thought that if you looked at whom started this poll in the first place......

I know. The post was just my not so subtle attempt at suggesting the purpose of the thread wasn’t really to see who was enjoying the football. That’s why I put allegedly in inverted commas. 

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

I don’t agree with this at all. Plymouth played scintillating football last year. Why can’t we aim to go up playing good stuff? 

That’s ridiculous. There were games under Clough that we absolutely played opponents off the park. There were lots of other games where it was boring unfortunately but his brief was ‘keep us in the division, get rid of everyone who earns anything more than peanuts’. 

The football when he got Kuqi together with bueno and commons. Unreal. 14 points from 6 games and then an unfortunate drop off of form meant that he was too cautious to continue with that combination of attackers.

Then there was the hammering of Millwall away and the 24 pass team goal for Bryson in the season he was sacked. 

In his 5 seasons with us he finished 18th, 14th 19th 12th and 10th whilst always trimming the budget and cutting the clothe. You take that weird 19th finish away and that’s a brilliant example of long term improvement and squad building. 

I’d go as far as to say I think that Clough would have had us exactly where other managers had us eventually. The club just panicked with attendances and pushed the button. I’ll always respect the superb job he did. Arrived to a team in free fall with a forest sized squad of overpaid players. Left after guiding us to tenth with a really good hungry squad that only took the ‘shackles being removed’ to absolutely fly. 

242491B1-CB1C-4BCC-8291-29DA41E06B36.png

Quality post regards clough jnr 

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

I have nothing against Paul Warne as a man and as a manager he’s shown himself to be successful but for me it comes down to this:

Normally knowing it’s an international break ruins my week because there’ll be no derby match.

It hasn’t ruined my week this week because I knew I wouldn’t be on here wondering why we’re being outplayed by a team with a smaller budget than us again.

Wondering why it is that teams with worse players than us can control and dominate games but we look scared to hold the ball for less than 5 seconds before hitting the channels. 

In my opinion and I understand others will see it differently but Our most successful spell under Warne came with a hybrid of Rosenior and Warne tactics - the possession based play but with a demand for a bit more urgency and a bit more directness. It wasn’t all kick and chase when he first came in. Then call it tiredness, call it Warne getting his ideas across, call it playing better teams, the wheels fell off and we managed a spectacular drop that makes him very lucky to still be in a job. 

We’ve got footballers not athletes and until Warne plays to their strengths the football is going to look turgid but we’ll still win more than we lose because we have better players than most other teams. 

Well this topic has surprised me , wasn’t going to bother reading it but there has been some decent worth reading balanced opinions expressed by some posters not keen on what they have seen of warne so far and how they expect things will pan out with him going forward rather than just the offensive poo spewed out by some with little to no thought and obviously not a clue that we have seen some very enjoyable stuff under him ,

your hybrid observation is spot on in my view and I’m hoping warne can see that and it’s what he’s actually aiming for ,,, 👍

im ok to give a bit of time yet to see where he goes

48 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Your cynicism does you no credit. I started the thread for the exact reason I said. I think it gives a clearer picture of how Derby fans are feeling atm. Just because you can’t see the difference between a poll on whether the manager’s position should be reassessed and how that manager plays our football, doesn’t mean that there isn’t one. It means you can’t or don’t want to see it.

Are you enjoying the football under Warne?

2 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Anyone else wondering why it’s possible that 17% of the voters still don’t know if they do or don’t like Paul Warne’s style of football?  There’s hope for the Tories yet.

I’m surprised it’s as low as 17%. Some of us are prepared to reserve judgement just a little bit longer before forming an opinion. Yes I know he was manager for most of last season but with an inherited squad of players. Even the team now clearly isn’t his ideal team (even if we acknowledge a lot of the rumours were probably nothing more than that: rumours, he clearly missed out on a few targets for reasons unknown to us) but I will give him a few more games yet before committing myself as to whether I like his style of football or not.

Also on the point made re hybrid of liams and warnes football it got me thinking back to how we often saw five minutes aimless dangerous passing round the back only to end with a big hoof up the pitch, remember being frustrated and thinking ffs if we are going to hoof it at least do it early before the opposition are set 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Archied

28 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Your cynicism does you no credit. I started the thread for the exact reason I said. I think it gives a clearer picture of how Derby fans are feeling atm. Just because you can’t see the difference between a poll on whether the manager’s position should be reassessed and how that manager plays our football, doesn’t mean that there isn’t one. It means you can’t or don’t want to see it.

To what end @RoyMac5? I can see a fairly clear correlation between the dissatisfaction you and others are feeling and the potential intent of this poll. It appears to me not to be an objective fact finding mission but more an attempt to confirm your own conclusions. And I’m happy to be called a cynic for coming to that conclusion.

It’s clear there’s discontent amongst the fan base, it’s potentially growing discontent too. Almost every thread in this part of the forum is hijacked by this same binary model of you either like it or you don’t, you either like Warne or you don’t. Nothing in life is ever that simple in my experience.
I haven’t voted in the poll as I have enjoyed the football at times over the last 11 months, and I’m not enjoying it currently, but it’s a fluid and changing situation. If we go on a run of wins people will be more likely to enjoy it, others who have made it clear their preferences on style of play perhaps won’t regardless of any wins. I’m just not sure what another poll or thread discussing this specific topic does to change the ongoing debate one way or another? Some are happy, some aren’t; some are keen for Warne to leave, some are more willing to give him time; some are content to have a club to support each week regardless, others have a burning desire to see the club return to its glory sooner rather than later.
Everyone is entitled to feel how they do and form their own opinions. This poll will do little to change that other than to spark more debate and disagreement, which I suppose is the point of the forum and makes my ramblings moot. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 😂 

I’ll just get back to sitting on my rickety fence.

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

46 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

My cynicism must be matched then by your monotonous predictability. 

To aid removing my cynical attitude start a thread extolling some positives about Paul Warne as a manager without again delving back into the same behaviour of generating it to make the point that you can't find any. Or that you like the colour of his eyes or his bobble hats.

Until I see one of those threads appear then my cynicism of the motives of you starting a "new" thread will continue. 

34 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I’m surprised it’s as low as 17%. Some of us are prepared to reserve judgement just a little bit longer before forming an opinion. Yes I know he was manager for most of last season but with an inherited squad of players. Even the team now clearly isn’t his ideal team (even if we acknowledge a lot of the rumours were probably nothing more than that: rumours, he clearly missed out on a few targets for reasons unknown to us) but I will give him a few more games yet before committing myself as to whether I like his style of football or not.

He’s been playing the same style for 7 years. He won’t change 😉